Do tantrum amps have triple darlington output?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

Im thinking of using a tantrum 600.4 to run my work car. I like the look of the board layout, but I don't know how to tell if it is a triple darlington design?

I am a little hesitant to buy from the tantrum line because I hated the sq of the 1200.1 I bought when they first came out. I realize the 600.4 is class a/b ...but the bad taste remains :roll:

I would be running a 10in sub off the rear and the new ti6.5s on the front.

The other amp I was thinking is the rsd 500.4 It has a triple darlington design, but I don't like the look of the board. To many ribbon cable connections for my taste.

Or I could just say screw it and run 2 amps. My ti600.2 to the components with a TON of headroom and my ti400.2 to the 10in sub ...but then i have to find somewhere to mount them

...im starting to sound like Mike :lol:
dry with match
nutxo

Re: Do tantrum amps have triple darlington output?

Post by nutxo »

mosfet
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I thought the 4 channels were tripple darlington, the 500.2 is definitely MOSFET...
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

All Tantrum models are MOSFET.

T1200.1 also uses MOSFETs but uses the Tripath Chipset so its an entirely different animal itself.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
wash with gasoline

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sure they are good amps but Im on the hunt for a rsd500.4 now.
dry with match
nutxo

Post by nutxo »

wash with gasoline wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sure they are good amps but Im on the hunt for a rsd500.4 now.
I really need to hear one of these in an install. The specs seem a little anemic with the 86db snr. Thats why my last Memphis went down the road. It had a shit ton of power I could hear the thing though.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I have used the tantrum line up and think they are great. to me they still sound like a pg amp. on the 1200 i love how small it is and how much power it does with out need a ton of current to run it
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
wash with gasoline

nutxo wrote:
wash with gasoline wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sure they are good amps but Im on the hunt for a rsd500.4 now.
I really need to hear one of these in an install. The specs seem a little anemic with the 86db snr. Thats why my last Memphis went down the road. It had a shit ton of power I could hear the thing though.
...Yikes, I reread the specs again 86db snr is not bad. But it is nowhere near the 110 snr of the ti amps. Im on the hunt for some beat up ti amps, thanks for catching that :clap:
dry with match