Decks?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
spragmatic

Decks?

Post by spragmatic »

Maybe this has already been discussed... But--> I was wanting some views on which decks everyone is using these days. I've always been a Kenwood fan just because of the spectrum analyzers. Recently retired an older KDC-X689 with lines feeding PG Amps of course. Loved the bouncing bars and d-mask! Need to upgrade though (bluetooth, iphone, etc.) Bought a new (to me) truck and it's got room for double din. That's where the fun begins! Should I go Double D or split it up with a Single D with equalizer of some sort? I'm really after sweet/quality sound. I would really like to splurge and get a Pioneer DEX-P99RS, but expensive. Just not sure. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Greg
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG Elite.65cs Component Sets
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
smgreen20

Re: Decks?

Post by smgreen20 »

We should first start with a budget in mind. Secondly, what features are you after?

Personally I've never been a Kenwood fan, never liked the looks or the feel of the quality. That's not to say they're bad, just not for me. The newer HUs from what I've been told by a friend installer that the UI sucks.

As for new HUs today, I love the Clarions. I currently use an Eclipse AVN 6620 double din, but the new Clarion NX501 will be its replacement when the time comes, maybe even at tax time if I have enough left over, then I'll sell my Eclipse.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Budget doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm happy with the purchase. :-) That being said I did look at the Clarion NX-501 and it's pretty impressive as far as features compared with price. Wow actually! It's way cheaper than others. Seems very fluid on videos I watched. Might have to pay attention to that one. I will have to look at other brands for sure. Thanks!!

I looked at your install page and really like what you did behind your rear seat. Very clean! Interesting because I own a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab with LBZ(diesel) and was wondering how to mount all pieces. Gives me great ideas it does!
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

spragmatic wrote:Budget doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm happy with the purchase. :-) That being said I did look at the Clarion NX-501 and it's pretty impressive as far as features compared with price. Wow actually! It's way cheaper than others. Seems very fluid on videos I watched. Might have to pay attention to that one. I will have to look at other brands for sure. Thanks!!

I looked at your install page and really like what you did behind your rear seat. Very clean! Interesting because I own a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab with LBZ(diesel) and was wondering how to mount all pieces. Gives me great ideas it does!

I've always been partial to Alpine decks since the newer Clarion stuff too me feels cheap. I'm currently running a CDA-117 and love the deck, very solid feel and build quality, not to mention the flexability of the built in x-over. Take a look at the specs on Alpines page if ur interested. Just my 2c. :mrgreen:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

kenwoods take some getting use to but any deck does. I ran them years ago and loved it, it was a great deck. The last 10 yrs I have been mainly using alpine and occasionally jvc. I have been hearing more and more good stuff about sony as well, don't write them off as the explode crap is gone.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

im using a clarion 775usb its great and cheap if you can find one
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
spragmatic

Post by spragmatic »

Thanks for the info fellas! Don't know if it helps though? :-) To many to choose from! Gots to make a decision quick as winter is coming and I want tunes before the cold comes. I'll let you know what I go with.
DEH-80PRS
(2) XS2300
(1) XS2500
(2) XS4300
(1) XS4600
(1) XS6600 - White
(2) XS Links
(2) BassCubes - Black
(2) ZBB12 - Black
(1) TDB34 - Black
(1) DD5 - Black
(2) PG SL10d2 Subs
(1) TI1500.1
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

dvnt88 wrote:
spragmatic wrote:Budget doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm happy with the purchase. :-) That being said I did look at the Clarion NX-501 and it's pretty impressive as far as features compared with price. Wow actually! It's way cheaper than others. Seems very fluid on videos I watched. Might have to pay attention to that one. I will have to look at other brands for sure. Thanks!!

I've always been partial to Alpine decks since the newer Clarion stuff too me feels cheap. I'm currently running a CDA-117 and love the deck, very solid feel and build quality, not to mention the flexability of the built in x-over. Take a look at the specs on Alpines page if ur interested. Just my 2c. :mrgreen:
The CDA-117 is a single din, I think he's after a dbl din if he can.

The Clarion single dins do have a bit of a cheap look to them, but my friend has the CZ500 and it's not built cheap. The dbl dins Clarion has have an even better build feel to them IMO, and are one of the best bangs for the buck in a dbl din if you ask me. Take note, I am a Clarion freak and collect Clarion products more then PG, but I do have a few PG items.

I would also look into Alpines. Never been a huge fan of theirs, but I wouldn't say no to running an Alpine.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998