Chevy Silverado Owners ? Or installers ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
SLICK

Chevy Silverado Owners ? Or installers ?

Post by SLICK »

Looking for some help setting up a friend and his 09 Chevy silverado crew cab . He wants subs but he wants them the rear seat .

Anyone done one of them before ?

- Slick
Our Rides :
2008 Ford EdGe Limited , Blazin Copper
2004 Ford SVT Lightning , Dark Shadow Grey 5.4L Eaton Supercharged . Powered By Memphis .
2003 Dodge Ram - Stock Stereo , Added Memphis sub and Amp
1997 Dodge Ram - Kenwood / Soundstream / Eclipse / Memphis / Rockford Fosgate / PG

My PG collection : For Sale.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Chevy Silverado Owners ? Or installers ?

Post by ttocs »

pretty sure there is enough room under them for a slim box and a slim woofer.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
SLICK

Post by SLICK »

ttocs wrote:pretty sure there is enough room under them for a slim box and a slim woofer.

Want to go behind the seat if possible .
Our Rides :
2008 Ford EdGe Limited , Blazin Copper
2004 Ford SVT Lightning , Dark Shadow Grey 5.4L Eaton Supercharged . Powered By Memphis .
2003 Dodge Ram - Stock Stereo , Added Memphis sub and Amp
1997 Dodge Ram - Kenwood / Soundstream / Eclipse / Memphis / Rockford Fosgate / PG

My PG collection : For Sale.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

its been so long I can't remember. I think there was just enough space behind the seats in a ford if you took out the back carpet but not so on a chevy. I might have them confused but I am fairly sure I have seen alot of system built almost completely under the seat, subs, amps and all. On alot of them you could not even tell its there if you are going for stealth. Check out cardomain and see what they have done.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Pretty sure what ttocs said is right...there is only room underneath the rear seat. The rear seat is right up against the back of the cab.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Not sure on an '09 but I owned a '97 and I used a self powered Kenwood 10" in a bazooka tube under the drivers side rear bench. Sounded great and was more than enough bass for my needs.

I know the new body style has a BUNCH more room than my old body style did and if I'm not mistaken you could do two 15"s in a slim box ported behind the rear seat. And if someone needs more than that, they're nuts.
Boomshackalacka
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

You could do something like this

Or maybe this, which is actually a prefab box from Pioneer & fit very well.

Cant remember the years, but I believe they were both newer Silverados.
Both are 10" shallow Pioneer subs, which were pretty impressive for a first wave of shallow subs, but todays market def has better options available.
Tone

Post by Tone »

I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 CC (non HD) and have a pair of Orion 2NT 12's (4.75" mounting depth) subs in there = .8 cf for each sub. This required counter-sinking the mounting plate 3/4" so the subs x-max would allow movement without hitting the back of the seat, and angled the sub box down slightly so there was a 1" gap between the front-bottom of the sub box and the back of the seat so the air has somewhere to go. Stock seat bolts and positioning and have the amps on a 12" x 40" board mounted under the rear seat. If I was to do it again I'd buy a pair of the shallow mount Alpine SWR-T12s and angle the box even more...
2017 Silverado Factory HU/Zapco OE2/2 x PG ZX450/Zapco Studio 50/Bass Cube/Epicenter/Faital 3"/Type R 6x9"/PG Zero Point 5.25"/2 x Alpine SWR-T12
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

remove the carpet and you can guy yourself an extra inch.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

ttocs wrote:remove the carpet and you can guy yourself an extra inch.
You dog my recommendation for siliconing a speaker baffle as being too perminent, yet you recommend chopping a huge hole in his carpet to gain a little space? That makes a lot of sense.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

where did I say chop/cut? the factor carpet is super thick and has a insulating backing behind it. he is fighting for ever inch he can so REMOVING it and if he needed then putting something thinner around the edges to cover the metan if he needed will gain him valuable space.

Get over it dude............ :naughty:
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

U can't go behind the seat with subs in the 09 the back part attaches to the truck there's barely enough room for amps but u can get them in there's a rubber backing u have to cut out though. I built a box for three twelves under the seat with fosgate shallow subs
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

ttocs wrote:where did I say chop/cut? the factor carpet is super thick and has a insulating backing behind it. he is fighting for ever inch he can so REMOVING it and if he needed then putting something thinner around the edges to cover the metan if he needed will gain him valuable space.

Get over it dude............ :naughty:

Just saying......
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you quoted me, and mis-quoted me in the same post... big big difference between remove and chop in my book, just sayin.....

my recomendations not to glue the baffle to the car was just because the audible difference between the two would be about as good as swapping from a 14 to a 12 gauge wire and later on he might not want them in there. no reason to carry that chip on your shoulder into another post to crap it up, I am not that important....
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

Take a look here bro: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13752

This is a 2002, but I believe the rear seat area is exactly the same. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them :wink:
AKA "THE HATER"
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

Not the same I will get som pics up of what it looks like but the back part attaches to the cab on two bars to get it out u have to lift it up and off
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I thought the same as the pimp that there are some minor changes in the new models that leave VERY little room behind the seats for amps, let alone a sub.
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

Trust me u r not getting a sub behind that seat
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

never say never, you can always do a blow-through..
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

Haha that's true
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

pimpinest123 wrote:Not the same I will get som pics up of what it looks like but the back part attaches to the cab on two bars to get it out u have to lift it up and off

Cool, well just trying to help

I'ld definitely like to see some pics of a newer model 8)
AKA "THE HATER"
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

2010 chevy silverado
Attachments
seat.jpeg
image (2).jpeg
image.jpeg
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

Cool box, but I was hoping to see what it looks like "behind" the rear seats :? :wink:

Only because I'm apparently unaware of its layout, and I would like to know what it looks like for future reference.
AKA "THE HATER"
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Pimpinest, good looking box. From the rings visible on the seat bottoms, it looks like youve got a little contact going on there, perhaps you should find some grills to give a little space? I know its just fabric hanging, but getting that free airspace back by pushing the fabric out of the way may help a little. Just some food for thought.

Shawn K, after seeing Pimpinest's box I remember now about this truck setup, when you fold the rear seats up the seatback goes flat against the rear wall of the cab, nothing will fit back there. If you pulled the seats & put an amp or two back there the seats would no longer fold up all the way. Maybe with a very tiny amp, but its doubtful.

There are a few years of trucks where you can get away with adding a spacer & longer bolts to raise the entire seat setup higher, I cant remember which models & years, but it usually depended on how much the seatbacks slide and how long the sliders are. I remember seeing a 2" spacer on an F150 once & it worked great, but unsure about the Silverado.

ttocs wrote:you quoted me, and mis-quoted me in the same post... big big difference between remove and chop in my book, just sayin.....

my recomendations not to glue the baffle to the car was just because the audible difference between the two would be about as good as swapping from a 14 to a 12 gauge wire and later on he might not want them in there. no reason to carry that chip on your shoulder into another post to crap it up, I am not that important....
Considering the carpet is 1 piece, would require gutting the entire interior 100% just to get it out, and then a replacement would need to be made to cover the entire floor, plus provide similar/better sound absorption..... Ridiculous waste of time for a whopping 1" of space when there is plenty already available, and doesnt make much sense. Cutting made more sense, and even that is a bit extreme.
Regarding the baffle argument, its a simple step of using glue or not using glue, it is easily reversible, and thats to say if the person ever wanted to change speaker SIZE, you could swap in any similar sized speaker without any issues, especially if you use T-nuts like I do because I do just that. (swap gear a LOT) I have no chip on my shoulder, just find it comical the lengths you will go for some things & not others, thats all.
Ive also noticed how you like to argue with everyone, or maybe its just me you like to argue with.
Either way, if you wanna continue by all means PM me, otherwise lets quick jackin this thread and continue trying to help the OP. Agree?
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

I got two amps on the back wall a ads and a hifonics and a cap. The seat folds up fine and everything is stock