problem with a ms-275

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Re: problem with a ms-275

Post by nico boom »

Here you go;
Input caps are the same in all MS amps. The factory size is 18x31.5mm:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 93-1804-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =P11210-ND

You can go up to 35mm height as well, to match the rail caps, but it is a tight fit. I've found this one from United Chemicon (another good capacitor brand), which is still 105*C rated, and has 8200uF vs the 5600uF in the smaller ones:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 65-1949-ND

I went with the Panasonics because they have a higher rated life on paper than the Nichicons (5000 vs 1000 hours at 105*C), and because they are well regarded for power supply purposes. Most of us use the Nichicons with good results as well, and they are very highly regarded by most audiophiles. Considering how many caps you have to replace, I would probably recommend the Nichicons, since they are half the price of the Panasonics, and should still last another 15 years.

Rail caps are different, depending on the amp. I think the MS275 has 35v rails just like the MPS2500, but the MS2125 is 50v? You'll have to check yours to be sure. They are all 35x35mm, so just fill it in the capacitor search here:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... Cat=131081

You can ctrl-click to select multiple fields, so I would search for:
Maximum Temperature: ctrl-click on all the 105*C + rated fields
Size / Dimension: pick the size you need
Voltage Rating: voltage of your cap
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

I would never do something like double the value of a cap. I would switch it back to stock value with all new caps and call it a day.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

trickyricky wrote:I would never do something like double the value of a cap. I would switch it back to stock value with all new caps and call it a day.
If you know what you're doing then you can easily upgrade many devices by doing so. I agree that keeping to stock values is the safest way to go when you're not familiar with the consequences. In this case, if you read all the info about recapping PG amps posted by people who know what they're doing, then you best go that route and enjoy a even better amp. :wink:
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

As you can see PG used Panasonic caps (which are good, but just like any other cap...will fail eventually with time and use). Nichicon and Elna are great manufacture for caps, just try to keep it over 105 celcius rating when ever possible. Keep everything the same capacitance value.....you can go a notch up on voltage but not on capacitance. On the filter caps (which are usually 50v) I like to swich them with 63v just incase the amplifier is driven hard and puts out that much voltage out the speaker terminals... which some do.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

trickyricky wrote:As you can see PG used Panasonic caps (which are good, but just like any other cap...will fail eventually with time and use). Nichicon and Elna are great manufacture for caps, just try to keep it over 105 celcius rating when ever possible. Keep everything the same capacitance value.....you can go a notch up on voltage but not on capacitance. On the filter caps (which are usually 50v) I like to swich them with 63v just incase the amplifier is driven hard and puts out that much voltage out the speaker terminals... which some do.
Explain to me please why you would go up in voltage but not in capacitance, that does not make any sense to me.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

nico boom you have a pm. I hope you understand my side of view.
unbreakabledancer777

Post by unbreakabledancer777 »

sorry man I don't speak nederland, just few english and french, but thank you for your advise
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

trickyricky wrote:As you can see PG used Panasonic caps (which are good, but just like any other cap...will fail eventually with time and use). Nichicon and Elna are great manufacture for caps, just try to keep it over 105 celcius rating when ever possible. Keep everything the same capacitance value.....you can go a notch up on voltage but not on capacitance. On the filter caps (which are usually 50v) I like to swich them with 63v just incase the amplifier is driven hard and puts out that much voltage out the speaker terminals... which some do.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a higher capacitance rating when it comes to power supply filtering capacitors. This is no different than installing a 1 farad cap before your amplifier. Keep the 105*C rating, keep the voltage rating, but get the highest capacitance you can. If you get a higher voltage rating, the capacitance value will actually be lower at the operating voltage.