MPS 2500 internal fuses

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
sakaze_mps

MPS 2500 internal fuses

Post by sakaze_mps »

Hi everyone! Recently joined after finding great instructions with re-capping MPS 2500 thru google search. Anyhow, I made the mistake of letting my technician friend to repair my amp several years ago and realized the fuses have been ghetto-rigged. It's the small fuses near the center of the amp. He soldered larger fuses on on it. Fortunately, it was easy to remove. I'd like to know what rating and type the originals were. Also, want to make sure the larger ones near the end are the correct ones too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to re-capping my MPS-2500 soon! I am the original owner of this amp and bought new back in the 90's. Glad that I never sold it! Regret selling my other PG amps though - MS2125, MS2250, M44 & M100. At least I kept my favorite out of the bunch though 8).

Great site. Can't wait to read up on the great info and how-to's.

One more thing before I end this message, is there anything I should or could do to update it or make it better? If the question has been answered, just a link to the thread or PM would suffice. I did a quick search and unable to find anything yet. Will keep searching and reading though so any reference/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
interestingfellow

Re: MPS 2500 internal fuses

Post by interestingfellow »

Well.... I don't know what I'm doing, and I burned up a recently acquired 2500. I did recap it, but it had some other issue. I'm getting an rma number from AAMP now.

BUT, the end fuses are 30amp
the wee ones are 10a GMA buss fuses.

if it's of any help, i have several pictures of mine (before and after the meltdown) here http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu44 ... l/mps2500/

And it's my understanding that upgrading the amp to increase output is not easy, per se. It requires changing out most of the components to increase the rail voltage, and other components to allow that difference to go through (not to sound like an obvious stooge).
The only real "easy".... "upgrade" is to go team current, and get rid of the fuses (I don't really know what I'm talking about there, but that is the gist of it).

Good luck!
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Coo ... zKCEX4o%3d here is the link to the gmc 10 amp fuses.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
rolandk

Post by rolandk »

The 10A fuses were supposed to protect the power supply in the event of a catastrophic channel failure. In real life I don't think they ever worked as intended. When the MPS2500 is run in a rediculously low impedence those fuses would sometimes open up when the amp was working fine, just drawing a shxtload of current so people bypassed them completely. IIRC (its been a few years) but I believe some of the TA amps came from the factory with them bypassed.
sakaze_mps

Post by sakaze_mps »

much thanks guys! i'm gonna do a recap soon. :clap: