Paint, not carpet?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
capitolj80

Paint, not carpet?

Post by capitolj80 »

Hey guys. I'm nearing that awesome time when I get to make my latest audio endeavor a reality (YEEEEAAAY!) I've decided that I'm gonna build the enclosure this time to save some bucks and get it just how I want it. What I'd really like to do is not have it carpeted, though. I wanna round the edges, mud the seams, sand the shit out of it, and do a sweet paint job!! However, I wonder how this will affect things acoustically :shock: . I know a carpeted box will reduce reflections, but would I actually notice the difference? Am I likely to get any more noticeable cancellations or anyting like that? Thnx :)
what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Paint, not carpet?

Post by Bfowler »

capitolj80 wrote:Hey guys. I'm nearing that awesome time when I get to make my latest audio endeavor a reality (YEEEEAAAY!) I've decided that I'm gonna build the enclosure this time to save some bucks and get it just how I want it. What I'd really like to do is not have it carpeted, though. I wanna round the edges, mud the seams, sand the shit out of it, and do a sweet paint job!! However, I wonder how this will affect things acoustically :shock: . I know a carpeted box will reduce reflections, but would I actually notice the difference? Am I likely to get any more noticeable cancellations or anyting like that? Thnx :)
i dont think it will cause reflections or anything at all! i pait boxes all the time! in fact. the bedliner in a can adds some texture and is one of my favorite ways to finish a box
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

oooooo, the texture of that bed liner spray would make for some nice accents if properly placed in the design :) thnx for the info and the idea!
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The outside of the box is all up to you, as it does not matter. What is on the inside is a whole different story...
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Eric D wrote:The outside of the box is all up to you, as it does not matter. What is on the inside is a whole different story...
What do you think of polyfill? Is it true that it actually shows a bigger surface to the speaker than the housing itself has?
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
holmis

Post by holmis »

joerg wrote:
Eric D wrote:The outside of the box is all up to you, as it does not matter. What is on the inside is a whole different story...
What do you think of polyfill? Is it true that it actually shows a bigger surface to the speaker than the housing itself has?

I belive so... & help breaking up standing waves in the cabinet.
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

joerg wrote:
I always use it on boxes where people are after SQ. I always use it on my own boxes.

Honestly, I don't know if it makes all the difference, but I still use it.

When I build a box for myself, I make it from 3/4 MDF, then I brace it with more MDF. I then coat the inside with VB-1, and fill with polyfill when dry.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

you would have to be made of gold to hear the difference in a carpted box or a painted one.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

ttocs wrote:you would have to be made of gold to hear the difference in a carpted box or a painted one.
Golden Ears would be enough :lol:
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

eh the whole gold thing just seems second rate now... maybe platinum or titanium sounds better since golden one brought that whole color down.
finbar

Post by finbar »

When I build a box for myself, I make it from 3/4 MDF, then I brace it with more MDF. I then coat the inside with VB-1, and fill with polyfill when dry.
What's VB-1 ?

Here is an article on box stuffing from 1995 Car Stereo Review......

:D
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

its a spray or paint on sound dampener. ads a sort of rubberized texture to things

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=268-256
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

I've heard of that spray...dont some people actually use it to deaden their vehicles instead of press on matting? I'm actually thinking of using some roofing shingles inside of the the box because of is deadening qualities. I have access to a bunch of it and i was thinking I would put down a flat layer, then some angled "fins" on top of that...then i get deadening AND deflection :) Still not sure if I'm getting the RSdC122's or the Pioneer Champion Pro's. Kinda depends of whether or not I can get my hands on any of the RSdc's or not. This will dictate if the box is sealed(rsdc's) or ported(pioneers). If I end up going with the pioneers, I'll be back for some help designing it :wink: Thnx for all the input guys :D
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

roofing shingles inside the box? I would just save the time, not sure what that will buy ya.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Don't use shingles, they fall apart.

Only a liquid or spray would work in the box, as anything self adhesive (like Dynamat) will not stick well to MDF. Unless you paint the inside of the box, then it might stick.

I have built literally hundreds of boxes when I worked for a local car audio install shop. Only a handful of them had polyfill, and none of them had any internal coating (unless they had a plexi window, then I painted the inside of the box). The majority of them sounded just fine. Going the extra mile on your own stuff makes sense, but there is a point of diminishing returns.
12voltjunky

Post by 12voltjunky »

I have used rubberized undercoating (maybe similar to VB-1) inside boxes before, however, IME if the box is built and sealed properly it makes little difference. I have limited experience with the rubberized undercoating because it can be messy and become brittle and dry over time. Perhaps others have had different results or used superior products?
If you read up on acoustical transmission lines and the varying theories behind such enclosures, fibrous stuffing has major effects on sound output. However, these impacts tend to be more dramatic at higher frequesncies than most of us would send to a subwoofer. (transmission lines are often used in full-range, home audio applications where a single speaker is employed to reproduce all of the frequesncies being played.)

but to get back on topic, a painted box IMO looks way better than most carpeted boxes. I emphasize the word "most."
1- Zx 400 Ti
1- Ti 600.2
1- Ti 500.4 (resurrected by valeks1)
2- Ti 500.4
2- Ti 1000.2
2-Ti RMD, Lpl, PG 1/0 Ga
Ti 6.5 comps, Ti 5x7 coaxials
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Here ya go.... If you can do this I'd take it over carpet anyday 8)
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosur ... y-can.html
Welcome!
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

wow, that mirror finish looks awesome! I won't be putting that kind of time into the project, though :) I was gonna bond the shingles inside with silicone or wood glue, but from what you guys say, it won't be worth my time so I guess I'll pass on that. I'm still gonna do a nice paint job on it though :P thnx for all the info!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if you do it, don't take any pictures and do not ever tell anyone you did it.........
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

lol, why not!
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

How about hot tar & gravel on the inside? Pour it in a hole and roll it around to spread it, now thats damping!
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

HAHAHA :clap:
12voltjunky

Post by 12voltjunky »

ttocs wrote:if you do it, don't take any pictures and do not ever tell anyone you did it.........
LMAO :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
1- Zx 400 Ti
1- Ti 600.2
1- Ti 500.4 (resurrected by valeks1)
2- Ti 500.4
2- Ti 1000.2
2-Ti RMD, Lpl, PG 1/0 Ga
Ti 6.5 comps, Ti 5x7 coaxials