how loud are the cyclones

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Murph

how loud are the cyclones

Post by Murph »

Hi I was wondering how loud a single cyclone in the correct enclosure would be compared to 2 12's. I am talking in the range of 15-30hz comparison. Also how would a cyclone do in a 4th order. I am new to the "phorums" and love os pg.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: how loud are the cyclones

Post by ttocs »

the cyclone is difficult to explain. I think they said it was equal to two 12s back in the day but idunno. For the freqs you have listed thy will pound the hell outta you, just need something to fill the upper range.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Murph

Post by Murph »

say I put it in a 3.5-3.75 cubic foot box tuned to 20-24hz. How loud would one of these get in there. If you had to take a guess at least for comparison the first song is playing at frequencies from 32-27hz.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was only lucky enough to do one install with one. The thought that sticks out in my head after all these years was the first time we really cranked it up, the other installers drill was on the rear package tray. As soon as the first note hit it launched that thing out and I was just luck to catch it....
Murph

Post by Murph »

ttocs wrote:I was only lucky enough to do one install with one. The thought that sticks out in my head after all these years was the first time we really cranked it up, the other installers drill was on the rear package tray. As soon as the first note hit it launched that thing out and I was just luck to catch it....
Wow a drill launched. I have been on the hunt to destroy the lows and these subs have been on my mind for at least 4-5 months. I know I can't fit two in the right enclosure so one would have to out beat what I have now. I am considering this because of how little power they need to pump out the bass. Hopefully the cyclone fanatics will chime in and let me know what is up. Also I am not worried about frequencies 50hz and up I only listen to songs that are 20-35hz and sometimes the occasional 40hz song here and there.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was impressed by the one we did, it was powered off of some small rockford amp that he already had that was only rated at 100 watts or something. I too can't help but consider one in place of the 3 10s I am running but I know one solid box for that thing would not fit through my trunk opening.
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

I had 3 of them in the back of my truck, and just about any dd product would kick the shit out of them- and you would never have to hear the clack of overdriving a cyclone baffle- the clones were nichey at best, the only installation I have heard them in, that was impressive to me, was steves' honda, which had 2 clones and a dd12, and that car was like getting hit in the head with a 2x4- most folks have a warm spot in the heart and memory for them, but as soon as woofers started getting big xmax, the field began to level- yeah the low frequency response, blah,blah,blah, is inviting, but how much material is there really in the 18-30hz area- and is it musical enough to want more of it than you currently have?
If the magnets didn't destroy themselves, if you didnt need to take them apart once a year, if parts were available, if the frame was made out of metal instead of plastic- lots of ifs- I got them because they were available and cheap, and hoped to get steve kind of results, but honestly the 'loud' results in steves honda are definitely from the dd12 and not the clones- any way, thats my input
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Agreed. They're a neat piece of history, but in terms of SQ and output, I'd take my RSDC/Elite 12D any day.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

davewaibel wrote:I had 3 of them in the back of my truck, and just about any dd product would kick the shit out of them- and you would never have to hear the clack of overdriving a cyclone baffle- the clones were nichey at best, the only installation I have heard them in, that was impressive to me, was steves' honda, which had 2 clones and a dd12, and that car was like getting hit in the head with a 2x4- most folks have a warm spot in the heart and memory for them, but as soon as woofers started getting big xmax, the field began to level- yeah the low frequency response, blah,blah,blah, is inviting, but how much material is there really in the 18-30hz area- and is it musical enough to want more of it than you currently have?
If the magnets didn't destroy themselves, if you didnt need to take them apart once a year, if parts were available, if the frame was made out of metal instead of plastic- lots of ifs- I got them because they were available and cheap, and hoped to get steve kind of results, but honestly the 'loud' results in steves honda are definitely from the dd12 and not the clones- any way, thats my input
thk you, nuff said..... :wink:
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
Haakon

Post by Haakon »

I had one installed in my NASCA (norwegian branch of IASCA) competition car back in '99. Box was the recommended 3 cubic foot sealed box, powered by the sub channel on a SS Davinci (200 underrated watts at 4ohm, Cyclone was 8 ohm, so maybe 150ish watts powering it?). In the competition format, there was a SPL part with points awarded up to 120db, using a music track to measure by. It began quietly, but as soon as the bass hit, the judge gave me a cut throat motion with his hand, to turn off the system. Turned out that when the bass hit, the meter jumped to 135db.

But this is far from a SPL sub, it also lacks any sort of punch, you need huge midbass drivers (or an added regular sub) to provide the punch in the system, preferably capable of being crossed over at 40-50hz. The sound is very different from all other subwoofers, hard to explain, but if it is output you are after, look another way. You can very easily overpower it, about 200w is all it takes to make the vanes hit the sides with an awful clack.

Did not have them both at the same time and in the same car, but I swear that a single DD 1508 8" sub in a ported box is way louder than a single Cyclone.

They're cool as a piece of history, and cool to look at in a perspex box when playing, and the SQ can be amazing in the right setup, but despite their marketing about being able to move as much air as 3 twelves, they are no match for a single 10 with today's subwoofers.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would still love to see someone pick up the idea and see if a rev or two to correct issues along with some more modern tech on the manf side could make a neat piece even better. Anyone that heard it could not debate that it had potential to be crazy....
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Post by Mackenzie »

Pg is not the brand if you are looking for such a sub, not the pg of new anyways...