SQ Subs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
iroller

SQ Subs

Post by iroller »

I want use 2 10'' that seems to be the best layout for SQ. I also what to show them off so I want to reverse mount them do you guys have some pretty frames in your minds for sq ? What are the brand names ?Thanks For your replies.Roger
zeropoint0.5

Re: SQ Subs

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The Morel Ultimo subs would be my first choice for pure SQ.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:http://intl.jlaudio.com/10w6v3-d4-car-a ... vers-92140

http://intl.jlaudio.com/10w7ae-3-car-au ... vers-92114

here are already two very good choices.....in 10 inch......

The W7's are kinda boomy in the sq department, but have ran them before and sound great 8) . You can also give the Image Dynamics IDQ for pure sq or the IDMAX for sq and power handleing.

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.net/subwoofers.html
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
iroller

Post by iroller »

those morels are spendy
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 is a great SQ subwoofer. Everything about their design is SQ oriented, and they still have plenty of output which satisfies the bass heads out there.

Boston Acoustics Pro 10.5 is a great choice, but they are pretty rare to find for sale. I use one in my current vehicle and really like it.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
todd217

Post by todd217 »

another one that hard to find but is nice soundstream ss10r
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

SQ subs to me = ID. Not the most beautifull baskets but they are powder coated.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

iroller wrote:those morels are spendy
You can get the Ultimo SC's for about $380. Everything I have read, they sound just as good as their big brothers, they just take less power.

Image Dynamics make great SQ subs too, but I utterly hate the look of their logo on the cones. Superficial, I know, but I can't get passed it.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I did avi sls subs this year. Made in canada works in small sealed box. Super great imo. Mine were 12" and only about 120shipped. My wife will have them also
Last edited by kg1961 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
iroller

Post by iroller »

there are some 12s that sound great but i;ve been tolt a 10 is the perfect size for SQ,not to big and not to small, start with one 10 to see if its enough if not you can always add another ?? does that sound right to most ?
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

iroller wrote:there are some 12s that sound great but i;ve been tolt a 10 is the perfect size for SQ,not to big and not to small, start with one 10 to see if its enough if not you can always add another ?? does that sound right to most ?

there you go wrong....."i've been told."..... no, you have to listen to different subs/sizes/combinations and choose what's you're personal favourite......

everybody has his own preferences.......
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

Rainbow Vanadium, Focal Utopia, Dynaudio maybe?
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

PhuckinGood wrote:Focal Utopia,
If he thinks Morel Ultimos are spendy, those would be on a level that only Lebron James and ARod could afford.

That being said, if you are going for a pure SQ system, why wouldn't you pay $1500 for a pair of 10's? You'll pay $400 or more for a set of audiophile door speakers. More than that if you are going 3 way. For a pure SQ system, the Morel Ultimos are kind of a steal.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

iroller wrote:there are some 12s that sound great but i;ve been tolt a 10 is the perfect size for SQ,not to big and not to small, start with one 10 to see if its enough if not you can always add another ?? does that sound right to most ?
I once heard an 18 which would beat most other subs for SQ. The box design and the vehicle have just as much (if not more) to play in the SQ of a sub than its cone size does.

There are lots of 12s which sound better than the same model 10 does, just as there are lots of 8s which sound better than the same model 12 does.

Keep in mind you need to move air to make bass, so a large cone sub has to move less to produce the same output as a smaller cone sub does. Less cone movement means less distortion.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

They say that the DD Z series 18" is one of the best sounding SQ subwoofers out there, in addition to being SPL monsters. Kind of supports what Eric is saying, but I have never heard one.

As much as they cost though, it had better get loud, sound great doing it, and project rainbows from the ports.
dako

Post by dako »

I'd second the JL w6v3 subs. I just installed two of the 12" version sealed, and they have been exceeding my wildest expectations daily. Before those, the PG RSDc subs were doing it for me in the SQ department. The JL subs are a pretty penny, but I'm glad I took the plunge.
2007 Scion Tc
Kenwood DDX9907XR
JL Audio TwK88
JL Audio HD900/5
Morel Virtus 602
IDQ12 V.4 D2 Sealed
iroller

Post by iroller »

I want to thank you guys for your help even tho some think I don't want to spend enough money. I live in Minnesota there aren't any shows to go look at and listen, I don't no one person that has anything but a factory radio, the only systems around are the guys that are trying to break there windows and go deaf, that's not music and enjoyment I'm looking for. Thanks again
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Fi Q series is supposed to be good too, and doesn't bust the bank. http://store.ficaraudio.com/q-series/
iroller

Post by iroller »

Kirghiz says he's heard that the morel sc's sound as good as the ultimo's has anyone heard both ? I don't want to save a few dollars and not do my system justice. I saw the ultimo's on ebay for 989 would be over two grand for them, starting to be more than I wanted to spend,but maybe if there what I need. The question would be two 10's two 12's one 15 ? I just need to guess thru you guys because I've never had the chance to listen to good systems to compare. I probably will need to go by size of box needed I have a large trunk but a syclone takes up 2.5 cf on it's own, and the FAS is big in it's own right.
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

Id second the notion to go 12". And I have ran a 18" cerwin stroker (dual spider) and was amazed with the tightness and accuracy so size would not be most important to me. More so volume of box.

My ideal is fitment and optimum output. I run 12" Boston acoustic 12.5 pro. Fantastic sub. And I'm moving to the spg555 Boston. 13" slightly oval sub. 1 cubic ft sealed enclosure. 1000wrms. Monster of a sub design. Suppose to sound very good. Time will tell. Plenty of these subs available too.

Enclosure and fitment will count for a lot as normal.

Me 3 cents
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

iroller wrote: the only systems around are the guys that are trying to break there windows and go deaf, that's not music and enjoyment I'm looking for.

Don't think that is only in Minnesota...... probably a worldwide problem with what i call the "mp3" generation.......

for those people only thing that counts is the "look" of the install 'aaghhhh that fiberglass is shining :clap: :clap: '

and the decibels to let there roof and windows go up and down......Sometimes i get sick of it :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

better to invest in a good sounding sub you can enjoy for years and years to come.....

and about the money....... you can Always find good secondhand stuff if you can't afford new produkts.......
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

You can get the Ultimos from woofersetc for about $750 shipped. That ebay listing is high as hell. That said, you can go to DIYMA.com's forum and find a bunch of good user reviews from people that have a little sense on most all of the subs mentioned in this thread. There are at least two or three good threads about both Morel lines, and a ton of threads about Image Dynamics' IDQ subs. There are even comparison threads. (One guy did a comparison of an Ultimo, JL W7, and a Ti Elite. He chose the Ultimo.)

While it's harder to hear good subs in the MP3 generation, it's easier to gather information and acquire the subs you want, so it goes both ways. Used to be you were limited to the gear you could readily get your hands on locally.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

this is a great sub
IMO i don't know the seller but the price is not to bad
http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22971
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Eric D wrote:Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 is a great SQ subwoofer. Everything about their design is SQ oriented, and they still have plenty of output which satisfies the bass heads out there.

Boston Acoustics Pro 10.5 is a great choice, but they are pretty rare to find for sale. I use one in my current vehicle and really like it.
Boston Pro 10.5 LF would also be my choice as well. Hard to beat in the SQ department. Hard to find but not impossible