who is running the new Ti series subs?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gentlejax2

who is running the new Ti series subs?

Post by gentlejax2 »

I have one, works well..but I have a JBL power series 12 also which is much larger and "should" move more air. But my box is not right for it and I think I am just barely giving it the power it needs.

but I am wanting input from the PG Users on the new Ti subs. I like it but I also think I need more power which I have a solution for.

i have tried to get info on the new subs but havnt found the thread that is supposed to be on here about them
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
Kirghiz

Re: who is running the new Ti series subs?

Post by Kirghiz »

I have four of the 10's and I like them pretty good. In my experience you'll do better with a 10" sub in the right enclosure than a 12" sub in an enclosure that is too small.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

I like them both but may go down to a jbl 10 cause I can manage it better and it's still closer to 11.5 than 10.

I just feel the oversized jbl will dig deeper. Which I want. I don't need it all the time but its cool to have ability to get really low if feel like it.
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The Phoenix Gold subs will get down about as low as any other sub if you put them in the right enclosure. I wouldn't switch if it's just a matter of getting low. If you are looking to increase output than that is another matter.

I will say that I had a single Ti2 10" ported for a while, and people were shocked to find out that I only had a single 10" sub. If you put a clean 600 or 700 watts on it, it will get low, and it will pound.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
gentlejax2

Post by gentlejax2 »

Well. Power is my first issue. I think I need more even though they are both pretty efficient.

I'm running a xenon 400.1 and so Im getting less than 500rms.

The jbl ranges from. 400-1600 I think and I thought the Ti2 was 600rms.

The excursion on the Ti is much more than the JBL but the cone area on the JBL is little more than 14 inches.

I want the most I can get from the sub without going to huge box.

I was going to try 1 cft box and 700-1000 watts depending on which sub I use.

The Ti2 is dual 2ohm. The jbl is dual 4ohm.
99 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Here is a very unscientific way to measure them head to head. Measure the width of your sub from suspension to suspension, and then multiply (width x width) x 3.14 (pi). That will give you the cone area. Then, multiply the cone area by the suspension travel. The Ti2 has a 40mm suspension travel I know, but you'll have to look up the JBL. Just make sure the value of both suspension travels are in millimeters to keep the result constant. The end value should offer a decent comparison of which sub will move more air.

Having said that, that doesn't take into account the subwoofer's efficiency either. The Ti2 has a very good sensitivity of 91db. Every 3 db increase represents about a doubling of amplifier power, so if the JBL sub has a sensitivity of 85db, it would take roughly four times as much power to achieve the same volume on a meter as the Ti2.

If the math in the first paragraph is close, then the advantage will go to the sub with the higher sensitivity, and there are few subs anymore that can match the PG subs there.