how many extra batteries?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
tattooemil

Post by tattooemil »

im planning an serious install....1*475ti and 3*600ti ..... how many batteries do you guys think i should run it on....currently im thinking 2*75 amps optima batteries..?? :?:
ms 2125
zx475ti x2
zx600ti x3
zx1000.2ti
eq232(yellow)
eq215
ax406
zpx2
pld1
12" xmax x3
boston 8,4lf x2
Stryker

Re: how many extra batteries?

Post by Stryker »

2 optimas or the like and a strong Alt and you should be good....
of course I'm assuming you have the necessary cabling as well.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

optima is not what it use to be. Check out stinger, or kinetik(what I have) and get as much as you can afford/with the space you can afford assuming you have an alt big enough to supply it all...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
tattooemil

Post by tattooemil »

the space is no problemo......got a big van :P and its a diesel....think it might be an 90 og 95 amps alternator.....i will ry to make a drawing later of what i had in mind
ms 2125
zx475ti x2
zx600ti x3
zx1000.2ti
eq232(yellow)
eq215
ax406
zpx2
pld1
12" xmax x3
boston 8,4lf x2
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well the alt will limit you that is not a high output alt.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I have been running 4 amps with two batteries and a 130 amp alt for the the last 2 years with no problems. No dimming lights, no signs of stress on the alt at all. But I did however spend a great deal of time upgrading all the main power leads. I think this is key. The stock cables are probably only 8ga.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am assuming your 3 Ti600s would be on sub duty, and the Ti475 would be for components. With that in mind, you will have an above average quantity of amplifiers, but I don't see them as being an overly demanding load. Depending on what you plan on doing with the setup, you could probably get by with just one battery and the stock alternator, assuming you upgrade the power leads significantly as Drock stated.

I know for me personally I would not be upgrading the alternator or adding any more batteries for that equipment in that vehicle. But, that is me and what I would do. Any diesel van will have an above average electrical system in the first place, and since I am not an SPL guy, my system would not put that much of a load on it.

I think one thing is for certain though, don't upgrade anything until you need too. If you put all that equipment in and then have some light dimming or other issues, at that point you can decide to improve on the electrical system. It makes no sense to upgrade something like an alternator if you really don't need to in the first place.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
tattooemil

Post by tattooemil »

yes the setup will be 475 for components.....one 600 for 2*8 midbass...and 2*600 for 12 deepbass.....and of course a EQ232 and a ax406

my stock alternator is 90 amps.....but anyway i would like to upgrade it to a 120 and at least 1 extra battery...(its a semi-camper van) and would be nice to have a little capasity to run a little light in the van and a little sound...and still be able to start the van aftervards.....
ms 2125
zx475ti x2
zx600ti x3
zx1000.2ti
eq232(yellow)
eq215
ax406
zpx2
pld1
12" xmax x3
boston 8,4lf x2
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure I agree with eric on this, especially if you plan on jammin it. The 600's alone could suck the alt pretty darn dry before you throw the 475 on top.

If you need a battery isolator let me know I have an extra.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I completely agree that a pair of Ti600s would suck a 90A alternator dry...

...while playing test tones.

With music, 90A should be plenty of power. But, it all depends on if you are an SPL guy, or not.

A 90A alternator would easily feed ANY system I were ever to build for myself. But, I am not into SPL at all.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Maybe I need to revise my position on this.

I was always under the impression my vehicle had a 60A alternator. When I ran an MS1000 for my system, I did not have any issues with light dimming at all.

I was just looking into what alternator my vehicle had, and it looks like many came with OEM 130A units. So, if my vehicle did indeed have a stock 130A alternator, maybe that is why I had no issues.

I still find it hard to believe my car had a 130A unit though, since I have a full size truck now which only has a 100A unit in it. Generally speaking cars have much smaller units than trucks do.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I can dig it.