98 MK3 VW Golf/Jetta Speaker Question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Phoenixcolt

98 MK3 VW Golf/Jetta Speaker Question

Post by Phoenixcolt »

I have tweeters in my rear door interior handles and was wondering how difficult those are to change out. I would just as soon leave them there and use the 6.5" speaker holes in the doors for coaxes if the factory tweets are a pain. I will only be using the rear speakers if people are back there anyway but if sound is still going to be coming out of those factory tweets, it will bother me to know that.

Whatever headunit I use will allow me to shut the rears off and the rears will only receive headunit power when they are on, no amp to them. Should I change those out or leave them AND just add coaxes? If I add coaxes, will the tweeters respond to me shutting off the rears as the coaxes would or do they run some odd way?
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Do you have speakers in the rear window already from the factory at all? If so then the tweeters in the door are not tweeters but blanks.

Don't waste the effort.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

They are real tweeters, I have seen what the blanks look like in my girlfriends car, but what do you mean by speakers in the rear window? It is the K2 version so I believe it has the upgraded sound system...though they are supposed to have rear hatch speakers but I didn't notice those...I haven't picked up the car yet, I was checking it out today.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

If the rear window speakers are not present (easily seen) then the door tweeters are real and should be no more difficult to access then taking off the door panel.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Since I do not care too much about the backseat sound because I am gonna have this kickass front stage, would I be safe just adding a pair of coaxes and leaving the factory tweets? Will the wiring work out so that when I turned the rear sound off, the tweets would turn off with the coaxes?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Why swap the rear speakers at all?
Boomshackalacka
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Well there are none in there right now, the previous owner took them out.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

just get a set of coaxial speakers to drop in the door and disconnect the factory tweeters.

some decks allow you to disable the on-board amplifier. if yours does this then turning the rear speakers on and off is as simple as manipulating the deck's amp in the setup menu. if your deck doesn't have it then you could utilize the fader to eliminate the rear speakers when you don't have rear passengers.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yeah I know a lot of the clarions have the feature and I loved it my last setup but then I went to a pioneer 7600 and that thing kicked butt too for speaker manipulation because you can shut the rear, center, and sub rca outputs off individually.

So i probably will just drop the coaxes in there I just hope the tweets are easy to disable, I don't know how simple the wiring is to get to though if it is set up through the normal factory wiring and the tweet works while the coax also works, then it should disable as the coax would if I am running it out of the deck and taking advantage of the amp canceller or the pioneer shutoffs but guess I will have to play with it...

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12