Need help identifying MS amp

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Spreadman

Need help identifying MS amp

Post by Spreadman »

Bought an "MS-250" on DIYMA and was just making sure it IS one.

I ask because it has an MPS-2220 base plate, so who knows what else is bogarted on this thing.
Attachments
250.jpg
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Need help identifying MS amp

Post by Eric D »

Can you take a better photo of the top left area?
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

might not have anything looking at the three transistors in that corner...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
longboard

Post by longboard »

can you get a better pic of the transistors and that cap on the lefttop side of the amp it looks like its been toasty but hard to tell on your pic
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
Thunderdome

Post by Thunderdome »

is there a hole in the cap, second from top on the left
-
-
-
Remember: The chart serves only as a starting point. Ultimately you must use your ears as a guide.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Thunderdome wrote:is there a hole in the cap, second from top on the left
look like it..
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

Here's more pics.

http://www.lockspur.com/files/MS250

(fixed the link)
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

ah well the transistors are ok but that cap is bad
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

Looks like an MS250. The MPS2220 has big blue rail caps and doesn't have the red/yellow switch.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
valeks1

Post by valeks1 »

MS250
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Woah thats a big hole in the cap. It looks like someone had a wire with 12v (or higher) and touched that cap (causing a short/spark) and making that big hole.

I would replace that cap ASAP. Dont even try to power it up, it might work but not as it should.

Someone please correct me if am wrong, but that cap is on the power supply, the two BIG caps on the center are the filter caps that provide the power to the output transistors (one big cap is for the left side and the other for the right) now I might be wrong, I dont have shematics but it makes sense

Those transistors on the power supply section had resistors ( LOOK LIKE RECTIFIERS TO ME), those resistors are covered in black epoxy (to hide the value???) but they seem to be blown off the transistors, for whatever reason. You need to pick up one of those loose resistors and see why they fell off in the first place. OR if someone added them as a repair.

But by looking at those pics it looks like its FACTORY work.

WHO the hell sold you that amp on DIYMA, I might be able to help as far as them making it right. They should not be allow to sell items like that especially not on DIYMA, unless they specified the problems. Goodluck, OP you can contact me and I might be able to help, I hate when people do shady stuff like that.
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

Thanks! I bought it from tyroneshoes, he indicated that the caps had not been replaced, but that it worked fine. But I'm not going to pursue it since I didn't pay that much for it. I'm going to use the sink to make bridge caps for my other MS's.

Thanks though. :)
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

I think I dealt with him before but I dont think I had problems with the transaction, but my memory is not that clear,lol. Heck its scary when you say that your going to chop it up, because that looks like an easy fix (if its broke in the first place, which it MIGHT NOT BE). But hey its your amp, chop it up just be very careful not to eff it up, lol. Good luck with your project - hell give me the pcb, lol.
Spreadman

Post by Spreadman »

trickyricky wrote:I think I dealt with him before but I dont think I had problems with the transaction, but my memory is not that clear,lol. Heck its scary when you say that your going to chop it up, because that looks like an easy fix (if its broke in the first place, which it MIGHT NOT BE). But hey its your amp, chop it up just be very careful not to eff it up, lol. Good luck with your project - hell give me the pcb, lol.
Tell ya what. I took it apart but haven't cut anything. Want to buy it?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Spreadman wrote:
trickyricky wrote:I think I dealt with him before but I dont think I had problems with the transaction, but my memory is not that clear,lol. Heck its scary when you say that your going to chop it up, because that looks like an easy fix (if its broke in the first place, which it MIGHT NOT BE). But hey its your amp, chop it up just be very careful not to eff it up, lol. Good luck with your project - hell give me the pcb, lol.
Tell ya what. I took it apart but haven't cut anything. Want to buy it?
Of course, as long as the price is right. I can always restore it. Takes time and money but its well worth it. Specially such a nice little amp.