4 Gauge knuconceptz power wire question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Lance_S

4 Gauge knuconceptz power wire question

Post by Lance_S »

Hey guys,

Quick question on the knuconcepts power wire. They don't play the wattage game but I did find a place where they list the potential amperage handling capability, which is just a well. They list the oxygen free 4 gauge at 150 amps. I am running a pair of 2125's @ 4 ohms and a 275 @ 4 ohms. The 2125's are rated at 40 amps each, but I doubt with the way I am driving them they will ever see it. And the manual rates the 275 @ 40 amps as well, though I can't imagine it will draw that much.

Either way, max draw would be 120 amps, which is the size of the breaker at the battery that I am going to run. My question is whether or not you think the 4 gauge is thick enough. I know knuconcepts has a much thicker core and about 2100 strands in their higher end 4 gauge so it's good stuff, but before I pull the trigger on their amp install kit with the high end 4 gauge power and ground wire, I wanted your advice.

BTW, I have one 2125 running stereo @ 4 ohms into a pair of 6.5" massive audio mids, one 2125 running mono 4 ohms into a single 12" alumipro sealed sub and the 275 running stereo @ 4 ohms into a pair of tweets. Running active off the deck. Because the system isn't coming close to pushing these amps (in fact, you might say I am wasting their potential with this setup), I thought the 4 gauge in a 12 foot run to the distribution block would be fine.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Lance
todd217

Re: 4 Gauge knuconceptz power wire question

Post by todd217 »

you may be ok but if you ever upgraded you would be buying wire again.
Lance_S

Post by Lance_S »

Man, I am running 3 amps now, I hope I don't upgrade for a while. I know what you mean though. If they were swapped out for 2250's or something along those lines. Honestly, I don't think I will be pushing these the way the setup is and it's as loud as I can handle so i doubt I will be doing anything in the near future but your point is well taken. I am sure the rule of thumb is that you can never have large enough cable.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

i have bought 0 gauge same series and also 4 gauge to run off a distro block. im most likey the worest on the fourm to trade sell or buy new gear. but i have to keep this car for along time(5years) up graded the alt,batt and the wire so what ever i play with i will be fine

i would upgrade or upgrade you alt/batt im sure they are getting older this will and become a problem
:)
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

Lance_S wrote:Hey guys,

Quick question on the knuconcepts power wire. They don't play the wattage game but I did find a place where they list the potential amperage handling capability, which is just a well. They list the oxygen free 4 gauge at 150 amps. I am running a pair of 2125's @ 4 ohms and a 275 @ 4 ohms. The 2125's are rated at 40 amps each, but I doubt with the way I am driving them they will ever see it. And the manual rates the 275 @ 40 amps as well, though I can't imagine it will draw that much.

Either way, max draw would be 120 amps, which is the size of the breaker at the battery that I am going to run. My question is whether or not you think the 4 gauge is thick enough. I know knuconcepts has a much thicker core and about 2100 strands in their higher end 4 gauge so it's good stuff, but before I pull the trigger on their amp install kit with the high end 4 gauge power and ground wire, I wanted your advice.

BTW, I have one 2125 running stereo @ 4 ohms into a pair of 6.5" massive audio mids, one 2125 running mono 4 ohms into a single 12" alumipro sealed sub and the 275 running stereo @ 4 ohms into a pair of tweets. Running active off the deck. Because the system isn't coming close to pushing these amps (in fact, you might say I am wasting their potential with this setup), I thought the 4 gauge in a 12 foot run to the distribution block would be fine.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Lance
i wouldnt hesitate to run up to 125 on their high end 4awg cable, especially only 12 ft.

heres a good calculator for it: http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm. scroll down to the "system power design assistant"
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

as they said you will be fine now but if/when you ever decide to upgrade you will be buying more/bigger wire and the price isn't going down. Just for the opportunity-cost of the price of copper going up I would just buy the thicker stuff now and not have to worry about it later. Sooner or later, we all seem to either upgrade or sell the vehicle but its very rare to go down in power....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Lance_S

Post by Lance_S »

I am with you on the power thing and not downsizing tho it is interesting that I have seen a shift in people actually dumping their multi amp systems for weight and size savings. I have put too much energy into this one to do any major changes for a while but never say never. On the flip side, If I went 1/0, which seems to be the next step, I wouldn't have to run the oxygen free. It's so big that even at a 20% loss in efficiency between the blended cable and the high end cable I would have quite a bit of headroom. I will have to check and see if they sell an install package with the 1/0 and how much it runs.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Lance
Lance_S

Post by Lance_S »

Brian,

Thanks for the calculator link.
joyride

Post by joyride »

Another thing to consider is that 1/0 will have a little more difficulty in the installation. If you are taking out the seats/carpet, then it shouldnt be an issue. But if you were planning on tucking it under the carpet near all the trim, you may have some issues. I ended up going with 1/0 and 4 from distros, but I had about an 18' run
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

The MS2125 manual states that they will pull 60 amps at full power and the MS275 about 45 amps. Since you're running one 2125 @ 4 ohms stereo and the 275 @ 4 ohms stereo, you should be fine with 4 gauge.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?