Not sure that it sounds quite right...advice would be good

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
capitolj80

Not sure that it sounds quite right...advice would be good

Post by capitolj80 »

So, I've replaced the Monsoon head unit in my '05 Santa Fe with my trusty ol' aftermarket. Had trouble at first cuz I didn't even realize there was an external amp and shit wasn't working. Fixed that by adding a remote lead to the factory amp into the wiring harness. So then I put my Hertz comps in the doors and hooked em up to their own amp. And ya know what, I am having a hard time to get them to sound right. I've never put a system in a vehicle with a factory amp before so I'm not sure what might be going on. The speaker wires go from the amp to the wiring harness, so the signal is traveling through the factory amp to get to the speakers. Is the factory amp doing something to the signal? Also, the factory speakers were a three piece set: tweeters by the window and two piece, 6in woofer/2in "full range" set up in the door. These two speakers each had their own leads. The woofer only plays bass and the other is more of a full ranger i guess. The only thing I could really do was put the lead for the 2 incher onto my x-over input. i tried connecting them both to it and that didnt go very well. Anyways, these doors have better sound deadening than my sonata did and i swear it sounded better in that car. Im having to pull out like EVERYTHING in the 500-2000hz range or it sounds scratchy or tinny. i've also played around with polarity to no avail...any thoughts?
what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Not sure that it sounds quite right...advice would be go

Post by ttocs »

confused - you say you put a deck in first, then you say you hooked up some hertz speakers to their own amp. by "own amp" do you mean the factory amp or did you hook them up to an aftermarket amp?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

The door speakers are running off of an aftermarket amp. But the factory amp is "between" the aftermarket amp and the speakers. Should I try to run my speaker wire directly from the amp to the speakers and bypass the wiring harness (and thus the factory amp also)? I considered doing that to start with, but it looked like it would be a real bitch getting the wires into the doors.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Yes, bypass the factory amp.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

Oh boy, I guess have my work cut out for me! I shoulda just done it to begin with but I ddnt really know that I needed to :oops:
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

capitolj80 wrote:Oh boy, I guess have my work cut out for me! I shoulda just done it to begin with but I ddnt really know that I needed to :oops:
Pull the speakers out and follow the wires that are there now. Once you see how those wires are run you'll see how you need to run your new wire in.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

lol, yeah, getting them through that long grommet into the door is gonna be fun :shock: thanks dude :o
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

update...so I ended up cutting the speaker out leads away from the factory amp and instead connecting them to the leads from the VIBE amp. it was easy cuz the factory amp is right under the passenger seat. BIG DIFFERENCE. That factory amp was really fuckin up the sound.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Good to hear. Pun intended.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Im really confused...so you used RCA outs from your aftermarket deck to go into a lanzar amp, then you took the speaker outputs and connected it to the speaker wire by the back of the deck? thats acceptable if you just took the wires going into the factory amp, cut them, and then cut the output and connected them.

glad it worked out.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

capitolj80 wrote:update...so I ended up cutting the speaker out leads away from the factory amp and instead connecting them to the leads from the VIBE amp. it was easy cuz the factory amp is right under the passenger seat. BIG DIFFERENCE. That factory amp was really fuckin up the sound.
LOL I guess that was an easier way to do it. Glad it worked out for you.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

it's not a lanzar vibe, it's a VIBE Audio. I dont have the VIBE amp output leads going to the back of the HU, they are connected to the wires leading to the speakers that i cut away from the factory amp's outputs. thnx guys :)
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

capitolj80 wrote:it's not a lanzar vibe, it's a VIBE Audio. I dont have the VIBE amp output leads going to the back of the HU, they are connected to the wires leading to the speakers that i cut away from the factory amp's outputs. thnx guys :)
Vibe Audio is good stuff. Not real big in the states though.
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

Yep, it's quality equipment. I've got the BlackBox Bass 5 class GH 1500.1 for my subs, too :)