Who wants to try and fix this ? Car electronics

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Me-262

Who wants to try and fix this ? Car electronics

Post by Me-262 »

Ok so its not car audio, well it does beep so maybe it is. Problem is, it doesn't work. Not all all. There's a little blue LED between the words DC SOURCE and DEFI LINK to indicate its powered up, doesn't come on , doesn't beep. You're looking at a DEFI controller, what this does is act as the controlling unit for the matching gauges like Water & Oil temp , Boost pressure, EGT..... I picked up this setup a little while back knowing the controller doesn't work and have since bought another HU. It occured to me the other day this is probably fixeable so I present to you the challenge. Who here (Eric I'm looking at you) would like to try their hand at making this work again ? I've opened it up and it looks simple enough in there, can't see anything burnt or leaking myself. Here's pics of what it looks like inside and what the gauges look like.

trickyricky

Re: Who wants to try and fix this ? Car electronics

Post by trickyricky »

It's all smd (well besides that Toshiba through hole transistor...lol) so I'll doubt Eric would want to mess with that could be a simple as a blown fuse...pico fuse?
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Nah, not the fuse. I took those pics using the exact same wiring harness with the new controller so I know the wiring isn't the issue. There is no internal fuse in this unit, you're looking at everything under the plastic.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

a pico fuse is a surface mount pice that would be as small as a few mm at the most.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pic ... ORM=HDRSC2

Generally if you can find the constant/ground pins you can follow them and it should be one of the first few componants on the board. I see something labeled "F2" towards the top right, there should be an F1 as well somewhere then see if you can find them.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

also just out of stupidity...

Whats the dip switches on the left hand side of the board for? I noticed they are both on the off portion of the switch and, well start simple...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

I wish I was that stupid :doh: Those are a) buzzer sound and b) opening/closing ceremony mode, I've played with them just in case but to no avail. But nice catch none the less.
finbar

Post by finbar »

I usually start looking where humans interface with the device. Are there any dry joints where connectors plug in?
The power connector in particular.

It looks like there are some onboard fuses. Look for continuity at F2 and F5 for instance.
board.jpg
Is the solder solid on these joints?
power.jpg