Rta meter

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Drock

Rta meter

Post by Drock »

I'm hoping to get help figuring out how to use an audio control RTA Meter. I picked one up awhile ago, I've just never used one before. I put it on the dash, hooked up the mic, pushed power. ( looks cool) lol. Now what? I do have the manual. But having no background in using an rta I don't really understand what it's saying.
Any help here would be great. Thanks
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Rta meter

Post by Eric D »

Do you happen to own an EQ, like a PG EQ232? If so, that is a good way to learn an RTA. You can run a CD player to the EQ, and the output into the RTA. With pink noise you should get a flat signal on the display, when the EQ circuit is defeated. When enabled you should be able to move the sliders and verify the changes on the RTA display.

Once you get the basics down, you can then plug in the mic, install it in your vehicle, and then play pink noise on the system to see its response.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks Eric. I will give that a try. I'm not sure how to connect the rta to the eq yet. But working on it.
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

What model RTA is it ? I have a SA-3052 that I use and the input on it to run from the EQ out is input 3.You will need to use a RCA to 1/4 inch mono adapter. Don't use input 2,it is a RCA input but for a O scope probe. It has a pink noise generator built in that you can connect right to the EQ input.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
Drock

Post by Drock »

Ill take a photo in bit of the rta. I found a cable I think will work this morning so I'm going to try it out tonight. In a home show all day promoting the new spray foam company.
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

Most models are almost the same depending on the options,get ready for hours of fun!!
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Drock wrote:Ill take a photo in bit of the rta. I found a cable I think will work this morning so I'm going to try it out tonight. In a home show all day promoting the new spray foam company.
Hope you have better luck with home show than we did. Just had a bunch of lookyloo's no sales as of yet :(
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

there is a pink noise generator on the rta, get a 1/4 to stereo rca connector, plug that into your signal processor, after the head unit- then begin to flat line the eq curve as much as possible- then connect your headunit back into the circuit, leave the controls flat, you are equalized at that point, then if you wish to tune to personal preference you can color with the head unit- that way you can always return it to flat=
its pretty easy derrick, if you need anything, feel free to get a hold of me- you have a wonderful toy there
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks Dave. I was not sure how I was going to connect to the eq but by luck my daughter was digging in the bag for the rta and found the adaptor plug I needed in the bag with the mic. So I'll get to play around with it tomorrow. Can't wait to see the big display working.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I sure sign you're getting old is when your kids show you how to get your technology working. :D
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Kirghiz wrote:I sure sign you're getting old is when your kids show you how to get your technology working. :D
My 7 year old is a wiz kid when it comes to anything electronics and games. You should see the size of his thumbs. Lol
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

:thumleft: :shock:

This is a buddy of mine. Not surprisingly, his nickname is "thumbs"

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Drock

Post by Drock »

Well, been grinning ear to ear today. Tweaking the system since yesterday, and listening to some music I haven't listened to in awhile. I've learned a lot of tip and trick since joining the Phorum. Lots of great help here. So far I've never been happier. Really hope I get to work with the meter tonight. I wanted to play with it yesterday but my wife had other plans.
Drock

Rta meter

Post by Drock »

Well guess everything is on hold again. Blizzarding out here yet again.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Hey guys, I have been using my audio control rta meter a bit more. Ive been tying to measure my spl with the new elite subs and an elite.1, i was surprised that just i was metering at about 133 bd. i was a bit frustrated thinking how can this be as i had the same measurement with a single dd3512 sub. So i went to audio controls website and did some reading. Turns out the mic that comes with my meter is only good to a 135 db. The web site says that there is a high spl mic model spl-180. Does anyone have or know where i can find/buy this. I would like one asap. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

You will have to send the rta to audio control to get the high spl option installed to use the 150db mic with it.
Drock

Post by Drock »

wooferdog wrote:You will have to send the rta to audio control to get the high spl option installed to use the 150db mic with it.
Really! Ah crap. I'll try to contact audio control today.
Is there a way to tell if the upgrade was done in my unit already or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

Look on the back,it should have a sticker that shows the installed options.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Ok I'll look. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk