front stage question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
CK1991

front stage question

Post by CK1991 »

Hey guys. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for my front stage (passive/ active, 2/3 way etc) and was wondering if I could get some advice/ opinions. I would not be opposed to buying some new (used) speakers, but I don't have a ton of cash to spend right now, so I'd prefer to use what I have if possible.
For component speakers, I have:
RF punch audiophile 6.5 woofers which have a frequency response of 39hz-6khz.
pioneer 5.25" woofers (TS-C1301 IIRC....theyre from the early 90s) that have a frequency response of 55hz-? (havent been able to find published specs on the top end of them since they were only sold in a set with a crossover and tweeter, which I don't have). these would be easier to use in the kicks (smaller, take up less foot room). Even though this is in my old brougham, I am 6ft 2 and have long legs, so leg space is important.
JBL GTO 17t titanium tweeters that go from 2.5-21khz.
for 2/3 way:
2 way would be easier to run since I could keep the speakers contained in the kicks (would not be opposed to cutting into my doors, but if I don't have to, i won't. Sealing my doors would be a PITA).
I've heard some people say 3 way setups sound better, but opinions are like assholes....everyone has one. I'm sure there are examples of both 2 and 3 ways that sound great and less than great.
as for passive vs. active: active obviously gives me more tunability. I do not have any passive crossovers, and the MTX 2 way active crossover I have only lets you set the low pass/ high pass at 200hz as the highest crossover frequency, which would not work for my front stage. So pretty much either way, I would need to buy a crossover.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
Kirghiz

Re: front stage question

Post by Kirghiz »

Where and what is the factory front speaker hole? I assume it's an oval of some sort in the dash.

Not sure how much leg room you actually have, but I assume you have quite a bit. I am 6'4", where a size 14 shoe, and have 6.5's in the kicks of my Silverado. It took a week or so to get used to them being there, but now I don't even notice them or get my feet into them. They don't bother me at all.

If you did the 6.5's in the kicks, and had say a 5x7 factory opening in the dash, or even a 4x6, you could probably make a baffle for the 5.25's and the tweets up there without messing with the doors.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

The dash has provisions for 4x6 shallow mount ovals. The wiper switch is in the way of installing a larger than factory speaker on the drivers side (I've tried larger magnet 4x6 ovals and infinity reference 4x6 plates I had lying around). I can install a 6.5 in the kick, but it would be off of the kick (in a custom fiberglass pod), as the e-brake pedal is in the way of mounting the RF woofer (being fairly deep and having a large magnet) against/ partially sunk in the kick
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

What's the depth of the 5.25's you have versus the depth of the 4x6 hole in the dash? What about making a pod that has the driver and tweeter sitting at about 45 degrees, aimed at the center of the vehicle, and only partially sunk into that factory hole? You would only be sinking roughly the bottom half of the 5.25's magnet that way. Kind of make the back of the enclosure run parallel with the windshield, with a triangular shape overall when looking at it from the side.

For that matter you could do them in the A pillars.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

the 5.25s wont fit in the dash. the magnet hole isnt big enough (it is literally the same size as the tiny factory magnet). I also am not cutting up my dash top to mount speakers (finding a mint dash top for a rwd caddy is hard, much less one in the correct color). My A pillars are barely thick enough to mount 1" tweeters on, much less flush mount them (the A pillar cover sits right on the metal of the A pillar).
If I did 2 ways with the RFs, I would have to put them approx here (else there would not be room to make an enclosure because the magnet would be hitting the e brake pedal arm).
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

That's all the ideas I've got. LOL
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

if you want to sell those RF's, let me know cuz i want em. they match all my old school RF gear I have now.
thx. I have some PG items to trade if you want....
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.