Headunit needed today.....Kenwood or JVC?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Audiophiliac

Headunit needed today.....Kenwood or JVC?

Post by Audiophiliac »

I am trying to choose between the Kenwood KDC-X496 and the JVC KD-A735BT. Both have the features I want. Bluetooth, Android control, 3 preouts, 24bit DAC, etc. I am leaning towards the Kenwood because I have used them in the past and liked them. I have never owned a JVC headunit. Price is about the same although I might be able to score a deal on the Kenwood as my friend is the manager at a shop here. :)

Gotta drive 16+ hours in the next 2 days and no tunes in the car as of now. :( I threw the XT65s in the doors last night and just need to pick up a deck to use.

Any thoughts? Anyone with real world experience with JVC stuff? Is it any good?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertain ... s/KDC-X496

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?model ... 142&page=2
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Headunit needed today.....Kenwood or JVC?

Post by ttocs »

I have had good luck with the jvc in my truck now for 6-7 yrs...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

The KDC-X496 doesn't have bluetooth. The KDC-X696 does have bluetooth at a similar price point, but you give up the multi-color and multi-line text display. To keep that display and add bluetooth you'd be looking to upgrade to the KDC-X896, which also adds HD radio capability.

The JVC's offer a lot of features for the money, and have been pretty trouble free in my shop, but I still prefer the Excelon line up for a few bucks more for comprable features. Overall sound quality is better and will be a noticeable improvement to anyone with an upgraded audio system and even marginal critical listening skills.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

You are right. I picked up the 896. Will be installing it tonight and using it extensively over the next 2 days.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

Both are not my choice and I have had both ken's and jvc's. I dont like kenwood to harsh, and my daily driver has a jvc its ok but not as good as my pioneer.
Collection Growing..........
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

So far so good with the kenwood. Although the sticker on the bottom says "JVC Kenwood". Lol. I will be happy with it for now. More review to come.