Need (specific) input regarding Cyclone for home use.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Flying Trunk Monkey

Post by Flying Trunk Monkey »

First post... I've done the research re the magnet decomposition and fixes as well as the limitations of the Cyclone. It seems the only good reason to bother with one of these things is for the novelty and that pretty sums up my motivation. I am currently stationed Kuwait 7,000 miles away from the sub. I'm trying to keep myself occupied by getting a design nailed down on paper.

1) I am under the assumption that the production versions are all 8 ohms nominal correct? The scanned lit form CA&E and CSR both seem to indicate 4 ohms. Was this a pre-production version they tested? I need to know so I can plan my amp options.

2) I'd like to cross this over to a pair of small subs at no higher than 55Hz. I have a pair of elemental Designs e3.6 6.5" drivers:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=33

My question is if these drivers will keep up w/ the output of the Cyclone to cover the range above 55Hz? The 3.6's have a 6dB down point of 55hz when put in a .707 Qc sealed box. The obvious thing to do would be to let the 3.6's roll off naturally and low pass the Cyclone 12dB/octave at 55Hz.

I'd like to power this with an older and yet unpurchased 100 x 2 (8 ohms) pro style amp (I can get it for about $100). The amp will do 150/channel into 4 ohms. If the Cyclone is in fact 8 ohms I can wire the e3.6's at 4 ohms and make up 2dB in sensitivity difference. Another possibility would be to buy a pair of e3.8's that are on clearance now and pick up and gain another 1.5dB, which admittedly isn't much and would probably add about another $100 after shipping to this project which already has a questionable value when cost/performane is figured. I realize I can adjust the levels between the two channels so I just need to get into a reasonable ballpark.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_inf ... cts_id=785

Any input is appreciated.
FTM
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I've read there are quite a few people using it for home use. I haven't tried it yet, but the ported enclosure suggested by the manual should give the best results if space wasn't an issue. I'll try to find a link, but I think it was an audio/visual forum and home theater...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tsq3w5
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Need (specific) input regarding Cyclone for home use.

Post by ttocs »

I was only able to install one and see/hear it in use and we matched it up to an image dynamics 10. The mix of the two was almost deadly honestly and I have secretly wished for one in my install since...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I have a new 10w3v2 2ohm waiting for my cyclone to be put to use, hehehe... I just need a plunge router, my router has me turning a screw to change depth...

There's an article that says the cyclone loves more airspace. I just may try to make an enclosure, I've got enough amps for it and supporting speakers....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

3-3.5 cubes...... its a small college beer fridge.
Flying Trunk Monkey

00goobs wrote:I'll try to find a link, but I think it was an audio/visual forum and home theater...
You ever find that link? I've Googled this thing pretty heavily but I haven'y found ANY details on a specific application.

Thanks,
FTM
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I guess it was from the older PG phorum. I did see a few before, but did not find them. They talked about infinite baffle through a wall.

http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3047
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

I am going to try 3.5 sealed for home and try it in my suv to hear the difference...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the box I built for the one cyclone I got to do was 3.5 cubes. The low end on it was something I have yet to reproduce.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

in the manual or something it said for home use 2.3 sealed and raised 3 inch off the floor(down firing)
this is 1.8 after displacement
this was the way i was going to try it in my home setup
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Haakon

Post by Haakon »

I had mine in a 80 liter sealed box when I used it for a home theater subwoofer. Tried most placements including downfiring raised off the floor, but what worked best was firing towards the rear wall, placed about 3-4" out from the wall.

Best home theater sub I have ever had, should never have sold it...
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

FYI;
Keep in mind these mechanical subs produce a small portion of noise when played at low levels.
I experienced that while using them as a home-sub and it was the reason to sell them both. Comes from the torsion-bar that gets deformed both ways by the rotation of the core, forcing it to return it in the centre as many times as the frequency it is producing. In a car-environment this will be no problem, since the road noise will mask this while driving.
Nico
Flying Trunk Monkey

Haakon wrote:I had mine in a 80 liter sealed box when I used it for a home theater subwoofer. Tried most placements including downfiring raised off the floor, but what worked best was firing towards the rear wall, placed about 3-4" out from the wall.

Best home theater sub I have ever had, should never have sold it...
Did you cross it over directly to your mains? Frequency? Powered with?
nico boom wrote:FYI;
Keep in mind these mechanical subs produce a small portion of noise when played at low levels.
I experienced that while using them as a home-sub and it was the reason to sell them both. Comes from the torsion-bar that gets deformed both ways by the rotation of the core, forcing it to return it in the centre as many times as the frequency it is producing. In a car-environment this will be no problem, since the road noise will mask this while driving.
Nico
I'll definitly keep that in mind when I build mine. I like to build stuff so I can just switch to a different sub for low lever stuff or turn it off. How low did you have yours crossed. Everything I have read say to cross as low as possible, almost making this thing unnecessary for a lot of types of music. I'll admit that implementing this thing properly is not cheap or easy. Worth it? Depends on what you like I guess but definitly not for most people.

Thanks peeps,
FTM
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

80 Hz. with a thirth or fourth order active crossover should do just fine. Go lower and you'll loose a lot of efficiency, go higher and you'll experience the noise I referred to in my previous post even worse.
When you'll take the time to construct a solid cabinet for this you'll be able to hear low frequency's like no other sub of that size can produce.
I tested mine with a sound generator once; now I know what resonance frequency everything separate item in the room has.....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

80 hz?! Never heard it that high before.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

ttocs wrote:80 hz?! Never heard it that high before.

it also doesn't have to work 1/2 as hard as in a car
when i had my jl 15w0 in a 2cub sealed 150watt rms 4ohm for my home set up the thing hardly had to move for it to shake the room
2020 honda accord sport
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

ttocs wrote:80 hz?! Never heard it that high before.
That's why you need to crossover with at least 18Db/oct or better yet with 24.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

I had a cyclone is a 6 cubic foot sealed box, downing firing, in my home theater room for a few years.

I had a modified PXM450 carver amp running it with around 400 watts. 24dB low pass filter at 60Hz.

Sounded excellent with a wide range of material. Although from 60Hz to 150Hz there can be a little drop off if your normal front speakers can not keep up.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

MW3 wrote:I had a cyclone is a 6 cubic foot sealed box, downing firing, in my home theater room for a few years.

I had a modified PXM450 carver amp running it with around 400 watts. 24dB low pass filter at 60Hz.

Sounded excellent with a wide range of material. Although from 60Hz to 150Hz there can be a little drop off if your normal front speakers can not keep up.

do you have any pics? or still have the carver amp?
2020 honda accord sport
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

No pics.

But if I build a new one I think it will be two Elite.12d's in a vented box tuned nice and low. ;)
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager