is this a stupid idea

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
todd217

is this a stupid idea

Post by todd217 »

i bought mikes zx950 that need to be redone and im thinking about having phoeinix gold cut out of the top then frosting plexi and blue backlight. kinda like this
Attachments
pglogo.JPG
davewaibel

Re: is this a stupid idea

Post by davewaibel »

if your keeping it forever, it isnt stupid, if you change directions like many do- then you have a fairly rare amplifier, that you have 'changed' forever- if it were a zx350, or even a zx500 wouldn't think twice about 'customizing' it
todd217

is this a stupid idea

Post by todd217 »

davewaibel wrote:if your keeping it forever, it isnt stupid, if you change directions like many do- then you have a fairly rare amplifier, that you have 'changed' forever- if it were a zx350, or even a zx500 wouldn't think twice about 'customizing' it
That is what is stopping me. I want a oem black zx look with the graphics but Matt can't print on black.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Being a rare amp makes the customization just a little more special, doesn't it?

I think because its potentially a "one amp system" capable setup, it's totally worth customizing because you won't have to rely on finding a similar amp to match it like you would with a custom 4ch or sub amp.

Where would the logo be placed? How would the plexi be attached?
It sounds like it could be pretty cool.
todd217

is this a stupid idea

Post by todd217 »

audiophyle_247 wrote:Being a rare amp makes the customization just a little more special, doesn't it?

I think because its potentially a "one amp system" capable setup, it's totally worth customizing because you won't have to rely on finding a similar amp to match it like you would with a custom 4ch or sub amp.

Where would the logo be placed? How would the plexi be attached?
It sounds like it could be pretty cool.
where the oem silkscreen was. I would just drill a hole on each side and use a single small screw. If I were to do it I would want it small like 6" total length.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

very nice item and idea.
i was going to do a canadain yellow with purple logo or crome like eric d said but i never picked one
enjoy her
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

pics of the 950 for visual /s would be good for me. curious as to how the metal looks and stuff.

m
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Any chance it's possible to braze a couple bolts onto the inside for the plexi without damaging the exterior finish?

I think if you could hide the fastening of the plexi it would look that much cleaner & cooler.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

think i could pull that off...after blasting, i could do some light fabrication as prescribed and then coat it...make it look real good.

BUT i really have to get holmis's stuff done first- i got that franked powder in, but just havent had chance yet to try it. I have 12 radiators that the customer needs to get done asap for heating puposes...so that has had me beihnd the 8-ball for a lil while now as these radiators are not small and take like a whole day to do just one....yuck! but decent money though...cant complain i guess- better than the alternative.

m
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
todd217

is this a stupid idea

Post by todd217 »

A couple of the other ideas I have is maybe a franked or Route 66 v2. I always loved the look of the rt66.
holmis

Post by holmis »

weld 2 small screws on the underside of the cover on each side of the logo cut out. then you can fasten it with small nuts & nothing shows on the top-side...
If I understand you, its gonna be repainted, so weldspots wont show...

You can use a zx450 & a zx500 cover to weld a custom zx950 cover to cut, that way you dont ruin the original 950 cover....
Old School PG Fan/Collector & Jeep fanatic...
Madman in a nuclear mode!!
2x FAS, 3xReactor, MS275, MS2125, M25, M44, 2xMPS2240, ZX450, 3xZX350, 2xZX250, 8xPG Original Jacket, Box full of BassQube`s Xmax8,10,12, 2 sets of BostonAcoustics 6.5.3 + + +

My Buyer & Seller Ratings : http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15269
My CV Recone service: www.cerwinvega.multi2net.com
00goobs

is this a stupid idea

Post by 00goobs »

With the original cover for measurement, I can have an aluminum one waterjet cut with whatever you like. Only issue would be the curves on the original vents and fan openings. I could do it for something I own, but would not chance it on anyone else's...

Hello from my IPad!