Rsd65cs Crossover Planning Help

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dwnrodeo

Re: Rsd65cs Crossover Planning Help

Post by dwnrodeo »

Plug the interconnects into the headunit and test again. By not plugging the interconnects into the headunit, it is not grounding the interconnect and could introduce noise that way. (Imagine your interconnects as an antenna.)
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Thanks man, will try tonight.
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

cross overs can pick up noise. If it continues try moving it and see what happens.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

dwnrodeo wrote:Plug the interconnects into the headunit and test again. By not plugging the interconnects into the headunit, it is not grounding the interconnect and could introduce noise that way. (Imagine your interconnects as an antenna.)
Everything worked out, no noise! Can't wait to get the amp gain set properly tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Phoenixcolt wrote:
dwnrodeo wrote:Plug the interconnects into the headunit and test again. By not plugging the interconnects into the headunit, it is not grounding the interconnect and could introduce noise that way. (Imagine your interconnects as an antenna.)
Everything worked out, no noise! Can't wait to get the amp gain set properly tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.
Glad it worked out, noise problems can be a huge PITA. It took me over a year and several hundred dollars to diagnose mine.

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yeah thank goodness I didn't run into a big issue like that.

I set the amp gain today, these speakers sound sick, no vibrating in the doors at all either. Last time I used them was about 6 years ago and I didn't do the doors as throughly as I did these so I am quite pleasantly surprised :mrgreen: .

Dynamat+Ensolite IOU worked wonders. Now I have to get the rear deck deadened and I should be set.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

How do you guys like to run your amp crossovers? I know it's a lot of preference, just wondering if I should change them a little.

Right now since I wanted to test the midrange and midbass out on the components, I highpassed them at 50 Hz and the signal is being fed into the Rsd crossovers.
The mids sound awesome when I turn the sub off and have as much midbass as all of the reviews out there say they do.

When I turn the sub back on though, I feel like I have lost some sub bass, probably because the component signal and bass signal are now cancelling each other out since I have my sub low passed at 80 Hz and my components high passed at 50 Hz...and my amped components are actually audible compared with stock speakers being powered by a headunit.

Would you guys keep the signals completely independent of each other?
Maybe LP the sub at 60-80 and then HP the highs at the same point?
Or do you prefer a blend with the sub just rounding out the sound?

I love being back in it, it has been too long since I had a nice setup in a car!

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Try swapping the phase of your sub.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

stipud wrote:Try swapping the phase of your sub.
I tried that, but it didn't improve.

Maybe the sub bass was never very loud but the stock front and rear speakers were making me think the sub was louder : ).

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Phoenixcolt wrote:
stipud wrote:Try swapping the phase of your sub.
I tried that, but it didn't improve.

Maybe the sub bass was never very loud but the stock front and rear speakers were making me think the sub was louder : ).
If you have the ability to change the crossover slope on the subwoofer, try that as well. I like to try several different crossover slopes with my subwoofer and each slope I try normal or reverse phase to see what sounds best to me. One of your mids could also be out of phase with the other mid and the subwoofer. This would cause some loss of midbass but would not improve if you reversed the phase of the subwoofer only. I've noticed this when I've reversed the subwoofer phase and my midbass sounds stronger on different sides.

Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Thanks guys, I may have jumped the gun on this post.

Listening a bit closer after work yesterday there is still plenty of sub, it's just that now that I have the front speakers amped, I don't need to turn the stereo up as loud as before so the punch is a little less out of the sub, but gd does it blend smoothly.

I had plans to finish my box for the Ti12D Elite and throw it in the trunk but the Rsdc102 blends so beautifully, I will probably have some hesitiation...but I'm still gonna need to try it out for a bit since I have it :twisted: .

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Took a look at my sub amp gain today and reset it at a more appropriate headunit volume level since the amped front stage is so much louder than the headunit outputs were. Turns out I have more sub bass at my disposal than I know what to do with and can now cut the lower frequencies instead of trying to find bass with my sound tuning especially in older music recordings. Good stuff!

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Good to hear.

Is this the gear that we all donated, years ago, after you were broken into?
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yes some of it, that will never be forgotten, still have the note and everything : ). The components and passive crossovers are from that amazing gesture.

The RSD500.4 and RSD12 are still in my closet, I needed to go as compact as possible in my Subie since I didn't want to modify the trunk floor or take out the spare, and the 500 is too long to put on the back of my seats...but I been trying to convince my wife to let me put them into her car! She's 90% I think, haha.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Dooo it :D
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Hey Guys,

I am getting a bit of Rsd tweeter noise while accelerating, it's definitely because the 1/0 power wire is closer than it should be to the 6 channel RCAs which I should have worked harder to avoid but unfortunately I didn't.

If I add a line driver to my 4 channel amp signal path, would it do anything to help with the tweeter noise I am hearing?

It's kind of a high pitched whistle.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

if its only through the tweeters I would question if its the rca's. Easy enough to test by running a temp pair. You can also pick up noise in cross overs....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yeah earlier in this thread you guys told me to be careful with the crossovers, but they are pretty far away from everything else, although the passenger side speaker wire that runs to the crossover input crosses paths with the power wire. Could the speaker wire catch some noise from the power wire and be putting it through to the components?

If yes, I may need to rerun the speaker wire eventually from the passenger side to the drivers side, and back to the crossovers...but that is a project for another spring : ).

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Phoenixcolt wrote:Hey Guys,

I am getting a bit of Rsd tweeter noise while accelerating, it's definitely because the 1/0 power wire is closer than it should be to the 6 channel RCAs which I should have worked harder to avoid but unfortunately I didn't.

If I add a line driver to my 4 channel amp signal path, would it do anything to help with the tweeter noise I am hearing?

It's kind of a high pitched whistle.
It won't help much to add a line driver. Re-work your RCA's and power wires to opposite sides of the vehicle. This is the best but not the easiest solution.