cyclone info

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
iroller

cyclone info

Post by iroller »

Does the cyclone work with another sub or is it suppose to be the complete package and be the sub?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: cyclone info

Post by ttocs »

it is only supposed to play from 50 hz down.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

What you can do is couple it with a sealed 10" sub from 50 hz to around 100 hz.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

only system I ever got to match it with was with a single id 10. Played the lows SUPER loud and still had the punch on the top as well.
iroller

Post by iroller »

would a sealed 16 focal work ? they didn't get mentioned much in the SQ talks. those red magnets are calling to me, was wondering if it would blend ?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I'm sure, but I would think that would be overkill.

The Focal sub is going to get down pretty low in it's own right. If you are going to invest 3.5 Cubic feet into a Cyclone, the only real benefit you'll see from it would be reducing the enclosure size of the secondary driver. Let's say you paired it with a sealed 10" sub in about a 0.6cu enclosure. You'll have about 4.0cu. dedicated to a sub system. That Focal by itself will get just as loud, sound just as good, do it on the same power, and probably need less of an enclosure.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

as he said don't forget the cyclone needs 3-3.5 cu ft of space for a box and ideally the cyclone/woofer should not be playing the same freqs to reduce cancellations issues. Don't pick your subs out by what they look like because no matter what brand they are, next to the clone they will not draw much attention.....
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

you might need to look at this and maybe talk with joerg
he installed 2 cyclone and had a 18"kx focal if they were not going to work or work with it. with the ti 9' he is super happy
http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=75
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the Ti9s are almost meant to go there with the recommended band-pass range of 50-150. Also require NO space.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

kg1961 wrote:you might need to look at this and maybe talk with joerg
he installed 2 cyclone and had a 18"kx focal if they were not going to work or work with it. with the ti 9' he is super happy
http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=75
Same idea, but there was a '65 Mustang in last year's builder's challenge that had a pair of Cyclones paired with two shallow 10's, one under each front seat.

You need some kind of driver to bridge that gap, but you don't need anything substantial. As great as the Cyclones are, they don't get that loud. You're looking at 133-135 db tops from a pair of them, but really probably closer to 130db. It doesn't take much of a driver to blend 50-100 hz frequencies at that sound level. With a single Cyclone you could probably get away some beefy 6.5's or a pair 8's.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I never had a meter in the one I installed but with a small amp it was in the high 130s imo. Enough to blur your vision with the right note.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Yeah, I don't dispute that it moves the hell out of some air, will rattle fillings out of your head, and ultimately make your vehicle fall apart from years of satisfied enjoyment. :lol:

On that same token though, I have seen vehicles with a pair of 15's meter below vehicles with a pair of 10's, even though the vehicle with the 15's felt and sounded like it was louder to the ear. Sometimes the results on the meter differ from the human perception. Being loud to the ear and feeling loud are different things. It's well documented that a single Cyclone in the ballpark of it's rated power (300 rms) will only get into the mid to high 120's, with cabin gain of course being a significant variable. I would stress emphatically though that this mid to high 120's is all the way down to 20hz, and 125db's at 20hz will steal your breath, make your heart skip beats, and have all sorts of cool effects that you can't really get from another sub. Most subs, even high power subs in low tuned vented boxes, are not going to reproduce 20hz with that kind of authority.

The Cyclone is a lot of cool things, but loud in terms of decibels it is not. You aren't going to put 8 of them in the back of an SUV and win an SPL competition like you could with 8 15's or something. But, with 8 of them in the back of an SUV you would scare the hell out of the poor bastard in your passenger seat, and do it with 2500 watts or less, which you wouldn't do with the 15's on that power.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

I´m only running the two Cyclones in my car. Low pass is set at 60Hz. I´m soooooo happy with them that the Focal 46KX4 went into the shelf in the basement again.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
imghetto

Post by imghetto »

U could also try an Eclipse 12". I had the 88120 dual voice coil Aluminium cone in a 1.2 cu ft sealed enclosure and it played flat down to 65 hz the cyclone then took over from there.
I'm still looking to buy 2x cyclones for my next build :) ....sorry to jack yr thread :doh:
Alpine 7519
Alpine EREG145
Alpine CHAs624

FRX456
DEQ230
PSC221

Boston Pro 6.4 2 way
PPI A600

Bottom End
Eclipse 88120 dvc x2 (45hz-70hz)
PPI A1200
2x Cyclones (up to 50hz 24db slope)
PPI A600
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

So I now have this new obsession of fixing the PG Cyclones. If there is anyone out there wanting to sell one message me. [email protected]
mtnman423

Post by mtnman423 »

Here is a copy of an email that I just got from the new owner of PG. hope it helps out.
Attachments
image.jpg