Ti600 issues

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
knightrider358

Ti600 issues

Post by knightrider358 »

Hey guys,

Any help with this would greatly appreciated. I am posting this problem hoping I don't have to tear apart my rear interior to see if the problem is the amp.

Ive had this system installed for about 9 months now. I have the following 0ga main power wire to a fused distro block powering two amps. A blk ZX450 for mids & highs and a Ti600 for a single dual 2ohm alpine type r 12" wired in series for a 4 ohm load bridge off the amp. The head unit is an alpine CDA-9855, then the signal goes to a TLD 66, then mids and highs go to the ZX450 and sub go to the Ti600. The speaker outputs are not used on the HU only the Front, Rear, and Sub outputs are used. The TLD66 is located upfront in the center console. The alternator is the stock 120amp.

Here's the problem, I installed this set months ago. Never had any problems. This is basically the same setup I had in my previous car, about 4 years never any problems then. So about a couple weeks ago everything was working ok. I parked my car overnight when I got home, everything worked fine when I did. I get up and head up the road, drive about 15 min when the sub started turning off and on intermittently. So I checked my status lights for the amp and the protection light kept coming on and off. I turned off the whole system. Rechecked it a couple days later and same problem. I did notice that it happens more so when I turn the volume higher. So I thought that the voice coils were failing in the sub and cause a short since Ive had it for a few years. So I ordered a new sub same model just a newer version. I hooked it up and........still same problem. ARGHHH!!!!!!

So here I am, Im hoping someone on here can help me diagnose the problem so I don't have to tear out all the rear interior panels to take out my amp unless its the problem. Im hoping its the TLD66, HU, or the RCA's maybe. Just not the amp.

So does anyone have any suggestions with this issue.
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Ti600 issues

Post by Eric D »

Shot in the dark...

Are speaker wires to the subs running near any sheetmetal which could have cut into them, shorting them to ground?
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Or could something have shifted and pulled speaker wires partially out of amp and they're shorting there intermittently? If it was me, I'd yank the sub amps power fuse until you figure it out. No point in thrashing it on a dead short....
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Check your grounds too... basically, check every damn wire! Don't forget your fuse connections, battery connections, etc.
knightrider358

Ti600 issues

Post by knightrider358 »

Looks ill be tearing all the panels out and rechecking everything. Ugh!!!!! I appreciate the input guys, ill b looking into everything starting when I get off work today. Ill keep y'all up to date.

Y'all are awesome as always.

Anymore advise is greatly appreciated!

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

next time it happens disconnect the subs as close to the box as you can, and see if the lights change. If they do check your wires, if it doesn't try diconnecting the rca's and see what happens. before you take anything out try to isolate where the problem is.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

One other thing to try is to disconnect the subs in the box, and tape up the wires. Then play the stereo as you have before and see if the amp goes into protect. If it does, you have a wiring issue for sure.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
knightrider358

Ti600 issues

Post by knightrider358 »

Thanks for all the tips & tricks guys I really appreciate it!

So I took out the rear panel and the sub played fine?!?!? So I put it back together and it started going into protection again. So I took apart and disconnected the box and it stayed in protection. I was really worried then. So I checked all the connections and bam it was the damn remote wire, it came loose and I restripped the wire and tightened it back up. She plays just like a champ!!!!

So thanks again guys I really appreciate it!!!!

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

sounds like the panel was maybe bumping it when you moved it? if this was the case a rather funny technique that I learned in tech school probably could have found it. My instructor called it technical taps. To anyone watching they would have though you were just tapping/knockin on the stuff but its amazing how much stuff you can diagnose this way. Simply start with your fingertips, and lightly start tapping and increasing the force of the tap until you need to move up to your knuckle. At that point go to your 2nd knuckle and keep increasing the force. Move around to different locations while doing all this and if still nothing then make a closed fist and keep increasing the force till your knuckles are bleeding. If there is still nothing then go get your hammer - ok I think you know I was kidding towards the end there should be no blood.... But with this series of taps often loose connections can be very quickly isolated and found, and working as a technition you can billf or this although technical tap procedure sounds alot better then if they watch you smack their gear around.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.