How do I fit these in my doors?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Im freakin stumped. I mean its a nice set and it all works but the crossovers are the size of us acoustics 2080s and I only have one speaker hole. Could these go in kicks ? Am I gonan have to make door pods?
joerg
SOFA-KING

Re: How do I fit these in my doors?

Post by joerg »

Congrats! U just left the plug´n play segment in car audio. :clap:
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
todd217

Post by todd217 »

Why don't you put them near the amp the run the wires to the woofers and tweeters. This away if something needs adjusted you don't have to tear the doors apart.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

joerg wrote:Congrats! U just left the plug´n play segment in car audio. :clap:

aerg. Im really not into cutting my shit up.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

todd217 wrote:Why don't you put them near the amp the run the wires to the woofers and tweeters. This away if something needs adjusted you don't have to tear the doors apart.
I dont have room to put em near my amps . I have VERY limited space. I can find room for the crossovers prolly,. The hard part is gonna be getting the speakers in the doors. I guess I need to find tweeter cups and grills too.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

what about up under the dash or under the front seats?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

modify is the word you are looking for. When I went three way I put the 6 in the door and made kick panels for the 4 and the one. Now I am upgrading to a 9" woofer in the door and a 5 in the kicks. As they said you are nolonger plug-n-play.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
joyride

Post by joyride »

I put mine under the front seat. It is only about an extra 5 feet worth of wire running tweet and woofer line from there. Its a whole hell of a lot easier than trying to fit them somewhere behind the door panel where the window will most likely hit it when rolled down.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you put your speakers under your seat? must have been awsome imaging..
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

I have resigned myself to the fact I'm going to have to make door pods.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

ttocs wrote:you put your speakers under your seat? must have been awsome imaging..
:shock:

You know he's talking about the crossovers right?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was hoping but was just not sure. Actually have seen it done on some older cars where they just wanted to hear talk radio but...
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

I put the XOvers next to the amps in trunk. 6.5LF's in the door cavities, 4MR's in the rear cavities and the tweets on the dash for now. All signals flat, let the Xovers do the work driven by a Ti 500.4 (Front channels for 4MRs and tweets, rear channel for 6.5LFs. Speaker runs are about 16 feet each. Results, once I corrected a crossed pair, is nothing short of outstanding. Add a bridged Ti600.2 driving qty 3 sealed BA 10.5 LF subs through an AC Epicentre and Bob's your uncle. Alpine HU and an AC Four1.i line driver/EQ. Good night Irene. Bass amp LPL and Epicentre control as well.

Eric advised me to use the XOvers. I was going to go active, but he said a pile on engineering went into those XOvers so I should at least try them. He was corectomundo. Fabulous sound.

I shall do pix once my "on the fly engineering" wiring is cleaned up enough to display. Ride is a '95 Thunderbird Super Coupe.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you would recomend breaking up a componant set with the woofer and tweeter up front and the mid in the rear? I can't imagine that the imaging would be worth much with the stereo signal split between the front and rear unless I am reading that wrong.
vwguy3

Post by vwguy3 »

joyride wrote:I put mine under the front seat. It is only about an extra 5 feet worth of wire running tweet and woofer line from there. Its a whole hell of a lot easier than trying to fit them somewhere behind the door panel where the window will most likely hit it when rolled down.
I was going to suggest putting them under the front seats too. Thats where I have put them in the past. Shouldn't you put the X-overs kind of close to the speakers themselves? I always thought you did. When I did a mix-mono set up once the stereo shop told me to put the resistors close to the speakers and not by the amp. Wouldn't that kind of be the same with the x-overs?

Thanks
Justind
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

doesn't matter where the cross-over is, also wouldn't matter where the resistor would have been put in the circuit.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

ttocs wrote:you would recomend breaking up a componant set with the woofer and tweeter up front and the mid in the rear? I can't imagine that the imaging would be worth much with the stereo signal split between the front and rear unless I am reading that wrong.
I agree with what you are saying here, and am also confused.

So there would be say 4kHz and up, plus 80Hz-1Khz or so in the front, and 1khz to 4kHz back in the rear of the vehicle? I can't image anything sounding worse than that.

A very bad, but somewhat acceptable use for a 3-way such as this would be to run the 4in mid and tweeter up front, and the 6in mid in the rear, with subs where ever they fit. But even that is going to destroy any imaging, although not as bad as having the 4in mid in the rear.

I would personally prefer to see a simple 2-way with 6in and tweeter up front, over a 3-way used either of these ways.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I read in the diyma on what frequencies the ear can determine height and distance. The smart sounding guy had 6s in the front and rear equidistant and said mid frequencies are distance, but not height locatable using the ear shape and location for his theory/facts. If you have spare time, I believe it was... ...I'll get a link....

This: http://diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38954
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Who said anything about splitting them up?

I was thinking 6.5 in the door and 4 and tweet in the kick.

It really doesnt matter. Theres really no great way to install them in my car. They will likely sit in a box for a few more years.

I pieced together a 2 way Ill probably use. Reference NT1 tweets, soundstream pc3 xovers and some unknown but extremely loud MB Quarts that just say QM 160 competition on em.
holmis

Post by holmis »

nutxo wrote:Who said anything about splitting them up?

I was thinking 6.5 in the door and 4 and tweet in the kick.

It really doesnt matter. Theres really no great way to install them in my car. They will likely sit in a box for a few more years.

I pieced together a 2 way Ill probably use. Reference NT1 tweets, soundstream pc3 xovers and some unknown but extremely loud MB Quarts that just say QM 160 competition on em.

I`ll buy the set from you if you want to sell.....
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

take some pic's of your door panel and kick area so we can see what your working with
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Thunderdome wrote:take some pic's of your door panel and kick area so we can see what your working with

Im just gonna do the 2 way. Im really funny about cuttign into cars. Even my old cutlass it took me like ,.... forever., to be talked into cutting for a set of 6.5s. ( it only had 4s stock )