PG MS amp

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
chicago-regal

PG MS amp

Post by chicago-regal »

Just picked up my first MS amp today, got it off ebay, did a last second bid cause someone else kept bidding on it right after I was the highest bidder, felt kind of guilty for a split second, but I really wanted it. So I've read all the other posts on the MS line of amps and was really curious what the big deal is. So many members on here just love these. Well I drove over an hour just to pick this beast of an amp up, Im so used to the zx amps that I wasnt expecting such a big amp. Its a MS2125, and I was really happy on the condition of this amp, just a couple of scratches here and there but overall 8 out of 10. I opened it up and it looks brand new so shiny....Had a question, I know that changing the caps are a must, but I want to put power to it tomorrow just to see what this amp can do. Would it be too much of a risk if I do? I took some pics. What do u guys think of this style amp with the speaker terminals on the right side. I also bought a matching MS250.
Attachments
phpuu1O1IPM.jpg
phpuu1O1IPM.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
phpI8g2O6PM.jpg
phpI8g2O6PM.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
phpaRWBYYPM.jpg
phpaRWBYYPM.jpg (31.74 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
phpH34IoxPM.jpg
phpH34IoxPM.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
kg1961
Got wood?

Re: PG MS amp

Post by kg1961 »

very nice 1st gen you don't see many like that any more
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If you want to power that amp up prior to replacing the caps, there are a few things you MUST do.

You need to limit the current, either with a very small fuse 5-10A, or you can do what I do, wire a standard 12V headlamp in series with the power supply.

With no speakers, RCAs, or even the remote wire, you can first connect ground, then connect the B+ lead with the light bulb. The light should flash for a split second then go off. If it stays on dim, or you hear any sizzling sounds, your caps are beyond good, and your amp will catch on fire if you connect the B+ with no limiter.

If your amp seems fine, you can then go and hook it up normally, but I would still not run it for long. Virtually every one of these older amps is leaking, so it is simply a matter of time until yours fails if you don't replace the caps.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
denim

Post by denim »

Jealous, I have not seen one in person in a while.
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

woops