RMD Displays, Lo & Hi

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Damo95

RMD Displays, Lo & Hi

Post by Damo95 »

Hi guys.

I'm a little baffled here..
my TRMD which is connected to my Tantrum 1200.1 sometimes shows up Hi. on the display.

What does this, and Lo mean?
I'm assuming Lo means low voltage, but is Hi for High voltage (even tho the volt meter (stinger) hooked to my TDD5 reads normal voltage)?
This only happens while my car is running.

I can turn my source off (alpine iva-w502e) and back on, and it'll then read fine..

I've got a D34 under the bonnet and a 1/0 gauge run to the back of my wagon which splits to 4 gauge into each amp from my custom built distribution blocks.
I've grabbed a multimeter and checked the voltages but they are all within their limits.

Please help, as I'm confused! (that's if i haven't confused anyone else)

If i've missed any details, please ask!
Damo - Australian member..
Speakers: 3 way front - morel elate9 (in custom doors), Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" midrange (in kicks), Scanspeak 1" illuminator (in custom a-pillars)
Subwoofers: 3x Phoenix Gold Ti2 10d2 (in wheel well enclosure)
PG Ti amps: 2x Ti600.4 (front stage) + Ti2500.1 (sub duties)
vwdude

Re: RMD Displays, Lo & Hi

Post by vwdude »

so when the display is reading "hi" your DMM shows somewhere around 14.4 v? i dont know the limits but i would think that something around 16v would cause it to say "hi". if you can confirm that your voltage really is high it could be a bad voltage regulator (sometimes internal to the alt, sometimes its external).

if your voltage is fine then I would think its the TRMD acting up. thats the issue with digital voltage gauges versus analog ones...they require a microcontroller to convert the signal to the display.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Starunit10

Post by Starunit10 »

My hi trigers at .2 or .3 above 15. V.
Collection Growing..........
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

Back of the rmd has a pot on it to adjust it to make sure its reading correctly. Might be time to take a volt-meter and check that its reading correctly as its not uncommon that it drifts.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Damo95

Post by Damo95 »

It's been flicking from Hi to the voltage, usually at around 13.8-14.0 and after I've had the stereo cranking a bit..

Voltage at the front of the car (and my other volt meter) read 13.8 at that particular time.. It's also done it while driving but I tested it while stopped of course..

A few times, it looked like the rmd couldn't make up it's mind, flicking quickly between hi and 13.8-13.9..

I'm now guessing that there's an issue with the rmd or within the amps. :cry:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Damo - Australian member..
Speakers: 3 way front - morel elate9 (in custom doors), Peerless HDS Exlusive 4" midrange (in kicks), Scanspeak 1" illuminator (in custom a-pillars)
Subwoofers: 3x Phoenix Gold Ti2 10d2 (in wheel well enclosure)
PG Ti amps: 2x Ti600.4 (front stage) + Ti2500.1 (sub duties)
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

My RMD reads "hi" often, with the cutoff being 14.6 volts. Anything above that will trigger the "hi" display. I wouldn't worry about your amps, it's just the RMD. It may even be adjustable, I'm not sure.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?