Something wrong with my SD500.4

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Jumpdriver

Post by Jumpdriver »

The amp has been running great since i bought it a few months ago. I have it running a 2 front comps and the rear channels bridged 4ohms to a sub.

The sub output is running just fine. Its the front 2 that are having issues. If I have the volume at say 20, I can ear the music ok but with a distorted/static sound. Once I get the volume up to 40 ( I usually have it at 50 for normal listening) it just pops pops a few times or there is no sound usually.

I know its not the speakers cause they play fine when I hook it up to the rear channels.

What could be wrong? I'm lost :?:
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Re: Something wrong with my SD500.4

Post by MW3 »

What is voltage on the 12v and ground terminal of the amplifier?

Sounds like something in the front channels has gone bad, but please check voltage first.

What make and model car?
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
Jumpdriver

Post by Jumpdriver »

Honda s2000. battery voltage should be good. got the battery this year. stinger sp35. will check ground and stuff soon. need to find multimeter first
Jumpdriver

Post by Jumpdriver »

Haven't had a chance to use the multimeter. But did find that if I have rca plug connected (Front left) and not the Front Right...the sound works.

So could it be some rca part of the amp went bad?

I have tried 3 different RCA cables. Front rear and sub rca outputs of the cd player as well. Didn't have my invoice anymore so the local dealer wont help. Guess I'll try PG tomorrow
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Morgan is PG
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Email me at [email protected]

I have one or two other things to try before we declare it a bad amp.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
00goobs

Post by 00goobs »

Never mind, I misread the first post....
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

have you tried a different music source just to count out anything before the amp? Use an mp3 player with a headphone to rca cable and with the key/deck on see if you can get the same problem.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Jumpdriver

Post by Jumpdriver »

I'll see if I can't install it in another car just to be sure.

-tried a spare amp from my brother and that seems to work fine.

Right now I'm using the rear channels as my front channels and it work ok. Going without sub for a while I guess.

-Going to chalk it up to experience. No receipt no go. AAMP customer service is prompt and very nice. Time move on I guess or find someone local to fix the amp.
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

I would be willing to bet, unless you set your amp up with an o-scope or multi-meter, that your rear channels were clipping inaudibly and caused an issue. I got lazy and hooked mine up by ear and destroyed my xenon 200.4 and I believe that was the problem. I have read here about it and cant recall the exact reasoning for the failure something about the power supply sending too much voltage through one side of the amp. Stipud ay be able to chime in on this. Hope it works out bro
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

waynehead wrote:I would be willing to bet, unless you set your amp up with an o-scope or multi-meter, that your rear channels were clipping inaudibly and caused an issue. I got lazy and hooked mine up by ear and destroyed my xenon 200.4 and I believe that was the problem. I have read here about it and cant recall the exact reasoning for the failure something about the power supply sending too much voltage through one side of the amp. Stipud ay be able to chime in on this. Hope it works out bro
IDK but I've never used anything but my ear... I always liked my amps halfway or slightly more with boost and all hell letting loose. You would have to be tone deaf to not hear distortion in your setup while adjusting gains. it's always possible but I have my doubts.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

gets popcorn to enjoy the show!
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Stryker wrote:
waynehead wrote:I would be willing to bet, unless you set your amp up with an o-scope or multi-meter, that your rear channels were clipping inaudibly and caused an issue. I got lazy and hooked mine up by ear and destroyed my xenon 200.4 and I believe that was the problem. I have read here about it and cant recall the exact reasoning for the failure something about the power supply sending too much voltage through one side of the amp. Stipud ay be able to chime in on this. Hope it works out bro
IDK but I've never used anything but my ear... I always liked my amps halfway or slightly more with boost and all hell letting loose. You would have to be tone deaf to not hear distortion in your setup while adjusting gains. it's always possible but I have my doubts.
One person's idea of what distortion sounds like is not the same as another.

When I did car audio installation at the local shop, 90% of people's systems were distorting horribly and they thought that was the way it was supposed to be. These are systems which the owner and the owner's friends thought were "great".

When you replace a customer's tweeters 10 times in just a few months, you know they don't have a clue what distortion sounds like.

Even today when I hear a stereo drive by me out in public, most of them are distorting. When you can hear subs hard bottoming from half way across a parking lot, you know the stereo is not setup correctly...

I am not going to argue what is the right way or the wrong way, but I assume most people would agree you need some measure of experience to be able to set a stereo by ear. Your average person with maybe one or two installations under their belt probably still does not have a clue.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

what you are saying is always apparent with amateur enthusiasts, however I was only giving my experience with my own gear. OP probably had some adjustment issues with level matching I suppose.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

i have to agree with corey i have had 35 cars and a ton of gear about 80 set ups and yes installed...lol also my wife has had a very nice set up for years and she is on her 5 car in 10 years
i have never had a problem and installed about 200 other set up for friends ect ect
never had a problem. i don't think this new amp is having problems because it was clipped ect i would think wiring, rca or faulty. but this is just my
2cents
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Jumpdriver

Post by Jumpdriver »

I had it installed by a shop...They may or may not set the gains correctly but its around 1/4 turned if that. The deck is an eclipse 5030 5v preouts.