What is triple darlington, and why is it advantageous?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

wooferdog

Re: What is triple darlington, and why is it advantageous?

Post by wooferdog »

It's better than single and double,it goes to 3.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

wooferdog wrote:It's better than single and double,it goes to 3.

Please refrain from pointless points.

Anyone with any technical knowledge that can explain?
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

smoothfidelity wrote:

It is the stages of the output transistors. You have stage 1,the pre driver,2 the driver stage and 3 the final output transistors.
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

I lol'd!
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

Darlington refers to the type of amplifier circuit used. With three stages the theoretical current gain of the amp circuit is increased to the power of three. This makes it better suited for driving large currents with low distortion. And we know how good PG amps sound even when loaded down with low impedance loads.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

smoothfidelity wrote:

You got told off .... pmsl .. :mrgreen:
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

PhuckinGood wrote:
smoothfidelity wrote:

You got told off .... pmsl .. :mrgreen:
I thought it would bring a laugh or 2 ,maybe 3. Damn there's that triple again!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I llol'ed, was going to comment that I thought it was funny as well until you got scolded like ya did. I mean c'mon now where is yer sence of humor? I think even he laughed and just didn't want to admit it.

I don't know if adventagous is the right word though. Its not as though it pushed the amp with in an inch of its life its just the name of the system they use to design it. It is a great system, yes and there are other great ones out there but there are alot of companies that wish they had it in their amps.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

suck
Last edited by smoothfidelity on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

There are advantages over many more common MOSFET designs. One of the advantages is you can parallel many more final current gain output transistors to drive stupid currents, although that is not the only advantage. It is also a nice clean audiophile grade design.
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

my
Last edited by smoothfidelity on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

If you are wanting someone to get into the symantics of different amp designs to list the advantages of each and the disadvantages of each I am not sure this is the place for it. When you get into the specifics of each amp they all have their good and bad points and yet they all do the same thing in the end. we like PG products for one reason or another but I know that while there are a few of us that studied amplifier design either in a school program or just for a hobby I am not sure what is advantagous of running an amp at 4 ohms? In reality, ANY amp should be able to drive a 4 ohm load if that is all you are looking for, that is the basic minimum that most are supposed too do. It takes a higher end amp that has the ability to make more power with more speakers on it, and still sound good/great while doing it to get the most out of it. If that is all you need is for the basic minimum expectations of an amp to be met(4ohm) then there are a number of brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing and still much much cheaper.....

I like PG not only because of the triple darlington design but the whole package from the cosmetics, bullet-proof build quality and the SQ/power ratings out of them. Another part of the fun is just saying I own phoenix gold products rockin my car. I mean you can say I have sony/panasonic/jvc/what ever you want in your car and most audio/12v people will still see it as a step down from pg products...
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

Last edited by smoothfidelity on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

no they do not ALL sound the same but on the other side of the coin if you are claiming you can a-b a pair of amps and tell me which is triple darlington and which is not then you are a better listener to me... IF all amps sounded the same then we would all be runnin jensens and calling it a day right?

It seems to escape you that an amps that can easily handle lower impedences with no problem will have NO problem runnin at 4 ohms all day? As we said Triple darlington is a combination of SQ and power output but if all you want is SQ at 4 ohms and an argument then I guess we can keep going around.

This is really erics area I would imagine just have not seen him on this weekend but he might be able to satisfy your sudden need to get to the bottom of triple darlington. I have to ask, what brought this on all of a sudden?
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ahh ok cool now that makes sence.

The clean quality of the Elite line also led me to be back and excited to buy new PG product for the first time in decades. Already have my .2 and just put the money down for the .5 that I am excitedly waiting for. Unfortunatly though I graduated from school in 2000 and that was the last time I really went over amp design stuff. Like I said this is really erics area and I am willing to bet he can answer the questions like this. Can't say I have seen many amps built like the elites though as they are a super solid amp with top-end componants... Since I got my .2 its been in the corner of my room, admired it just now again...
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Stupid current isn't just about 1 ohm or "high current loads", with the triple Darlington setup, your final stage is JUST a current gain stage. Outputs can only be driven so hard, either voltage/current or both. It's a heat dissipation per output issue. By the final drive stage being just current gain, you get a cleaner output, less noise, and can drive your outputs at a higher voltage, where each output is more limited in its current capability, but regain that with more final outputs in parallel. MOSFET designs do something similar, but there is a bigger SQ hit the more outputs they parallel. Many big beefy a/b amps with large sets of parallel outputs sound like ass on the highest power models, they get gain finicky, and very aggressive. The pg stuff sounds the same, just at higher volume levels. Dare I say it, if you wanted stupid headroom and great sq, an old ti800.1 per channel, or even a strapped gain matched pair per channel would still sound great, even running mids and highs. Look at the guys doing home audio with chip amps. They get good sq at low power levels from single chip amp per channel. If someone made a dedicated, well designed 150wpc at 4ohm chip amp that could dissipate the heat, I think they'd get pretty popular in car audio as well. Unfortunately most of the chip amp stuff is really picky on output current, and power dissipation. The MOSFET stuff isn't quite as clean, but is reliable and moderately efficient, triple Darlington costs more in parts, but generally gives you great sq, and the power headroom if you want a bigger beefier design.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

DID that just sate it. :doh:
Collection Growing..........
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Here is a possible advantage...

MOSFETs are voltage controlled current devices. A voltage present controls the current through them.

BJTs are current controlled current devices. A small current flowing into them controls a larger current.

If you had just one stage of current amplification, you would end up with a driving transistor pushed to the max to get the needed current from an output transistor. Any time you have a transistor near its max, it is less linear, and this equates to more distortion.

So, with 3 current stages, you have small currents building in each stage, all the while keeping the transistors operating in their very linear regions.

This means a much more accurate signal amplification at all loads or situations.

Also, keep in mind quad Darlington has been done before as well.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Marcotah

Post by Marcotah »

I assume It also works on music signal, right?
Also, I think we cant forget that speakers loads are variable while playing music and in the most of the cases, impedance increases while the speaker plays near Xmax areas, i.e, a 4 Ohm subwoofer has its theorical 4Ohm load as nominal, but its impedance varies while playing, and who has to pay this cost is the amplifier.
I am not that technical, but I think its maybe brings some advantage, as the most Hi-End home amplifiers uses this kind of design, and its the car audio north the most of the time.
Under Construction:
Alpine INA-W910
Arc Audio PS8 (Optical Linked)
Amplifiers (Elites? PDX? HD's? Zapco?)
Focal KRX3 Running Active
2 Image Dynamics IDQ10v3
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

We prolly wont see him much anymore... goto diyaudio and get schooled!
Square 1
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

Last edited by smoothfidelity on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

welcome to the phorum?! Not to be rude but I have to ask, what makes you and this post special? Anytime I post on an open public forum I expect to have some static to sort through in the answers to find the answer I seek. I also would not go to a camaro forum and expect to hear much negative about the car they love even though I am a mustang fan. But to come off as an abrasive sob on your first posts on the phorum, almost troll-like on many occasions only to end attacking one of the regulars would also not get you any respect. If you want respect you have to give it..... The post above that everyone, well except you I guess has admitted made them laugh a bit was not out of line nearly as much as how you went afterhim. You got back what you put out so don't be mad if you were not treated as though gods-spawn himself was asking us for an opinion and we owed him more then what he thought.
smoothfidelity

Post by smoothfidelity »

Last edited by smoothfidelity on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.