A few quickie random MS2250 questions..

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Just picked up two shrouded MS2250's that need a little cosmetic refurbishment and wonderered whether anyone could share a little light on a few questions?

1) The shrouds (and dont ask me why as i'd love to ask the same question!) Have been hand spray painted silver OVER the existing finish which has started
to come away in most places leaving a disgusting patchy mess of whites and silvers... Sigh. :) My question is really, what was the original painting
process used on the shrouds? Powdercoating or something else?
2) Leading me to question two which would be ... how on earth can i strip the crappy spray paint job to recover the original finish underneath? I think theres
a chance that i can literally remove the top layer to recover the bottom, does anyone know a good product that shouldnt harm the original finish?
3) Although the fans all work on both, im thinking it would be wise to replace them as there pretty old in the tooth now, probably loud as hell, covered in
gunk and fluff and spray painted on the fin side! The spec on them is:

80mm - Panaflo DC Brushless - 5a24en-1a model FBA08A12H - DC12V 0.25A

Does anyone know a better/newer/quieter repalcement? I dont want to overload the fan board...

4) And finally, for now! Does anyone know where i might be able to source the little connector that goes on the end of the 3 fans to connect to the amp? I think its a little 2 prong connector? Anyone have a good source?

I've included a pic for your amusement of the horrendous job someone has performed on unsuspecting amp...

00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

With that paint job on the shrouds, you should get rid of those 2250s. I'll gladly remove them from your sight!

It almost seems like they didn't sand the original finish or used crappy paint. You could try mineral spirits or paint thinner, wiping away the silver.

If the shrouds are powder coated, the coating would be a bit more durable than a spray can job. For a little more money, Mhyde on here will make them perfect....
phoenix_rising

Re: A few quickie random MS2250 questions..

Post by phoenix_rising »

So was the original finish powder coated? Do you think its worth getting a mild paint thinner on them? Ive had work done my Mhyde before, did an excellent job! however im UK based so shipping both shrouds over the pond and back and covering costs would be pricey... I'd be game to give the thinner ago to see what sort of condition the original finish is in... Think its worth a go?
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well givin i am into metal restoration/s... i would submit that best idea would be to find a coater in your area that blast and re-coat. maybe even go with a custom color to match the car or something...but if stuck on having or retaining the OEM finish... yes they were powder coated, in a gloss white- of course i could do it...but like you pointed out the cost of shipping to/fro makes it somewhat prohibitive. and i understand. but for something to chew on... i would coat them for the likes of $75 each (thats being blasted, pre-treated, primed (IP etching primer) and coated. plus whatever shipping back to you is.

m
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

phoenix_rising wrote:So was the original finish powder coated? Do you think its worth getting a mild paint thinner on them? Ive had work done my Mhyde before, did an excellent job! however im UK based so shipping both shrouds over the pond and back and covering costs would be pricey... I'd be game to give the thinner ago to see what sort of condition the original finish is in... Think its worth a go?
I'd suggest having a go with some thinners. It's unlikely to be anything more than a rattle can job, so the thinners should remove it without harming the powder coat underneath. Of course the silver might be hiding even worse damage underneath, but you'll not know until you get it off.

If it all goes wrong I could paint them for you, but I don't do powder coating.
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

Looks like the powder coat was stripped before it got painted?
Square 1
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

@paintguy - I'll have a go with the thinners to be honest.. im pretty prepared to have to re-powdercoat/repaint these! I simply want to recreate the original finish so just need to work out how they were done originally...

freshkryp69 - Do you know that it was def powdercoat? What makes you think it was stripped? Any info would be awesome!

On a side note... Does anyone know of any REALLY quiet replacement fans for these i think i mentioned the spec above but also remember someone saying that the fan boards are very sensitive and can be easily blown... The fans are a little old and could do with replacing so any help with a brand/model would be awesome!
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

id have to say that i wholeheartedly believe that they were powder coated.
PG back in the day had their own in-house powder coating op's. so i would bet that any/all metal was coated (save the black sinks; which were anodized).

tell you guys what though... i9 have been ordering from http://www.prismaticpowders.com/ for a while now...and they have some really cool- funky looking and designer looking finishes. they have stuff (finishes/powder) that no other powder mfg has to offer that i have seen. stuff that looks like polished stones, to a real dead-on anodized look, etc etc... real good ppol too. i should be on their locator and they are cool about adding coaters on their site.!

but yes... i feel 101% confident that the shroud cover assemblies were coated...absolutely!
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

mhyde71 wrote:id have to say that i wholeheartedly believe that they were powder coated.
My ZX amps are definitely powder coated, not a shadow of doubt.

But that's probably where they got their reputation for rusting :lol: Powder tends to have a thinner film build on really sharp corners, which is why some PG amps are prone to rusting around the edges. Paint does the opposite and tends to build up on sharp edges, but careful application of both systems can avoid this issue.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Awesome, Does anyone know whether paint thinner is going to play havoc with the original powdercoat finish? And on a seperate note... Does anyone have any info or know anyone selling any cap replacements for these old MS2250's? i'd like to give them the refurb the deserve. :)
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

i am not sure how the powder will react to the thinner. I suspect while it will remove the paint ...but to what extent it will compromise the powder is unclear to me. will it remove it....? prolly not. it takes really strong acid/chemicals to remove properly cured powder. Heretofore i have used Dimethyl Chloride for stripping powder...it takes some serious chemicals to remove powder.... so while i suspect it will not remove the powder, but i am almost certain that it will not leave a minty fresh white powder coat on there to the extent that you are satisfied with it. know what i mean...iow while it will prolly remain on the metal (the powder), i suspect it will not be a beautiful white powder coated finish when youre all cleaned up and done removing the silver...i bet it would look foggy like or like not glossy anymore and maybe more of a matte finish on the white. just my take on it anyways.

do you not have a blaster and coater in your area? or are they too expensive...? i guess my question is what is preventing you from just having it re-finished, even locally...as we mentioned the shipping makes it prohibitive.

and as a reminder...what was it that i did for you in the past? just curious...and i hope you liked...?

mh
Last edited by mhyde71 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

I was fearing the very same Mhyde... In regards to previous work i think i was one of your first? You did me a Zeropoint black crinkle finished DD10 :)
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

I'd more or less agree too.

Thinners shouldn't remove the powder coat, but it may mar it slightly. You might find it polishes back up afterwards though. I don't know if there is any screen print on those items, but I'd expect thinners to take that off.

At the end the day you need to do something with it, so you might as well try thinners and see what you end up with. If it all goes pear shaped, at least you know there are people on here that can sort it out for you :)
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

phoenix_rising wrote:Awesome, Does anyone know whether paint thinner is going to play havoc with the original powdercoat finish? And on a seperate note... Does anyone have any info or know anyone selling any cap replacements for these old MS2250's? i'd like to give them the refurb the deserve. :)

Go to the Delta electronics fan website, they have all the fans youll need. Ive used them on every PG amp iove ever owned.I dont have the part # on me right now but Ill get it for you. I think paid 7 or 14 bucks each for there baddest high flow fans. I dare say they make the best fans in the world! I use the 15mm x 80mm thick fans in my shrouded 2250 so there's more room for there exhaust to flow. and the 15mm x 80mm thick ball bearing fans can flow the same if not WAY more then the 25mm thick fans, which are noisier. I use the 56cfm (?) 15mm thick fans, 3 of them on my shroud. my amp cant get hot even under full power! you know what I mean... I also have a delta 38mm x 80mm thick fan that can serve as a hairdryer..lol
Square 1
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

@Paintguy -- Agreed. I'll get on it.
@freshkryp69 -- Thanks for the info, if you get a chance to fire over the part number i'll order up was a little bit concerned about over powering the fan circuit using the wrong part.

Thanks guys - I'll give the thinner ago and see what i'm left with ... Does anyone have any leads on the DZUS fastners that hold the amp to the shroud i've got 4 but i need another 4... I know where to get them but just cant work out what size i need! As i'll be DAMNED if i can work out from the measurement sheet how to measure them! Anyone have a link to any they've bought previously for the same job?

I've dug out this site that stocks them here in the UK:

http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/ar ... =A020X29YL

But know idea how there measured!

is the "Length" measurement in the link referring to this part of the connector??

mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

i may in fact have just one which would fit as it is OEM.../... i will look tonight when home.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Thanks!
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

phoenix_rising wrote:@Paintguy -- Agreed. I'll get on it.
@freshkryp69 -- Thanks for the info, if you get a chance to fire over the part number i'll order up was a little bit concerned about over powering the fan circuit using the wrong part.

Thanks guys - I'll give the thinner ago and see what i'm left with ... Does anyone have any leads on the DZUS fastners that hold the amp to the shroud i've got 4 but i need another 4... I know where to get them but just cant work out what size i need! As i'll be DAMNED if i can work out from the measurement sheet how to measure them! Anyone have a link to any they've bought previously for the same job?

I've dug out this site that stocks them here in the UK:

http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/ar ... =A020X29YL

But know idea how there measured!

is the "Length" measurement in the link referring to this part of

If u find one that works please let me know I need one as well thanks
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

i found the plastic fan connector i think you were looking for...

AND i found one of those shroud screws (i think) it looks alil short to be the proper fit (to my recollection), but maybe it is a fit. i d k, but looks like what youre looking for enough

m
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

also ...not sure it is of interest to you or not...but i also think i found a couple oem zpa fans
not sure if of interest for you and what youre doing...but tossed it out there

m
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

i am not 100% sure if this screw is the exact same size...but for some reason i have it...and think.bet it fits...if not just send back or throw it away.

fans are from a zpa 0.5; 7-finned (if i counted properly), and i have two of them

and the two fans have the plastic connector you need anyways

pm me for more info if youre interested and we can discuss $ if you think these will work.

m
Attachments
DSC00198 (Large).JPG
DSC00197 (Large).JPG
DSC00199 (Large).JPG
DSC00201 (Large).JPG
DSC00208 (Large).JPG
DSC00209 (Large).JPG
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

whats up,

have no fear burning out the ZPA fan circuit as Im running the badass Delta (AFB0812VHB) @0.30 AMPS each fan. Ive done this to about 10 or so ZPA amps
and have never burned out the circuit. I live in FL and it gets hot so they tend to run at full speed. I also use a computuer fan controller at times to control several fans..Delta fans are the best, I only use the ones with real bearings. also, as the fan reaches operating speed the amp draw will be less than what it is at start up. The adda fans are crap, Ive got a pile of bad ones, and im not a huge fan of Panasonics fans, while they are good its just the deltas are better. Ive seen them used in super high doller electronic equipment so if its good enough for them...also, I bought mine from ebay for around $7 each for the 15mm x 80mm fans, from (Dan the Fan man) if his user is still active. just search (google) the part # I gave you. Use these and the ZPA's will run COOOOL!

$1
Square 1
pimpinest123

Post by pimpinest123 »

mhyde71 wrote:i am not 100% sure if this screw is the exact same size...but for some reason i have it...and think.bet it fits...if not just send back or throw it away.

fans are from a zpa 0.5; 7-finned (if i counted properly), and i have two of them

and the two fans have the plastic connector you need anyways

pm me for more info if youre interested and we can discuss $ if you think these will work.

m
I will take the shroud screw and the plastic clip for the fan wires if they r not spoken for
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

FYI....the connectors on the zpa fans can be reused, however many times. which is a good thing!
Square 1
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

Hey buddy, PM sent...