S & S Electronics

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Starunit10

S & S Electronics

Post by Starunit10 »

Has anyone in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) dealt with s&s electronics before ? They are the only electronics store that I can find in Ontario that will repair 12 volt electronics. There are lots of home electronics repair shops but none of them will touch 12v.
Collection Growing..........
LowandLoud

Re: S & S Electronics

Post by LowandLoud »

I have also been looking for a 12v repair shop that is local. GTA is fairly close to me and while I have not had any experience with S&S, I would also like to hear if anyone has dealt with them.
I have a referral to a guy here in Cambridge who has a small electronic repair shop with, I'm told, over 20 years experience. I have yet to speak to him though.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

lowandloud I am in waterloo, you wouldn't happen to be talking about Ted at lazer would you ? He used to have a shop in baden and delt/fixed phoenix gold. but now only has a cb shop and when i ask about repairs he cringes and says NO ! lol. Great guy to deal with if you need your cb fixed.
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Unless it's a very rare piece, it's not worth repairing these days.
A quality bench tech is worth about $75/hr.
It would cost an hour just to figure out the failure - if he can get his hands on the schematics. Add another 1 or 2 hrs if he can't get them.
Another hour to source repair parts.
And 2 more hours to do the repair.
That's $300 just in labour.
Is the piece worth that much in the first place? Cut bait and run.

Your buddy said "NO" because there is no value in repairing today's consumer grade electronics - for the tech or the customer.

HH
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

Thank's for the opinion HoseHead, But the question was not "is there any value in repairing old electronics"? If we went by that theory, all old pg amps are only fit for the trash. Instead we still pay absurd prices for old amps. As well we pay dearly to maintain them. I don't think joerg based his car build on parts he could get from the corner parts store for his American car, He likely knew the cost and availabilty of parts where he is, and still did it for the enjoyment !
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I am currently away from home at a seminar for work so i cant get that contact info right now. I dont think i even got a shop name, just a phone number to call and a "hes real good" referral. I kind of hope it isnt so i dont get shot down instantly, lol.

I am only really needing the caps changed out on my many M series amps, so not that intense. I just figured that, instead of buying all the necessary tools and supplies, then learning how to solder, it might be more cost efficient to go to a professional who solders all day.

Awesome to learn there are other people in my area who are on the phorum and are PG phanatics

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

I just got my amps back from S & S electronics. $290. total, taxes in to replace all caps in my Bandit, and replace all the caps + fix output problem on m50 side of my outlaw .

3 amps recaped + output fixed on one= $290.00

$79.10 to recap Bandit
$214.70 to replace caps and repair output in Outlaw ($150 Labour, was damaged from previous repair work)

S&S Electronics
1350 Ellesmere RD. Unit 6
Scarborough, ON
Canada.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Good to know. Thanks man :thumbs:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories