power core do they do anything ?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
iroller

power core do they do anything ?

Post by iroller »

Couldn't answer here theres 108 pages. Is a power core worth the trouble some people say they don't help ? whats most people think ? Thanks for your reply.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: power core do they do anything ?

Post by Bfowler »

iroller wrote:Couldn't answer here theres 108 pages. Is a power core worth the trouble some people say they don't help ? whats most people think ? Thanks for your reply.

i like them! works as a power/ground block, ads input capacitance (that usefulness under debate), and smooths out ac ripples in your power flow. kind of spendy, but if you have a line on one...i say do it
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I would spend that cash on a bigger/better batter/alt myself.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I had the same problem, everyone has a different opinion. So I never could decide what was the better way to go. I ended up getting a bigger alt, and using the power core 15, as bfowler says. It is a great power ground distro with a bit of filtering at worst. And at best it does what it's supposed to. I figure this way I don't have to wonder what if. And the power core looks cool if you have the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

It isn't something that would hurt you, but these days when you show off an install with a cap, some will laugh at you.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The idea that it CAN'T do any harm is not necessarily true as I heard of a couple occasions where it must have confused the stock charging system as the vehicle would have the strangest electrical issues until it was removed. These were isolated but I thought we even had one on here?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Some vehicles are quirky like that, but as a general rule, it isn't going to hurt you.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Yes but when you look at a cap in an install. Yes it looks like crap I agree. But a power core, I don't thing anyone would laugh at one. If anything it looks like a bad ass power and ground distro that makes a nice, easy, and clean looking install. And I'm biased because I own three of them lol
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The distro block is nice and easy but The fact all of its outputs are un-fused has always been a problem with me. With that much storage potential if either the power wire to the battery, or any of the wires to the amps shorts out there really should be something there at the caps inputs and ouputs to protect it and the car from shorting out.
Drock

Post by Drock »

That is a good point Scott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

And that is the reason i will not put one in my install. That and it does not match :lol:

I will be installing a few old school caps (go ahead, have a laugh) only because i am building as if it was a total sponsored job. Back in 97, they would definitely put multiple caps in there.

On friday i bought some stuff off of a guy who offered me a 15F Powercore with a spare cover for $200. Thought about painting one case white but decided to pass on it.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

I have 3 in my system and they do work....if you have the rest of the system taken care of..... its kind of like buying 'the one' and stopping there with the system...in reality the amplifier is the easy and fairly affordable part of the install compared to all the other crap you need to do to support it, there is a reason alumapro is still selling caps for 600 plus, and if you have the pockets 1500 for that 50farad, that being said, is a stinger 50 farad for 200.00 the same head to head as an alumapro 50- I would think not--- there is lots of you tube, controversy and 'theoreitcal' discussions.....but they always seem to be driven by people that dont actually have a cap in their system- its kind of like the kinetik 'marketing' that little 600 is not a 100 farad cap equivalent, there is a place for kinetiks/agm, and there is a place for good caps as well, and best of both worlds, is using both.... if you can actually inspect the cap, to make sure that it isnt leaking, and to make sure that the main terminals are still intact, and that the copper buss bars are still there and not corroded away, you should buy it for 200, or offer 160, he will probably take it- as long as the cap isnt leaking, everything else can be cleaned, or replaced- if putting into your system, glue a piece ofrubber mat on the floor of the case to keep the positive from breaking and shorting to ground, after that is taken care of most of your issues will be handled-
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I can start my mustang GT with that little kinetic 600. Can you do that with your caps? Talking a high-torque V-8 starter not some import either....
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

davewaibel wrote:there is a reason alumapro is still selling caps for 600 plus, and if you have the pockets 1500 for that 50farad
While I think caps have a place in a system, $1500 for a cap of any size is retarded. For $1500 you can get a 370 amp alternator with dual mount bracket and a second battery and basically give the audio system its own electrical system.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

x2
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

yes you could do that if your running a small block v8,try doing it on a little 4cylinder, no one makes anything that allows you to double/triple your alternator, then you have to spend time reinventing the wheel,,,,, the original question isnt what is economically prudent, the question was do they do anything...... and yes I cannot start my car with my caps..... but you cannot run my system with one 600 kinetik either- I have no noise, no dimming, no dead battery, no dead alternator- so obviously they do something....
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Lots of good points here. And the debate continues..... :?:

I have bought several things off this guy over the past couple months and we have a mutual love for PG. I could definitely spend the time and inspect the Powercore. I might just take your advice Dave and pick this up. Even if i do not install it, lol. He also has some other goodies i might just post and see if anyone on here might want :wink:

Funny you mention it, I am currently in the midst of tripling my output from a 60amp to a 200amp alternator on my little 4 cylinder 8)
Actually it is as simple as a bracket and rewiring a plug (i hope) :pray:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
davewaibel

Post by davewaibel »

for a 200 amp alternator, yes you are correct, its pretty straight forward, and gotten cheap over the years, the trick comes when you need more than 200, then you need a kind machinist who takes pitty on you and have a love of audio, to figure out how to bracket 3 alternators on a little 2.2 liter, when you talk to the once leaders of the alternator world, what you usually get is the 'sound of crickets'....
I did the math on correctly hooking up 'the one', and if you got a deal on the amplifier at 3500- you would spend about 2000 to get it to power/operate correctly with alternators/batteries/wire/ect- I know that there are few that have this amplifier on the phorum, but no one ever talks about 'running' it- would be interesting to get a story on 'owning the one, one year later'.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

200 will be plenty for my needs thankfully. No "The One" for me. I will be content with my elaborate "old school" setup. It has taken a year and plenty of money to get to this point. All while saving for a wedding. I have to be discreet, if she knew how much i have invested, she would lose it :twisted:

I also would like to see that amp in a proper, real world install, getting used and how it affects the vehicle over time. Any takers? :lol:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

davewaibel wrote:the trick comes when you need more than 200, then you need a kind machinist who takes pitty on you and have a love of audio, to figure out how to bracket 3 alternators on a little 2.2 liter, when you talk to the once leaders of the alternator world, what you usually get is the 'sound of crickets'....
Honestly, a lot depends on the engine and the vehicle. A 2.2L, yeah, probably not, and even if you could, good luck finding a vehicle that employs a 2.2L that has enough space to incorporate the number of subs that could take "The One", or even (2) Elite.1's. The One's 2 ohm output is the same as (2) Elite.1's strapped. The smallest way to go and take that kind of power is (4) Elite.12D's, and while you could get that ported enclosure into a small vehicle, you'd be talking about building it in the vehicle or removing the rear seats entirely. It could be done, but there are easier vehicles to do it in. Remember, those amps aren't small and you haven't even addressed the mids yet.

Now, if you are talking about a vehicle that employs the GM 5.3L, which is the darling of car audio enthusiasts everywhere, you can do just about whatever you want. Many of those vehicles even have a 2nd battery stand under the hood, and all of them come with the space you need to handle the subs that would take that kind of power. Two or even three 370 amp alternators (plus the OEM to power the vehicle) will power whatever you wanted to throw at it.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/brackets-and ... =Chevrolet

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/brackets-and ... ne=5.3L+V8

Pretty much, if you are going to spend that kind of money on the audio system, you have the money to select the right vehicle for it as well.