can the RSD1200.1 take <2ohms?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

can the RSD1200.1 take <2ohms?

Post by ttocs »

anyone ever done it? I will have it mounted with the back and the top open and could easily add some fans to cool it on both sides, already removed the plexi inside. I don't often jam for long periods but do occasoinally crank it. It would be 1.33 ohms actually....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Stryker

Re: can the RSD1200.1 take <2ohms?

Post by Stryker »

They put out the most power at 2ohms. I think you'll be fine at 1.33, not much to gain tho.....
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

been thinkin that since I have a 3rd 10" rsdc why not use it? I think I can fit it in with enough space and have the power for it as long as the amp will hold it, was just hoping to hear from someone that has already done it.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

the RSD1200's are optimized for 2ohms, at 4 ohms they only put out around 800rms. I'm fairly sure you will be okay as I know the gains will be conservatively set and bass boost is a non issue.
I say go for it, On proper electrical support mine don't ever get all that hot at 2ohms in my trunk and even if they do get warm from time to time it's after a long drive with it crankin'. if it is a problem the amp will shut down, I doubt you'll cook it.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is kinda what I thought. My problem then is just building a box for 2 or 3 subs. I have the third and thought I would keep it in case I blow one, but I have never blown a sub. I would rather put it to use I think just for the added flair.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I might be imagining things, but IIRC at one point Erin might have suggested that configuration to another member. I believe it was said that in the hands of a responsible and knowledgeable end user that the amp shouldn't have any issues at that load. You might have Brian or one of the other Portland members try to pick his brain to verify.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

ttocs wrote:that is kinda what I thought. My problem then is just building a box for 2 or 3 subs. I have the third and thought I would keep it in case I blow one, but I have never blown a sub. I would rather put it to use I think just for the added flair.
i have a box for 3 10s that is built for the mustang. its about 2.1 cuft that you could have to try things out.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

what part of Ill? I am not too far from the southern portion. I am going to be putting them in the spare tire well but for playing purpose it might not be bad.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

im just north of champaign.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ah damn I am down on the very southern end.
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I've had the 1200.1 on 2 15" dual 4-ohm type R alpines in a vented box at about 1ohm load. It did cut out at very high volume on the hard hitting bass, like drums and stuff. On the low synthesized bass, never an issue. The amp barely got hot, but did cut out from time to time on Flowbot's Handle Bars track which was too loud to listen for any period of time anyway. I've never heard this amp run out of juice or distort on the vented 15s. This would be one of the stronger amps I've owned and I think it would easily handle the 10s without any issues....