Advice: New setup around a PG200.4

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
mr_renfield

Advice: New setup around a PG200.4

Post by mr_renfield »

Hi guys,

Currently I have in my 2001 Corolla:
- Hertz DCX 165 splits in front doors (powered off HU).
- Stock 10 y.o 6" speakers in the rear (powered off HU).
- Pioneer GM-7500M monoblock (400w @ 2ohm) powering a
- Pioneer 12" TS309D4 (400w @ 2ohm)

Recently purchased a PG Xenon 200.4, and I'd like to replace the Pioneer monoblock with this.
Ideally, I'd like to use the PG to power all speakers.
I intend to replace the rear speakers with either PG RSd6 or Pioneer TS-A1684R.

Is this possible?
Sub will run at 2ohm, as I understand the PG gives 400wrms bridged.
But I'm not sure about the other speakers.
How do you connect two pairs of speakers to 2 channels?
Parallel (2ohm) or series (8ohm)?
Is this even advisable?
Only reason I'd do this is because I think 200w going into the Hertz DCX would be overkill, so I'm thinking I have some power to spare?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Advice: New setup around a PG200.4

Post by ttocs »

run the hertz and the sub off of the amp and just keep the rears on deck power. being stock speakers and rear fill you do not want to send them too much power.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Lowcountrypsulion

Post by Lowcountrypsulion »

I did the same thing in my setup. I used the front RCA outs of the HU for the entire system, but kept the stock rear speakers hooked up to the HU's rear speaker level outs. That way I can use the HU's fader to fade out the rear speakers almost completely. Keeping the stocks hooked up directly to the HU also acts as a backup and enables me to have sound just in case something happens with the main system.
Ride: 1999 Honda Civic Si (Blue; complete, unmodified B16A2)
Source A: Alpine CDA 9884
Source B: Alpine CHA S604 (Circa 1997)
Line Driver: PG PLD-1
Equalizer: PG EQ215
Crossover A: PG AX406A w/LPL44
Crossover B: PG AX204A
Amplifier A: PG M44
Amplifier B: PG M25 Series II
Front Stage: MB Quart QSD 216 6 1/2" Q-Series Comps (the real German deal; not Maxxsonics)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Punch 12
Install: http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19590
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

These guys are giving you some good input here. I'm currently running my X200.4 the way they described. In fact, I never even bothered to upgrade the rear speakers in my Camry! I turn my deck's internal amp on for the rare occasion that I have a passenger in the back seat, but using the fader is nearly as good. Some people find this practice odd and feel like they're giving something up, but I highly recommend giving it a shot. If it turns out not to be your thing it would be easy enough to change up.

What I really wanted to add to the discussion though is a few thoughts about xe.load. That's one of the coolest things about the Xenon amps and very important to consider as you finish up your system design. You can read up on it more in the manual or with a bit of searching here, but essentially the manner in which your Xenon regulates its power affects your system in two ways.

Each channel will output rated power to any load between one and four ohms. Even if you decide to parallel front and rear speakers together, you won't have to worry about excessive power, it will remain at 200w/channel. If you did want to scale it back you could use a series circuit like you mentioned because eight ohms wouldn't fall in xe.load's working range. That said, there's no such thing as too much good, clean power! Give 'em all the power and your Hertz will love you for it!

Things change a bit when you bridge a multichannel Xenon amp though. Because you're using two channels in combination, the effective range is two to eight ohms. Your dual 4 ohm sub will receive the same amount of power regardless of how you hook up the coils. I know at face value that doesn't seem to benefit you at all, because you already get the same power at 2 ohms, right!? But the beauty of this system is that you'll get all of the same power, while reducing current draw if you run it at 8 ohms mono!

Good luck with your install, you're off to a great start!