So How Good Are the Xenon

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Mister Pig

So How Good Are the Xenon

Post by Mister Pig »

The first PG amplifiers I ever bought were a Xenon 1200.1 and a 100.4. Run 3 Focal 11 on the sub amp, and Focal seperates and Diamond Audio coax for fill in a 94 Mustang GT. I did not stay current with car audio after having that system done, and the last couple of years the car has not gotten driven at all.

I was big into car audio in the 90's, and the amps to own were the Zapco, Soundstream D and Class A series, Orion GX and HCCA, Rockford Punch of course, and the PPI series.

Bought the Xenon when it was first introduced, and it was the first PG amp built overseas. But they had a lot of technology packed into them, and I thought I would take a chance. I ran them with a 22 farad cap bank from the TI series which the dealer gave me a very attractive price on, he needed to move it.

But the question is, what does the jury say these days on the Xenon amps. Were they as good as the previous TI series? Are they still competitive with current offerings?

Regards
Mister Pig
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: So How Good Are the Xenon

Post by ttocs »

I would have rated the Ti's above them personally but that is not to say the xenon were not any good. Compaired to what they are making today though I would have to go with the new lines myself. They have just about everything you want now from small/cheaper to large and pricey and they all look/sound good-really damn good....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

they are damn good. when they are working....one of the most advanced amps pg ever made, even the ti's. (ti's were never thought to be too reliable, but still more so than the xenons)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

Bfowler wrote:they are damn good. when they are working....one of the most advanced amps pg ever made, even the ti's. (ti's were never thought to be too reliable, but still more so than the xenons)
shit, guess ive been lucky Ive never ever had a problem with my Tis or Xenons... my damn ZPAs catch fire or thermal overload if I just look at them funny! :lol:
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Early xenon had a few issues, think it was first couple hundred. Later ones were supposed to be more reliable than any other pg high end line ever according to pg returns if I remember right. Part of me thinks it was the voltage dropping at low impedance that made them less likely to combust than zx/ti
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Have never had an issue with any of the Xenons I've had or am currently running ...they're stout, sound great and can't beat the power ratings to price point for them now.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

dvnt88 wrote:Have never had an issue with any of the Xenons I've had or am currently running ...they're stout, sound great and can't beat the power ratings to price point for them now.
Agreed. Also a very good looking amp with great flexibility for various applications because of the Xe.load. I have had a couple 400.1's and they did me well.