Sealed Mid Bass??/

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Sealed Mid Bass??/

Post by HoseHead »

I am installing in an 08 Hemi Ram.
Front stage is Boston 6.53x through BA X-overs. (6.5 LF, 4.5 MR and 1" tweet).
A single BA 10.5LF with do sub duties.

I have an opportunity to seal the 6.5 LF's in the front doors.
Would sealing them have benefit, like a sub? All energy into cabin and none into door cavity.

Advise or experiences would be appreciated.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Sealed Mid Bass??/

Post by ttocs »

depends on the speaker but worth a try if you can do it, you can always take it off.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

Sealing is a very good idea if you can make the enclosure large enough. If its too small then you wont be happy. How much enclosure volume you need depends on the woofer. If I were to give a rough estimate the volume needed is 1/4 cu ft absolute minimum. 1/2 cu ft might be where the magic starts.

A stiff purpose built enclosure is a hundred times better than a flexing rattling tin box a.k.a. car door.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

I can seal the entire rear of the speaker (BA 6.5LF mid woof) with a stainless steel bowl.
So you're saying I need to calculate the volume of the enclosure to match the speaker specifications?
I'll research and throw up some pictures of my intentinos.

Thanks for your time out there.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Mr Wild is absolutely correct, it takes a very large enclosure to get great response. (.25 - 0.5 cuft is large when you are trying to hang/stuff it in a door)
The bowl will not work, it will sound bad for many reasons.

The smaller the enclosure the steeper the freq roll off & it will develop a nasty peak in the upper freq range. No different than a boomy hollow sounding sub in a box too small.
I think you are much better off with an infinite baffle setup, and focus more on solidifying that panel you are mounting the speaker too instead of trying to close off the back wave entirely.

I've had great results in Rams with just a 1/2" speaker baffle and a little sound deadener, just make that baffle as large as can mount to the door panel and deaden any potentially resonant areas of the door.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I installed my set of 6.5LF, and later the Z6s in the same very tiny enclosure. The enclosure was so small the back of the speaker pressed against the bottom of the enclosure (with some carpet in between), and was just slightly larger than the speaker was round. Since my Ford had factory 6x8 speakers, I made an enclosure for the Bostons which would slide into the factory 6x8 space without requiring any cutting.

The end result was very significant mechanical power handling, and I had no issues with 400W or so to each speaker. I am sure my method was lacking in midbass, but I just cut frequencies other than midbass (as opposed to boosting the midbass), and the result was a smooth frequency response.

Here is a photo of what I had...

Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Yes you should try to get as close to what ever the recomended airspace is but often in door enclosures you just make it as big as you can. If it sounds bad you can always punch a hole in the back but I like them in enclosure also because it keeps the speaker out of the elements and lasts longer.
holmis

Post by holmis »

As I have used all of the BA PRO sets from 6.0 up to the 6.5 sets , They all sound best in completely sealed boxes for the midbass, in my opinion. Handles more power too :) .

Just love the sound of the Boston PRO...
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I remember a friend making door speaker enclosures out of margerine tubs (yep) back in high school! It was more to keep the water off them than anything else though. We werent too concerned with SQ back then. Funny how that changes, eh?
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

tupper-ware and some sound damping works well as well. Comes in all kinds of sizes to get it to fit but you get some funny looks when you are at the store seeing which one your speaker fits into best.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

holmis wrote:

Just love the sound of the Boston PRO...

hell yeah !! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

i even got both my 12.4lf's at home.........