Overpower R310d or Underpower Ti210d?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
OldSkool

Overpower R310d or Underpower Ti210d?

Post by OldSkool »

Now that I have the posted specs on the Ti21600.5 I can continue with my speaker selection.

Subs will be getting 450-500watts each. Leaning toward a vented enclosure for 2 10s. Either way, will I be better off slightly overpowering the R3 subs (400w rms) or slightly underpowering the Ti subs (600w rms)?
kg1961
Got wood?

Re: Overpower R310d or Underpower Ti210d?

Post by kg1961 »

OldSkool wrote:Now that I have the posted specs on the Ti21600.5 I can continue with my speaker selection.

Subs will be getting 450-500watts each. Leaning toward a vented enclosure for 2 10s. Either way, will I be better off slightly overpowering the R3 subs (400w rms) or slightly underpowering the Ti subs (600w rms)?
you would be fine over powering... some people when under powering turn there amp up to clipping to try to get more output this is not good for the sub or the amp
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Having overpowered a Ti2 10" for 3 months, I actually believe you're better off underpowering the Ti2 then overpowering the R3. Never thought I'd ever say that, but there it is. You can make these subs jump the gap with too much power if you aren't real careful.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning toward the Ti210. I like that they are beastly subs and offer the opportunity to give them more power in the future if I change amps. Just not sure how they will sound on only 450-500watts. I have been able to perfectly match my sub RMS to my amp output in systems past. I ride my subs pretty hard in my usual 20-30min drives around town and want something that will take the abuse when called upon for years to come.

Kirghiz, how much power were you giving your Ti210 and did you have any issues with the sub? Also, what type of enclosure are you running the Ti10 in?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I had a single dual 4 Running two ohms off an Elite.5, which the birth certificate stated like 750 watts rms. I had the gains turned all the way down. It was ported in 1.75cu. It sounded real good, and people didn't believe I just had a single 10". One guy even said he heard me coming from a 1/4 mile away one time. But, when I would drive it hard I could smell the coils, and I knew it wouldn't be long for the world. Especially since my buddy stood a ruler up beside of it when it was running wide open, and measured the excursion at exactly an inch, which it should only be about 3/4.

I then upgraded to four of them sealed in just under 2.5cu running off an Elite1 that's making about 2800 watts on the birth certificate. I'm still overpowering, but being sealed they take the power better now, and I can't physically stand to overdrive them. Lol

I will say that they sound MUCH better sealed, but of course they get louder ported. I'd say a single ported will have roughly the same output in car as a pair sealed, and a pair sealed will take up less space than a single ported, but the sound won't travel anywhere near as far from the vehicle in a sealed box. If being heard from blocks away is important, go with a ported box.

I would say that 500 watts would be just fine for one to be honest. If I do anything else to my sub system it would be to add 4 more and run eight off of this amp at 1 ohm, where it makes about 4000 watts.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

Sounds like I should be pretty happy with 2 of them ported with about 500watts if you were that happy with the single ported 10. From what you were saying about the single ported 10 output, your 4 10's sound about as loud as 2 ported 10's would?

I thought of trying to fit 3 or 4 in a sealed box but I have less than 1000watts to give them right now and think I will be happier with the volume from the ported enclosure. I could care less about how far the sound travels as long as it sounds great inside the cab. Actually prefer it that way :wink:

I am also looking for any suggestions for the box design, sub and port directions. I would love to fit a 4th order enclosure for the subs but that would take up a LOT of real estate!
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Yeah, I'd say it's about as loud as a pair ported, more or less. In my case, I only had a total of 3.1 Cubic feet of airspace to work with, and the amps had to fit in that space as well, so porting two wasn't an option. It made more sense in my install to go with a ton of power because it doesn't take as much space, and cram a bunch of subs into a sealed box. Because of that though, the bass is very clean and tight, so it is very much a loud SQ system.

Basically, the vehicle I had to work with cost me more money to get the sound I wanted, but subs come and go, amps you can keep forever. My next vehicle will use these amps too, so it was an investment.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

*LONG TERM UPDATE

3 TI10ds running on a Ti21600.5 getting about 460w each in sealed enclosures is a fantastic match! They sound amazing with crisp deep bass and have been slamming hard for years! I have one 10 on the rear channels, and two 10s running off the sub channel in my supercab F150. I will say that I do wish I had a full 600w to give each of them for slightly more bass because I'm a basshead lol... but It's probably more than fine for most people.