What Ever Came Of The MPH6300?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Kirghiz

What Ever Came Of The MPH6300?

Post by Kirghiz »

Phoenix Gold only made one of them as I understand it, and it was under glass at PG's home office. Since the company changed hands, where did it go? Does AAMP have it now?

This was the amp that was rated at 75 watts x 6 and came with a 9 band eq and 190 amp alternator. It wasn't for sale, but people kept trying to buy it, and the last value I heard for it was around $200,000. Considering it measured 15 x 5.5 X 48, you assume that the 75x6 is a lolrating.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: What Ever Came Of The MPH6300?

Post by ttocs »

aamp doesn't have it, its here.... Rold gold got ahold of it some time ago I think it was.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Did he install it? Keeping an amp like that under glass is denying it it's purpose.

To be fair though, I'm not sure I would install it.....
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

pretty sure it was never made completely functional.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

It´s missing some essential parts to be fully working but i bet that a guy like Eric_d from the phorum has the knowledge and the skills to be able to finish it.

Never the less an amp i would like to have for sure. Here´s some pics of it.
http://photo.stipud.com/v/stereo/mph6300/

The guy behind it isn´t a dwarf (at least i think so... :lol:) it´s the amp that is so big
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yea its ok. :lol:
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

What do you think the RMS power would really be on it? Surely 75 watts by 6 at 4 ohm is conservative.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Kirghiz wrote:What do you think the RMS power would really be on it? Surely 75 watts by 6 at 4 ohm is conservative.
Probably 100W x 6 or so.

It is built to be a no compromise SQ amp. There are physically not enough parts in it in to make "big power".
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Drock

Post by Drock »

So how does one come to a value of 200k I wonder. And non working to boot. That's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Drock wrote:So how does one come to a value of 200k I wonder. And non working to boot. That's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Back in '93 they had it listed at $125k. I took it that they've had offers over the years. The main point I think is that it was never for sale, and they've priced it so no one could afford it.

But.........Phoenix Gold collectors pay big bucks for vintage PG gear. How much would one pay for an amp that is literally one of a kind, and apparently brand new? It's actually newer than brand new since it hasn't even been test benched yet. :lol:

Someone needs to finish it and run it at 2 ohm stereo driving 12 sets of components, and run a The One beside of it for the subs.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Drock wrote:So how does one come to a value of 200k I wonder. And non working to boot. That's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
if you look at the amount of real gold inside, you might disagree. Gold plated faraday cages around each one to isolate them? Gold plated heat-sinks on the coils? On top of that it was a completely redesigned amp from the ground up so consider the amount of time spent on R&D, let alone on the custom tooling.... It was made more as a statement piece and it got a lot of attention back then especially considering it never was operational. I think it was for little more then to max out the Carsound price guide for the year, and it did..
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

actually the first price was less than 7000.00, and when I tried to buy the thing, they decided to keep people from asking to own one, that they would raise the price and make it ridiculous- when it was listed for 7k, I was told then that the power supply needed to finished and that would probably be another 2k in early 90 dollars- I think ichi actually owns it, and its quite cool to have it, but it seems to me to be either an albatross, or the ultimate collectible- either was it resurrects itself about every 6 months or so, in conversation-
Odd how they kept raising the pricing in their sales info
first 6000 something, then 10,000, then 100,000, and finally 200,000?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

The gold on the amp is just plating. It won't add much to the value.

I have a Car Audio & Electronics buyers guide with it listed at $99k, so its price has been all over the map.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
alpineaudio

Post by alpineaudio »

On one of my tours through the offices, production floor and testing lab in Portland, I saw the amp in Keith's office. It looked AMAZING. I was told by our rep at the time that the amp made it's way across the pond over to Europe to be shown off at a sound off competition. Unfortunately I was told some of their reps over there at the time decided to try and hook it up, only to break the amp..... :oops: