Tweeters!

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
LowandLoud

Tweeters!

Post by LowandLoud »

Most of you know i am piecing together an old school system. My original choice for mids and highs was a set of old QM160 MBQuarts. I have since found a set of Boston Pro series 5.25's. Way better speakers but..... no tweeters with them. I am looking for suggestions for a tweeter that:
A- I can buy/find seperately
B- Will be super clear and enjoyable to listen to
C- Will run off an M44 well
D- Not incredibly rare so it takes 3 years to find a set
E- Preferably not more than $200

I have conceeded that a new tweeter might not be a bad idea so they dont have to be 15 years old. I have heard/read about people using Seas and Vifa highs. There are actually some available to me local so wondering if these are all they are cracked up to be? They are rather large but thats not a problem. They are 6 Ohm though, will that work?

I understand that everyone has different listening tastes and preferences but hopeful some people will chime in who have listened to more sets than I. Thanks a bunch gents.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Re: Tweeters!

Post by stipud »

Seas, Tymphany (Vifa, ScanSpeak, Peerless), Morel, Dynaudio, etc. are all great brands.

Know that most home audio tweeters are designed to be on-axis (pointed directly at you), as opposed to car tweeters, which are much better off-axis.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

I really like my dynaudio md102
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

I would just get the Boston pro tweeter. Seems logical to me. I saw some 60 tweeters and crossovers for $100 on eBay the other week.
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

most oldskool boston tweeters have an impedance of 6 ohm.... pro and rally tweeters.....
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

If you have Seas gear local to you, I'd listen to that first and see if you like it.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Hey bud ...also give the Image Dynamics XS-28's a shot. They're what come with their XS line (Top of the line for ID) and have been very ...very impressed with them. I'm running 2 sets of the XS-65 comps in the beast off the Elite.5 and they sound better than the old-skool TIElite 6.5 sets I replaced ...and that's fuckin' hard to do. Give 'em a shot if ya can locally ...you won't be disappointed and they run $100 a set (tweeters only) shipped from woofersetc.com, below is the link from their ad on the bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XS-28-IMAGE-DYN ... 19be642058
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Drock

Post by Drock »

The new ti tweeters are my new favorites.
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

The tweeters have been relisted

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewi ... 0822900815

Hope link works

I was sure the pro gear is 3 ohm

And an obvious match for Boston woofers gotta be Boston tweeters. They going cheap too.
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Thanks for the ideas guys.

While keeping the set all Boston seems like a good idea, those are alloy dome and i think i want to go with something softer. After all, the Quarts i already have are alloy dome and most people agree they are harsh sounding. I think the ID look like a good option. And DVNT88 hasnt steered me wrong yet. I have a few other things i need to order from Woofers etc anyways, maybe i can combine shipping :hmm:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I recently bought Rally series replacements directly from Boston for a very fair price.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

LowandLoud wrote:Thanks for the ideas guys.

While keeping the set all Boston seems like a good idea, those are alloy dome and i think i want to go with something softer. After all, the Quarts i already have are alloy dome and most people agree they are harsh sounding. I think the ID look like a good option. And DVNT88 hasnt steered me wrong yet. I have a few other things i need to order from Woofers etc anyways, maybe i can combine shipping :hmm:

LL
Quarts harsh sounding? The only complaint I ever had from a customer about them was a lack of mid-bass at high volumes which I was never able to get around.

ID makes some great tweets as does boston but mixing tweeters in a component set will always be a compromise of one thing or another.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

ttocs wrote:
LowandLoud wrote:Thanks for the ideas guys.

LL
Quarts harsh sounding? The only complaint I ever had from a customer about them was a lack of mid-bass at high volumes which I was never able to get around.

ID makes some great tweets as does boston but mixing tweeters in a component set will always be a compromise of one thing or another.

Not if you match them properly based on each tweeters specs :naughty: . I've had issues with MB tweets as well as any type of metal dome tweeter will sound harsh / shrill at higher volumes unlike silk dome or ribbon tweeters 8) . Each to his own taste and as I said, the ID tweets are phenominal sounding and are the best I've heard to date and I've mix'd and matched my fair share of comps and tweets ...just my .02, but your ears will tell you what works best for your application. :mrgreen:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

right and by the time you factor in the impedance graph and the on/off axis sound the possibility of finding a perfect match outside of the original line isn't as easy as just picking out one that seems too sound good. I didn't notice anyone either looking at the original tweeters data here nor trying to match the new speakers data either so just putting a tweeter that you hear sounds good, or you think sounds as good as the original is just a crap shoot at best....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ just a suggestion on my end, but each to his own and if ur system is that important to you then do what you feel is the right thing to do if you don't wanna involve the effort.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Not looking to start any fights, just looking for suggestions.

I havent gotten too involved with all the specs on the tweeters partly because i have not been able to find anything on the Pro 5.0LF set and if i dont have anything to compare to/against, what am i really looking for?
Another set has come up on Kijiji identical to mine but they are a 4.5 hour drive from me. Too far for casual spin. Not sure i want to ship a set that i cannot test for myself.
I have never seen a bad review of any ID gear, though that doesnt mean they will work flawless with a Boston Xover. For $100, i can justify the gamble. If they sound like poo, i can put them in my new (to me) car, with my Roadster66 8) Hell, i can even see what setup sounds better in the truck and put whatever is left in the car. (02 Accord) I will have options.

Thanks again guys for your input, it is appreciated.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ Not fightin' at all bud, just givin' my .10c since my .02c is free. :)
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

I bear gifts, I believe specifically for you ....

All products bench tested servicable.
You get what you see, no wires, no mounting clips.
Advise if interested.

HH
Attachments
IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Well i'll be damned :shock:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
Prime mova