Mixing sub sizes

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
LowandLoud

Mixing sub sizes

Post by LowandLoud »

I have been on the hunt for 4 Xmax 12s (to no avail). I have recently seen a pair of BNIB 10s in the classified section of this Phorum. It has got me rethinking my plan. Instead of 4 12s, what if i did 2 12s and 2 10s? I am thinking there would be a wider range of bass and might have a pretty robust low end. On the other hand, do you think there would be any negative effects of this like cancellation of certain tones at certain frequencies? I have never tried anything like this and am curious if anyone has any experience with this kind of setup? Thanks in advance. :king:
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
dwnrodeo

Re: Mixing sub sizes

Post by dwnrodeo »

Mixing sub sizes can be useful if done properly. I have 2-10" XS10d4 subs in my doors crossed over highpass around 50-60hz and 1-XCON12D1 in the rear of the vehicle playing the lower frequencies. I love the "tightness" of the 10's for bass drum and bass guitar and the XCON 12 provides some authority during those rare occasions where my music plays lower. I would personally run the 12's ported and tuned low and let the 10's handle most of the bass/midbass duties if you decide to go that route.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Blad09

Post by Blad09 »

A friend of mine did it way back with some rockford punch xlc's I think they were, 600rms amp power. Was in the back seat of a grand am lol. The 12's ported with sub and port facing forward, the 10's ported, sitting on top facing up and it was jaw dropping. I've never heard bass so smooth and hit so hard at the same time, every note from mid 20's to 80ish hz. It's still my favourite system to this day. I have read not to mix sizes, but that system always makes me think "why not?" I'd love to do 2 10's 2 12's Rsd's ported. Maybe someday.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I cannot think of any reason why it would be a bad idea. If you tune it right, it should be fine. I think having a few 8s playing down to about 30hz and an 18" low passed at 40 for the looooow stuff would be badass! :) especially if you can get the 8s in front.
shawn k

Post by shawn k »

dwnrodeo wrote: I have 2-10" XS10d4 subs in my doors .

Pics? I'd love to check this out! :mrgreen:
AKA "THE HATER"
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

think about the cyclone they tell you to mix sizes. the only thing is if they are not crossed over right you can have some canceling
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

shawn k wrote:
dwnrodeo wrote: I have 2-10" XS10d4 subs in my doors .

Pics? I'd love to check this out! :mrgreen:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15111
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Alright, so as long as it is tuned properly it should work just fine? Cool. I just found a pair of Xmax 12s in "perfect shape" (says the seller) on the local buy and sell. Listed at $150 so i dont think he knows what he has. I hope they are there next week because i just had my carb rebuilt and cant do it this week. I also know the guy with the DRZ has a pair of Xmax 10s but i know they are not going anywhere. Thanks guys for the quick help.
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

You could have great results if done right.
For example if you put the 10's in a semi small sealed box you would have very accurate & crisp bass with tons of 40~80hz bass.
Then put the 12's in a large ported box tuned down nice & low to really dig deep on everything under 40hz.

The biggest factor on how good it sounds is on where you set the crossovers & how much bandwidth the subs will be overlapping on.
You dont want too much overlap, but it will probably have to be tuned to taste by ear when installed in the vehicle.

I would also expect better results if you were to run 15"s or 18"s along with the 10's, because the difference between 10" & 12" really isnt that big.
A well tuned box could make 4 10's or 12's sound just as good as a staggered setup of 10's & 12's, where a much larger size difference would let the very large subs hit those super low notes with authority like no 10 or 12 ever could but you'd still have the 10's to keep things accurate in the not-so-low sub bass where the oversized subs would be tripping over themselves.

I doubt you'd have any trouble unloading those 12's to find something larger ;-)
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I hear what your saying. I do have the room for larger subs because i am using the whole extra cab portion for stereo. Sky is the limit as i am building the box along with everything else. The thing is i have not seen many 15" Xmax, if any, come up for sale. I think i might have only seen a few installs using the larger ones back when they were new. I know they are out there but IMO didnt seem as popular around my area. I did live in a city with a PG dealer too. :thumleft:

I realize there are lots of other brands or models to choose from but i am building the stereo to match the style/era of the truck it is in. That means fiberglass is out. Gonna be an MDF box and amp racks. So far i am planning a small, sealed box for the 10's (as you suggested) in the center. Flanked by a larger, ported box on each end for the bigger subs. Amps (Rte.66 and 2 M100s) hovering above the box(es). As fate would have it, the guy with the 12's only just got back to me after almost a month! If i find a pair of 15's in the meantime, you bet they will go in. Im just not holding my breath.

Im not even sure they made 18" Xmax. Anyone know? :hmm:
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

I see 15" Xmaxs land on ebay pretty often, some even new condition.

Your build sounds like it will be awesome, I guess if it were me I'd try to hold out for some 15's, but cant fault ya for going ahead with the great deal on the 12's.

Here ya go, quick google search & this CL post is only a week old
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/ele/3249989000.html
Shipping may be a little expensive, but its exactly what you want.

& I dont think PG ever made an 18"
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

The key is tuning as stated, but tuning in the form of crossover points. You do not want different sized subs playing the same frequencies, that's where your issues come from.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Gold-XM ... 3a7a84bffa

this would be nice to put in you're doors........
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Gold-XM ... 3a7a84bffa

Speaking as a person that once had to contemplate that idea for a customer, its a tad harder then you made it sound. Those magnets are HUGE for 8s and they are a deep/heavy speaker..... build an enclosure for it and mount that in your door and I bet in a year you need new hinges...

The Ti9 is much easier, again speaking from experience.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
holmis

Post by holmis »

I agree with ttocs... Thats not a speaker you wanna mount in your door. Almost any other 8" is better as this one is HEAVY...
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

ttocs wrote:
zeropoint0.5 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-Gold-XM ... 3a7a84bffa

Speaking as a person that once had to contemplate that idea for a customer, its a tad harder then you made it sound. Those magnets are HUGE for 8s and they are a deep/heavy speaker..... build an enclosure for it and mount that in your door and I bet in a year you need new hinges...

The Ti9 is much easier, again speaking from experience.
For sure the TI9 would be a better choise, but the author here was looking for oldskool xmax subs, that's why i wanted to made him

attention of this auction on ebay. the xmax8 sealed seems to need from 0.1 to 0.3 cuft, so you can build a little closed enclosure for this

back in the days i had a boston pro 8.4lf in my doors, so also a heavy speaker with a big magnet. probably not much smaller then the xmax8.

and two weeks ago i saw an audi with a shallow 13TW5 (13inch !!) in both his doors, so if you really want to go for it, why not.....

for sure there are better choices on the market today....i agree 100% with that......