Strange noises in Outlaw amp?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Haakon

Strange noises in Outlaw amp?

Post by Haakon »

Hi, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what may be wrong with my outlaw amp?

It makes random popping/clicking noises on one channel of the M100 section. Sometimes very frequently, and then maybe nothing for minutes, then more again etc...

I have isolated the problem to the left channel on the M100 section by the following troubleshooting process:

1. RCA and speaker cables connected - noises through left midbass
2. RCA disconnected - still noises through left midbass
3. Speaker cables L/R swapped - noises through right midbass

So the issues are isolated to the actual internals of the left channel. Tried to adjust the gain pot up and down continously for a couple of minutes to see if it was a dirty potmeter that could cause these issues, but no difference noted..

Tried to record the noises the day after I installed the amp, they pick up in frequency around 1:00 into the clip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n8qBs9cdfc

Anyone had any similar issues in the past?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Strange noises in Outlaw amp?

Post by stipud »

Hmmm... check for any internal shorts, or shorts in your speaker wire. Have the capacitors been replaced? If all of that is good, it's probably an intermittent short in one of the output transistors.
Haakon

Re: Strange noises in Outlaw amp?

Post by Haakon »

I tried to change the speaker wires from left to right midbass speaker, and the popping changed sides, so I have ruled out shorts in the speaker wires. No popping when the other M100 channel is connected to the same speakers. Caps have been replaced not too long ago also.

I'll have someone a bit more competent than me look into the output transistors, thanks for the feedback :)