Strapping 2 TI800.1

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
RobertJr79

Strapping 2 TI800.1

Post by RobertJr79 »

I'm going to be strapping 2 TI800.1 and I have a few question,

1st question is its says to wiring the amplifiers to each other:
Besure to connect the negative (-) terminal of both amplifiers together using
a 12 guage speaker wire. If you don’t do this the amplifiers will be damaged.

Could I use 12 gauge for that but a bigger gauge from the amps to the box?

2nd question is about setting the gain,

Set up the amplifiers according to the diagram on the right. Initially,
be sure both amplifier’s “Phase Select Button” is set to 0 or “OUT”. This will
essentially cancel the outputs from both amplifiers. Now slowly adjust the
sensitivty levels until you get “no sound” from the subwoofer. After this
is accomplished press the “Phase Select Button” to 180 degrees or “IN”
on the SLAVE AMPLIFIER ONLY. The output will drastically increase
because the amplifiers’ outputs are now properly matched.

Do I adjust the gains on both amps or just the master amp?
Stryker

Re: Strapping 2 TI800.1

Post by Stryker »

I wasn't aware that you could strap Ti amps.....
Not saying you can't, but I don't think you can.
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

Stryker wrote:I wasn't aware that you could strap Ti amps.....
Not saying you can't, but I don't think you can.
The ti800.1 were the only amps you can strap back then.
Attachments
ti 800 tech tips.pdf
(385.35 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yeah... DON'T try the Ti1200.1. It's really a bridged 2ch amp inside! 800.1 is true mono, so it's no problem.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I always thought you set them up with o-scopes rather then by ear. That was one of those times were I thought you really HAD to scope them to keep them happy.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

^^ A multimeter should be enough to ensure they are set to the same voltage

BTW do you NEED to run these strapped? Because if you don't, then DON'T. 2 ohm stereo load will work better than 4 ohm mono anyways, and you save a ton of headache.
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

I'm running 4 single 4 ohms subs to a final load of 4 ohms right now in a single chamber box, its just easer the tune the having 2 subs per amp and tuning 2 amp to match perfect.
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

ttocs wrote:I always thought you set them up with o-scopes rather then by ear. That was one of those times were I thought you really HAD to scope them to keep them happy.
From what I was able to find online all you have to do to match the gains on the 800.1 is:

Set up the amplifiers according to the diagram on the right. Initially,
be sure both amplifier’s “Phase Select Button” is set to 0 or “OUT”. This will
essentially cancel the outputs from both amplifiers. Now slowly adjust the
sensitivty levels until you get “no sound” from the subwoofer. After this
is accomplished press the “Phase Select Button” to 180 degrees or “IN”
on the SLAVE AMPLIFIER ONLY. The output will drastically increase
because the amplifiers’ outputs are now properly matched.

I just don't get if you cancel the output by having the master and slave phase set at 0 or out, then you adjust the gains till there is no sound from the subs. After the you need to set the phase on the slave amp back to 180 or in then there properly match. But if you cancel the output how is there sound?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you basically use one amp to absorb(for lack of a better term) the sound the one puts out to ensure they are matched. If I am not mistaken what you are basically doing is taking two mono amps and making them into a stronger push-pull amp when its done and all the connections are set correctly. Imagine if you hooked that one amp to one coil of a DVC sub, it would start to play but not as loud right? What happens if you hook that 2nd amp to the 2nd coil perfectly matched, but 180 degrees out of phase? For every inch the first amp tried to pull the coil 1 forward, amp 2 would be sending exactly the same amount of power but to push it backwards the exact same amount = 0 or little sound. Now flip the switch on amp 2 and you will see that sub move like a mofo.....

O-scopes can be had now for $70 shipped on ebay for a small hand held(look up the nano) and honestly for this application I would buy it and use it to be sure. Some nice amps if they are not set right you might let the magic smoke out of the amps and no electronics works after you let the magic smoke out. Hard to put that crap back in too...
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

ttocs wrote:you basically use one amp to absorb(for lack of a better term) the sound the one puts out to ensure they are matched. If I am not mistaken what you are basically doing is taking two mono amps and making them into a stronger push-pull amp when its done and all the connections are set correctly. Imagine if you hooked that one amp to one coil of a DVC sub, it would start to play but not as loud right? What happens if you hook that 2nd amp to the 2nd coil perfectly matched, but 180 degrees out of phase? For every inch the first amp tried to pull the coil 1 forward, amp 2 would be sending exactly the same amount of power but to push it backwards the exact same amount = 0 or little sound. Now flip the switch on amp 2 and you will see that sub move like a mofo.....

O-scopes can be had now for $70 shipped on ebay for a small hand held(look up the nano) and honestly for this application I would buy it and use it to be sure. Some nice amps if they are not set right you might let the magic smoke out of the amps and no electronics works after you let the magic smoke out. Hard to put that crap back in too...
See the part I didn't understand was the sound, I tried for hours to get no sound but there was always sound coming out. I did notice the sound wound go down alot when trying to match the gains. I adjust the gain on the slave amp till the sound was real real low, then I put the phase back to 180 or in on the slave and the output increase alot. The gain on the slave amp is set higher then the master to get very little sound from the output, is that normal? OR should they be around the same setting?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

either sounds like while you have two of the same amps they are not matched all that well, or that you are sending a different signal to one of the inputs. Are you using Y-splitters to split the signal? I was sure somewhere along the way that I heard that to strap amps that you need to get two that are as closely matched as possible. The people I have known that did it ordered two amps at the same time with the instructions they were to be strapped to get the manf to try and get to with the output thats close to each other. I assume you just picked these up as you could find them and didn't have them stashed away for all this time?
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

ttocs wrote:either sounds like while you have two of the same amps they are not matched all that well, or that you are sending a different signal to one of the inputs. Are you using Y-splitters to split the signal? I was sure somewhere along the way that I heard that to strap amps that you need to get two that are as closely matched as possible. The people I have known that did it ordered two amps at the same time with the instructions they were to be strapped to get the manf to try and get to with the output thats close to each other. I assume you just picked these up as you could find them and didn't have them stashed away for all this time?
Not using a y-splitter my deck has a left and right rca output, I'm using a Alpine CDA-9827. Rca leaving the Alpine going to the master in then off output of the master to the input on the slave. Master is set to LP/LP and slave is set to BY/BY as the tech tip says to do. Yes I picked one off Drock then found a second one at a good price and couldn't pass it up.

Maybe I should just run 2 subs per amp then, and not strapping the amps. What voltage would I need to set the gains with a ddm?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

RobertJr79 wrote:I'm running 4 single 4 ohms subs to a final load of 4 ohms right now in a single chamber box, its just easer the tune the having 2 subs per amp and tuning 2 amp to match perfect.
Dude, DON'T strap that setup! Run them in parallel, 2 ohms and two subs per amp. To get a 4 ohm load you'd have to run your subs in series... that's never a good idea! Voice coils can be run in series just fine, but between subs the impedance curve of the first speaker will alter the signal seen by the second one. You definitely want to keep subs run in parallel. Not to mention it saves you from needing to strap these amps, which is far from ideal anyways, since it is FAR MORE DIFFICULT to tune and set up, and only for very specific purposes.
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

stipud wrote:
RobertJr79 wrote:I'm running 4 single 4 ohms subs to a final load of 4 ohms right now in a single chamber box, its just easer the tune the having 2 subs per amp and tuning 2 amp to match perfect.
Dude, DON'T strap that setup! Run them in parallel, 2 ohms and two subs per amp. To get a 4 ohm load you'd have to run your subs in series... that's never a good idea! Voice coils can be run in series just fine, but between subs the impedance curve of the first speaker will alter the signal seen by the second one. You definitely want to keep subs run in parallel. Not to mention it saves you from needing to strap these amps, which is far from ideal anyways, since it is FAR MORE DIFFICULT to tune and set up, and only for very specific purposes.
Ok thanks for that input I'll run 2 subs at 2 ohm per amp. I just figure if I would strap the amps and have a load of 4 ohms would be easer to set the gains, as I'm using a single chamber for all 4 subs.

EDIT: this is how I have all 4 subs wired right now.
Attachments
4SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
4SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yea if you didn't pick both of the amps up at the same time with that intention I think you are making it much harder then it needs to be and risking the amps as well.
RobertJr79

Post by RobertJr79 »

ttocs wrote:yea if you didn't pick both of the amps up at the same time with that intention I think you are making it much harder then it needs to be and risking the amps as well.
So I should just go with 2 subs per amp?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I don't think you will miss anything..... Except maybe your hearing in later life but hell you can always grow another ear right?!