PG ZX Showoff opportunity

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
imo1

PG ZX Showoff opportunity

Post by imo1 »

Hi guys

Ok so for my first post i'd like to ask if the peeps with ZX amps can post some pics of their install.

I'll be installing my ZX450 and 500 next week, and i'm looking for some mounting ideas.

From what i've read, these amps are pretty good. I haven't heard them yet, but very excited to. I bought them when i had a car with a much bigger trunk, and have changed cars since then. I now have a 2012 VW Polo, so space is limited.

Thanks
Imo
vwdude

Re: PG ZX Showoff opportunity

Post by vwdude »

Sorry I dont have pics, but my buddy had those exact amps in his 96 impala. He had one on each side of the trunk, mounted vertically behind plexi. He always got lots of attention at shows. that trunk was about the size of your entire car so you will need to be creative for sure.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I did a large system back when they were new in a guys car. 4 X-max 12's, two ZX500s and a zx450 in an infinity. It actually rattled one of our fluorescent lights out of its fixture while we were testing it all. You want to see a bunch of installers jump drop one of those 6ft tubes behind a bunch of people playing with expensive electronics. Everyone out of the car jumped 6ft off the ground from the sound, the guy in the car ran out because of our reaction and the vapor/haze but he didn't hear anything. 3 months later that same car came back with the complaint that the trunk would not open. Sure enough not the key, alarm, nor lever on the side would open it the bass had somehow rattled it so it was inoperable and the system we built made it impossible to go through the trunk. Unfortunatly it was so long ago I am not sure what happened too the pics. two subs mounted facing back normally, two mounted inverse in the spare tire well, the two 500s on one side and the 450 across the other behind plexi. Wish I had pics of it as all the funny stories of that car are good memories.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
imo1

Post by imo1 »

Yeah that would have been awesome to see. i thought of an amp on either side of the trunk, so that it could still be usable if i remove the sub enclosure.
Another option was to mount each under the front seats.

Since these amps are so rare here in South Africa, i really wanted to show them off. I have the black ones , which would go well with the JL 12w3v3 sub i plan on using.

Anyone else think they may be able to dig up or organise some pics?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22669
Black was nice as it was the most durable finish they had. You must have some really BIG seats to fit these amps under them but there is no way I would hide them. If you need to be able to remove them like your sub box with a little extra planning it doesn't have to be that hard. The stereo I just took out of my mustang I designed so that I could pull it out in 30-45 mins if I needed too. The new one I also hope to have some of the heavier parts in the trunk too be easy to remove. When they are easier to take out they are easier to tune or repair If needed. I have build systems where the amps end up buried and then when you need to tweek or adjust something simple suddenly its a HUGE deal.
imo1

Post by imo1 »

That's definitely what im trying to avoid. That's why the idea of each amp on either side of the trunk, with the MDF sub enclosure against the back seat, and sub firing towards the tailgate appeals to me.
Then if i need to load or get to my spare wheel i can just unplug the box and remove in a few mins.

Im going for a simpler install that covers the basics but sounds good. Since my focal K2P's will be run passively, im even considering running only the 450 is space is an issue, but i first wana see how the sub performs on the bridged rear channels.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

ttocs wrote:http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22669
Black was nice as it was the most durable finish they had. You must have some really BIG seats to fit these amps under them but there is no way I would hide them. If you need to be able to remove them like your sub box with a little extra planning it doesn't have to be that hard. The stereo I just took out of my mustang I designed so that I could pull it out in 30-45 mins if I needed too. The new one I also hope to have some of the heavier parts in the trunk too be easy to remove. When they are easier to take out they are easier to tune or repair If needed. I have build systems where the amps end up buried and then when you need to tweek or adjust something simple suddenly its a HUGE deal.
Theres good and bad sides of having a system thats easy to remove. Its great if you plan to race the car (I see its a mustang) and you want to loose the weight fast. Its also great, as you said, to remove for servicing. The downside is if someone breaks into the car, they can be off with LOT$ of equipment, fast.

I havnt built a system for show for a long time. When I was younger I always wanted to display my stuff behind plexi, even the motor structures of my subs (plexi windows in my sub box), but in my more mature years I have been finding ways to hide stuff. This is why I got into building fiberglass enclosures and making use of spare tire wells. Its amazing how much dead space cars have these days (even the VW polo) behind trunk panels and under seats.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

security can be an issue but again with a little bit of thinking ahead it isn't hard to make it super solid and yet hide the fasteners to where unless they know where they are, they will not find them. Mix in some security fasteners and its really just about as safe. This is a fair-weather car for me that is garaged otherwise. I do want to be able to go to the track with out it all in the trunk and I have also found it handy when you need to leave it somewhere to service it. I had some motor trouble in az and was going to need to leave it at a shop for 2-3 days. I had a buddy with a truck pick me up and I stripped the stereo in the trunk out in less then 30 mins and threw it all in his truck and took off and didn't have to worry about stuff being stolen.
imo1

Post by imo1 »

BUMP

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'd still appreciate if peeps can post pics or even links to threads that they may have come across.

Cheers