Cutting diodes on zeropoint 0.5 ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
SAM77H

Cutting diodes on zeropoint 0.5 ?

Post by SAM77H »

According to Phoenix Gold

" So how do we get max power at 2 ohms bridged? Disable the switching power supply to stay in High Voltage, this is easily done by snipping two diodes underneath the far left IC chip on the vertical board that has the Power LED's on it. It will stay in High Voltage and produce some impressive amounts of power into 2 ohm bridged. I highly suggest you contact Phoenix Gold Technical Support and get the schematic that shows you the exact diodes to cut, if you are thinking of doing this."

Does anyone have this schematic and have you done this? Just curious.
Pioneer Avic HD3
Alpine H701
Hybrid Audio L8 L4 L1ProSE
MS275
ZPA 0.3
ZPA 0.5
Phoenix Gold XMax 12 x2
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Re: Cutting diodes on zeropoint 0.5 ?

Post by The Golden One »

ive done it to a 0.3 a long time ago although the old phoenix gold site told how to do it i don't think it had photos, there was a guy that had a website dedicated to phoenix gold that showed pics, the only thing is his website is no longer around. maybe you can email the new phoenix gold and they can send you some pics. maybe they can help but dont get your hopes up, because when i asked them if i could power my front speakers with the mod dude didnt even know about the mod talk about a noob. :)
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

I guess we starting to show our age ! :-)
Pioneer Avic HD3
Alpine H701
MS275
ZPA 0.3
ZPA 0.5
Phoenix Gold XMax 12 x2
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The Golden One wrote:ive done it to a 0.3 a long time ago although the old phoenix gold site told how to do it i don't think it had photos, there was a guy that had a website dedicated to phoenix gold that showed pics, the only thing is his website is no longer around. maybe you can email the new phoenix gold and they can send you some pics. maybe they can help but dont get your hopes up, because when i asked them if i could power my front speakers with the mod dude didnt even know about the mod talk about a noob. :)
I think you have that the other way around. Not knowing if you can power your front speakers using the ZPA mod is way more of a "noob" then not knowing about a tweak done to a 15 year old obsolete amplifier. All the diode mod does is lock the amp in the high voltage mode. This does not change anything related to the amp's ability to run front speakers.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Here ya go.
Attachments
ZPA Amp Mod.jpg
ZPA Amp Mod.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 11153 times
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

Eric D wrote:
The Golden One wrote:ive done it to a 0.3 a long time ago although the old phoenix gold site told how to do it i don't think it had photos, there was a guy that had a website dedicated to phoenix gold that showed pics, the only thing is his website is no longer around. maybe you can email the new phoenix gold and they can send you some pics. maybe they can help but dont get your hopes up, because when i asked them if i could power my front speakers with the mod dude didnt even know about the mod talk about a noob. :)
I think you have that the other way around. Not knowing if you can power your front speakers using the ZPA mod is way more of a "noob" then not knowing about a tweak done to a 15 year old obsolete amplifier. All the diode mod does is lock the amp in the high voltage mode. This does not change anything related to the amp's ability to run front speakers.
i don't exactly want to blow my $1200 speaker's on something that could cause the amp to be unstable from it's normal operation, and the zpa's are hardly obsolete no matter how old they are. since you made the wrong choice in amps from the start that make's your opinion obsolete, your junk fosgate amp's were obsolete when they came new out of the factory.
(Phoenix Gold) "Triple-Darlington High Definition Amplifier" (Rockford Fosjunk) "Triple-Distortion No Definition Amp on Fire"
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

oh boy, HERE WE GO!!!!

damn I wish I could eat popcorn....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
SAM77H

Post by SAM77H »

ttocs wrote:oh boy, HERE WE GO!!!!

damn I wish I could eat popcorn....
LOL and I just wanted some info....................

Thanks dwnrodeo !
Pioneer Avic HD3
Alpine H701
MS275
ZPA 0.3
ZPA 0.5
Phoenix Gold XMax 12 x2
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

The Golden One wrote:i don't exactly want to blow my $1200 speaker's on something that could cause the amp to be unstable from it's normal operation, and the zpa's are hardly obsolete no matter how old they are. since you made the wrong choice in amps from the start that make's your opinion obsolete, your junk fosgate amp's were obsolete when they came new out of the factory.
My pragmatism has kicked in.
ob·so·lete/ˌäbsəˈlēt/
Verb: Cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new: "we're obsoleting last year's designs".
Adjective: No longer produced or used; out of date.
Pretty sure that Eric used the word "obsolete" correctly. Perhaps you're attaching something inherently negative to the term, but there really isn't any. As great as the ZPAs are, they are obsolete.

Also, there's no need to disparage anyone because of any brands they may or may not like.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

The Golden One wrote:since you made the wrong choice in amps from the start that make's your opinion obsolete, your junk fosgate amp's were obsolete when they came new out of the factory.
i'm not sure if you fully understand where is username came from. at anyrate, i dont think he was attacking you or insulting you, so dont get too defensive yet
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Bfowler wrote:
The Golden One wrote:since you made the wrong choice in amps from the start that make's your opinion obsolete, your junk fosgate amp's were obsolete when they came new out of the factory.
i'm not sure if you fully understand where is username came from. at anyrate, i dont think he was attacking you or insulting you, so dont get too defensive yet
I would take that advice and add to it that if you want to get into a technical battle of wits then you might want to pick a better opponant. I would not want to head-to-head with him on his internal knowledge of how amps work is probably as good as anyone on here(when alex is not here). He has been in the industry for as long as anyone I know and just from reading the posts between you two I would really really advise you to think about what you are saying before you type it. You will one day want his advice........
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

im not scared i was taught by audiophiles when i was quite young on how to properly chose an amp and also a few amp tecs on how to repair amps. guess what of all the amps to pay money for fosgate was not on the list, even before i was a pg fan when i was 14 i had a little fultron amp now 'memphis audio' and with this humble little amp i dusted a punch 50 that was running 4 10's and i only had two 10's. my sound was twice as clear and it was even louder, that was enough to determine how {weak and pathetic those bacon bit microchip scap junk amp's} really are. and at 15 i entered the real of phoenix gold and the sound just stomps a mud hole in that worthless junk. :shock:
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

The Golden One wrote:im not scared i was taught by audiophiles when i was quite young on how to properly chose an amp and also a few amp tecs on how to repair amps.
Are those the same audiophiles that told you
The Golden One wrote: and as far as the on and off axis thing goes if the amp is powerfully dynamic like say a phoenix gold amp the sound will be projected out to where it is only effected at very low listening levels.
?

Look, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but when you go passing on these opinions as fact they can be deceiving to newer members here seeking advice or help. Can you elaborate as to why RF amps are junk other than "it was twice as clear and it was even louder"? I would like to see some blind AB testing between RF and PG to see which one sounds better, maybe even some actual bench tests. Oh wait, Eric D already did that and backed it up with some A/B testing: http://www.soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Au ... index.html
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the audiophiles suggested fultron? memphis had some good stuff but I would not have put fultron into a catagory with any of them.

making a blanket statement that RF is junk just makes you sound like an overanxious PG fan(again) and anyone that has any experience at all would just take that statement as complete BS and ignor it. They have made many good amps but anyone that sticks 4 10s on a punch 50 needs a little more info and help choosing his gear and some more education as to why it might sound better with only 1 er 2. Would you have been louder and still called them junk if he had stepped up into something in the power series that is made to push 4 subs? I would like to say no but I am afraid that even if he had a power 1000 you would still tell us the fultron rocked him. Basically what I am saying is that it is hard to take anything you say not with a grain of salt but with out a SALT BLOCK........
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

my sound was twice as clear and it was even louder, that was enough to determine how {weak and pathetic those bacon bit microchip scap junk amp's} really are. :study:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

IT WAS A PUNCH 50 ON 4 TENS.......... if your amp was not more clear and loud then it meant you had screwed up worse then him...

again, are you calling the power series amps weak too? yes you are by your statement above and it just shows you do not know as much as you may think
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

ttocs wrote:IT WAS A PUNCH 50 ON 4 TENS.......... if your amp was not more clear and loud then it meant you had screwed up worse then him...

again, are you calling the power series amps weak too? yes you are by your statement above and it just shows you do not know as much as you may think
wrong amp era son, they didn't have those amp's yet this was a time when the quality was the most important factor in choosing an amp, fosgate showed that they where {ten years behind all other amps of that era fact}. :oops:
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

by your statement, it would not matter what era RF was in they were still making crappy amps right? The punch and power series were out at the same time though so I am not sure what era you were in. Punch series was their entry level in that era, power series was the big boys.....

and again I am not sure I would have put fultron in the quality series, maybe just above a jensen really..
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

ttocs wrote:by your statement, it would not matter what era RF was in they were still making crappy amps right? The punch and power series were out at the same time though so I am not sure what era you were in. Punch series was their entry level in that era, power series was the big boys.....

and again I am not sure I would have put fultron in the quality series, maybe just above a jensen really..
there's an amp called the Memphis Belle that is a fultron amp fact, its a 6 channel powerhouse, it was a force to be reckoned with within that era another fact. 75x4 150x2 @4 ohms stereo
150x4 300x2@2ohms stereo
300x2 600x1 @4 ohms mono
very nice amp by the way
Last edited by The Golden One on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there was an amp called the power 1000 that would bury that amp too.............
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

Let me get the popcorn I see this is going to get good
The Golden One
Quarantined
Quarantined

Post by The Golden One »

ttocs wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there was an amp called the power 1000 that would bury that amp too.............
yea with distortion excuse me the highest level of distortion, the memphis belle is an sq amp not an amp for distortion lovers you must love that distorted prehistoric scap junk called fosgate and i feel for ya. :)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

its always good when the golden one get into it. Just pull yer waders up real high so ya don't get non on ya!
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

OMG guy funny.
Golden if you think RF is crap back in the day cool
but i would put them for SQ up there with pg,ppi,soundstream yet pg is the only one sold and ran into problems. I would put money in a blind test that you could not here the diffence. also any amp can and will have distortion its the user and how they set things
if you have a m25 and try to run a jl 12w7 gain all full the amp will get hot and clip same with a small rf same with any amp you have used.

your vs are just plain $#@! its like saying the honda civic is crap vs a porche!!! how can the make that base model pos
but it you just need a reliable car 4 door its great not to say it will last longer for less.
I didn't hear you talk about some of the real SQ amp of back in the day? Audison, Mcintosh, hell even canadian made blade amps... I enjoy what you have to say trust me its a good laugh
:D
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was sure I was no the only one that enjoys the good laughs his posts give us. What funny is that he isn't tryin to be funny, he is serious. Not sure how he expects anyone to take him seriously