Please help me plan my build with the PG equipment I own

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
todd131

Please help me plan my build with the PG equipment I own

Post by todd131 »

Hi! I have a zx 500 a m44 a zx250, pld1 line driver, eq232, bass cube, sub, hertz mlk2 components withe 2 way crossover passive. By using the search and reading this forum I answered many of my own questions so I won't waste your time. :D Thanks for posting and maintaining this resource

I want to run the system with the zx500 for sub the m44 bridged for midbass and the zx250 on the tweets.

I Plan on going HU > pld1 > eq232 SPLIT this signal to
1. M44 > sub out > bass cube > zx500 AND
Connect the bridged leads to hertz crossover powering midbass
2. Zx250 signal to hertz crossover powering tweets

Problem with this setup is the double crossover on m44 to hertz crossover. Will that be ok? How should I set m44?

My other question is ther noticeable signal degradation by splitting the signal out of eq232? If so, how can this be limited?

Tell me if im not thinking of this right I also own a eq215x if u feel that is a better choice. I will be selling it if I can't use it.

Thanks for any input!

Todd
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Please help me plan my build with the PG equipment I own

Post by Eric D »

Are you planning on a 4-way? Subs, midbass, midrange, and tweeters?

Do you mean you want the M44 on the midbass and the ZX250 for the components?

Either way, here are some pointers. The M44 crossover is pretty much useless. I does serve a purposes in some installations, but I would avoid using it for yours. The crossovers in the ZX250 and ZX500 are far superior.

If you run the EQ232 into the ZX250, you can then set its crossover for high pass (say 250Hz for example) and connect your components to it. Then run an RCA from the ZX250 to the ZX500 using the AUX output of the ZX250. Set the ZX500 to low pass (say 80Hz for example), and run its AUX output to the M44. The M44 will now receive midbass signals (80Hz to 250Hz), or what is left over from the other two filters upstream. To get stereo out of the M44 bridged, you will need to use the front section for a left or right midbass, and the rear section for the midbass left over.

Yes you can split the output of the EQ232 with no real loss in signal. It has a good line driver for its output.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
todd131

Post by todd131 »

Actually this may be better.....
HU > pld1> eq215x>
> low pass out > bass cube> zx500
> high pass out > zx250 > crossover for tweets
> auxiliary out > m44 bridged > crossover for mid bass.

Then I just bypass crossover in m44 altogether. Does this dog hunt?
todd131

Post by todd131 »

Eric D wrote:Are you planning on a 4-way? Subs, midbass, midrange, and tweeters?

Do you mean you want the M44 on the midbass and the ZX250 for the components?

Either way, here are some pointers. The M44 crossover is pretty much useless. I does serve a purposes in some installations, but I would avoid using it for yours. The crossovers in the ZX250 and ZX500 are far superior.

If you run the EQ232 into the ZX250, you can then set its crossover for high pass (say 250Hz for example) and connect your components to it. Then run an RCA from the ZX250 to the ZX500 using the AUX output of the ZX250. Set the ZX500 to low pass (say 80Hz for example), and run its AUX output to the M44. The M44 will now receive midbass signals (80Hz to 250Hz), or what is left over from the other two filters upstream. To get stereo out of the M44 bridged, you will need to use the front section for a left or right midbass, and the rear section for the midbass left over.

Yes you can split the output of the EQ232 with no real loss in signal. It has a good line driver for its output.

Great information thanks for replying! The hertz are 2 way up front. How might you change that configuration?

Additionally do you have any thoughts on using the
eq215x instead?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Use the EQ232, it is a better unit.

The BassCUBE can go before the EQ232.

Probably don't need the PLD1.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

just a suggestion to try out. i will not say it is better, but i would do this myself if i had to use this equipment.

In the case that u use just one passive two way set of 4 ohm in the front, and one or two subs, try this.

Well i hope you have a good headunit with 4V preouts of course.....

I would work like this. rca out to pld1 (under the dash) to the basscube, to the zx500 on the subs.

the zx series will play more dynamic with using the pld1 and giving them a higher input signal so you can set the

gain way less open for the same output. Because u use the basscube, the signal doesn't have to go through the eq232.

Go with a second rca to the eq232, and from the eq to the M44 with Y splitters, and use it as a two channel amp.

So for example front brigded on the left compo, rear brigded on the right compo. you can use here the internal highpass filter

of the crossover. 75hz will probably be fine.

In this situation you don't need the zx250. (or you can put it on a rear speakerset if you would want to use that also )

Listen to you're hertz set playing on the zx250 and playing brigded on the M44 and tell me if i'm right the M44 will sound way better......

In case of you're eq232, if i was you i would look for a tba with balanced cable to feed it. will give you a better sound then a rca.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180974271933?ss ... 1423.l2649

this is what you would need. please check out if you're eq has a balanced input channel......

anyway good luck man. please i hope you have changed the input caps in all you're amps or they will catch fire sooner or later !!!
todd131

Post by todd131 »

Thanks for the replies guys! Great suggestions. All my caps have been upgraded by altser so I should be good.

Zero point 0.5: I was planning on bi amping the mlk2s through the crossover using the m44 bridged to the midbass and the zx250 on the tweets. Can I just skip the hertz crossover and us the filters on the amps?

Please let me know how you would change the configuration with that information.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.
todd131

Post by todd131 »

Oh and I really like the idea of going balanced the hertz Audison setup in my other vehicleis balanced and it sounds fantastic. I will buy that unit you linked to. Is there any more of that cable around to go from amp to amp?
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

todd131 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! Great suggestions. All my caps have been upgraded by altser so I should be good.

Zero point 0.5: I was planning on bi amping the mlk2s through the crossover using the m44 bridged to the midbass and the zx250 on the tweets. Can I just skip the hertz crossover and us the filters on the amps?

Please let me know how you would change the configuration with that information.

Well if i missed the fact that the two way filter has an by amp option, then i would give it a shot.... but again, try everything out and listen on how

you get the best result.....but watch out also you don't overpower the composet..... another fact is the zx amps will perform the best with an input signal

of about 6v but the m series can't handle that..... good luck with it..... you're safe when the amps are recapped.....
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

todd131 wrote:Oh and I really like the idea of going balanced the hertz Audison setup in my other vehicleis balanced and it sounds fantastic. I will buy that unit you linked to. Is there any more of that cable around to go from amp to amp?
balanced cable is only from tba (pre amp) to eq. from the eq to the amps and from amp to amp you can only use rca's.....
todd131

Post by todd131 »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
todd131 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! Great suggestions. All my caps have been upgraded by altser so I should be good.

Well if i missed the fact that the two way filter has an by amp option, then i would give it a shot.... but again, try everything out and listen on how

you get the best result.....but watch out also you don't overpower the composet..... another fact is the zx amps will perform the best with an input signal

of about 6v but the m series can't handle that..... good luck with it..... you're safe when the amps are recapped.....
no i don't think you missed anything i'm sure its me. LOL

I was planning on bi amping the hertz crossover. My question about that was if I do not use crossover and simply filter the frequencies out with the PG amps in series?
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

todd131 wrote:
zeropoint0.5 wrote:

no i don't think you missed anything i'm sure its me. LOL

I was planning on bi amping the hertz crossover. My question about that was if I do not use crossover and simply filter the frequencies out with the PG amps in series?

that won't work with a zx250, you can only go up to 600hz highpass. only with the zx450 you can go multiply by 10 and go up to 6000hz highpass on the

front channel. you would need an external crossover to play active.....

i think you'll have enough with two amps. the zx500 for subs and zx250 or m44 for the front twoway set.... i would take the M44 brigded like i explained.

that's a matter of preference.....just try out the setups and make you're own conclusions what the best solution is.....

good luck :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
todd131

Post by todd131 »

Ok thank you!

Would the eq215x work to direct the frequencies instead of eq232 and drop the passive crossover using the three amps directly on the speakers? If this is a solution, can I use the line balancer on my eq215x?

I feel like we are almost there. Lol!
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

todd131 wrote:Ok thank you!

Would the eq215x work to direct the frequencies instead of eq232 and drop the passive crossover using the three amps directly on the speakers? If this is a solution, can I use the line balancer on my eq215x?

I feel like we are almost there. Lol!
As far as i remember, only the 230 had a balanced input. i would stay with it and not change to a 215ix.

if you really want to go active, this would be a better choise i quess....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOENIX-GOLD-MX ... 3a79dad4f7

but don't expect miracles using the hertz speakers active.....try out and chose the best result......

in this setup you can HU to pld1/tba to eq230 to MX3i to the three amps....

multiple setups are possible..... an ax406 can work also.....

I would not make it to difficult. using the less components is usually the best.....
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

i'm sorry of giving you maybe the wrong info, i checked the manuals online to be sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180974271933?ss ... 1423.l2649

this tba will only work with the eq230, not with the eq232.

for the eq232 you need the tbat with rj45 Jack.

check this out of course before you buy something you can't use. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

sorry for this :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: