Tantrum DVC 12 sub with Tantrum 300.2 amp wiring advice

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
coffeedragon

Tantrum DVC 12 sub with Tantrum 300.2 amp wiring advice

Post by coffeedragon »

Thanks to Rold Gold i've got a replacement for my blown Tantrum 12 but now I'm faced with a question. My blown sub was a SVC hooked to my bridged 300.2 so it was getting 300w at 4ohm, which is what both the amp and sub were rated for. The new sub is DVC 4ohm so I've got four options, but I don't know which is best.

Only connect one VC and hand it 300w at 4ohm

Connect the VC in parallel and feed them each 300 at 2ohm

Connect the VC in series and feed them each 300 at 8ohm

Connect each VC to one channel out of the amp and drive each at 150 at 4ohm

The amp is rated stable at 4ohm so I'm not sure if it's even a good idea to run it bridged to both coils at 300w 2ohm but it seems like a waste to run it at 300w 8ohm. Should I give up and just run one coil the way I had the last one or can I trust my amp at 2ohm? I don abuse my gear, the gain is rarely past 40-50% so could it handle 300w at 2ohm?

Someone help a guy who's forgotten way too much about this stuff after not touching it for eight years :-)
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Tantrum DVC 12 sub with Tantrum 300.2 amp wiring advice

Post by Bfowler »

hmm, its not really an ideal set up. i would recommend NOT just running 1 coil so the amp sees 4ohms bridged. and if you run 1 coil with each channel, it would be the same as running it at 8ohms bridged (each channel would see 4ohms, so it wold make 75watts per coil, not 150)

you can get away with running the tantrums at 2ohms bridged if you built some sort of cooling rack with fans and play it responsibly
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Bfowler wrote: you can get away with running the tantrums at 2ohms bridged if you built some sort of cooling rack with fans and play it responsibly

This was my thought when I offered it to you. As long as there is some sort of airflow over the amp I see no problem but if you crank on it the amp may not last too long. But as I recall, you said you took it easy on yer gear and that things wouldn't be railed on......

I'm confident you can run this combo without issue.......
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

2 ohm, wire it in parelell. it'll be fine.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

I agree the amp can defiantly handle it the sub will probably sound better
coffeedragon

Post by coffeedragon »

I dropped into World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville PA to pick their brain about the setup. I bought the whole kit from them years ago and do a lot of business with them (really sharp guys there, can't say enough good stuff about them). He suggested bridging the amp and hooking up the coils in series. The amp would see a 4ohm load and push 300A, which is identical to the way I had it setup with the old sub. I wired it all up, included an extra lead for the blue LED which was never hooked up, and it sounds just the way I remember.

I know wiring it in series instead would cut the impedance in half but I don't know that I need any more power. With the gain at about 35%-40% I've got more than enough punch. It's installed in a Honda Element which is like a giant bass tube so I don't have to turn it up far. Unless running the coils in series for a 2ohm load will give me more detailed bass, I don't see any need to change the setup...

...for now that is :-) I've got my eyes on two pairs of Memphis Sync 6.5 components and a Memphis Belle amp which would significantly bump up the rest of the system. I might need more bass to keep up with those beautiful speakers!
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

if u wired them in series u r at 8ohms and the amp is seeing 4ohms bridged so u r not getting the full power out of the amp so less than 300 if u run the coils in parelell the sub will be at 2ohms and the amp will see 1ohm and u will get a little more than 300 out of it
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

coffeedragon wrote:He suggested bridging the amp and hooking up the coils in series. The amp would see a 4ohm load and push 300A, which is identical to the way I had it setup with the old sub.
Zuh? A DVC 4 ohm in series is an 8 ohm load, which means 150 watts from the amp. Not surprised you don't notice a big difference, because every doubling of power is roughly only 3 decibels difference. You should give it a shot at 2 ohms anyways... with the gains down low the amp should handle that (despite getting hot), and will still put out over 300w.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

to reiterate the last couple posts, the worldwide sterio guys may have misunderstood what VC config you had.

get some computer fans and build a small cooling rack for it, and rock that thing at 2 ohms!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...