ignorant people

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
nutxo

ignorant people

Post by nutxo »

I took my son to pick up some stuff for his car yesterday..( I was paying of course ) part of the deal was 2 jl audio 12w6 subs. My son had no interest in those, he has some audiobahn thing thats rated for 1200 rms or some crap. anyways. The subs were effin wasted.

After looking for a few minutes at the other stuff and testign VCs on other speakers and testign amps to make sure they at least power up before I got em I turned my attention back to the subs. The surrounds are wasted ( Ive seen refoam kits for these so that didnt concern me ). The cones filthy but absolutely no damage. The coils all test at 6ohms. I was looking at the sag, its pretty horrible.

I pushed the cone up with my fingers and the spiders were super springy. Like new sub springy. I turned the subs upside down and the cone didnt move. It wasnt stuck. The spider is just like new. Apparently the subs were stacked. One on top of the other and then stuff stacked on the top one.

Is it possible to fix these?
nutxo

Re: ignorant people

Post by nutxo »

It looks like it is,...

dual 6 can be wired to 1.5 right?
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

1.5 is correct.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Shinju wrote:1.5 is correct.

w6 are great sq subs, no?

what are they like 300 rms?
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

They were back in the day, but there is "better" stuff out today. They love sealed and or bandpass boxes. Sounds like you have to do alot of work on them. have you ever done a refoam job before? Its a pain in the ass!
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Shinju wrote:They were back in the day, but there is "better" stuff out today. They love sealed and or bandpass boxes. Sounds like you have to do alot of work on them. have you ever done a refoam job before? Its a pain in the ass!
Meh. I live for things to be a pain in the ass apparently. Id rather recone em and get em working . I mean hopefully Id find a use or someone who could use em and maybe break even. I cant see just tossing them.
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

Cool more power to you! I just gave away some Punch XLC and DVC subs that needed refoam jobs I just didnt want to deal with them!

Trying to get rid of my extra gear and keeping what I am using in my eclipse!
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

Shinju wrote:Cool more power to you! I just gave away some Punch XLC and DVC subs that needed refoam jobs I just didnt want to deal with them!

Trying to get rid of my extra gear and keeping what I am using in my eclipse!

heh. Good luck with that. Just about the time I get all my stuff gone something happens and I end up with more than I had before I decided to clean out.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Odds are if they are that fucked, there are more issues lurking under the surface. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, unless you got them for basically free.
XONE

Post by XONE »

stipud wrote:Odds are if they are that fucked, there are more issues lurking under the surface. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, unless you got them for basically free.
I agree with that, you just don't know what you are getting. Especially with the prices on new subs today there should be no reason to buy sketchy gear.

<<< BTW Tom what the hell is you avatar, Rooster-Saurus Rex?
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

If the problem was "only" the surrounds the I would say go ahead and fix them. But it sounds like the spider is gone as well. If the spider has lost its compliance (not resting flat) then I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle. You could possibly find soft parts (not from JL) that will work with that motor & basket, but IMO it wouldn't be worth going to that extent for these particualr drivers. Even if you did go this route, you would surely spend more $$ for the parts than what you would for a new pair of nice subs :?
AKA "THE HATER"
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

I'm thinking that if the OP is that into rebuilding subs that maybe he should buy a REAL sub motor and get the soft parts and make a badass custom unit. I see DD 3500 and 9500 motors, plus others nice units F/S all the time on other forums and fairly cheapish too. just a thought.
I wouldn't waste any time nor $$ with a JL sub...no matter which unit.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.