Fi Car Audio

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Kirghiz

Fi Car Audio

Post by Kirghiz »

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the brand? I hear good things about their subs, but I believe them to be biased sources. The boomers love the SP and BL lines, but I am looking at their Q series which is designed for SQ (admittedly most SQ subs can't take 1500 rms and have a 27mm xmax either, so I'm skeptical). Looking at the specs on their Q series 10's I read that they can run ported in less than 1 cubic. That is what is intriguing to me.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Treesive

Re: Fi Car Audio

Post by Treesive »

Fi was started by several of the people formerly of re audio back when they made some of the best subs. They are quality subs but I do not consider any of them high sq from what say the original xxx was capable of. The q however is the best of them and can be customized to work best in certain enclosures. I believe the earlier versions of the q were the most sq oriented. They seemed to taper them more toward sql now I guess you could say.
SYSTEM:

Pioneer 80PRS
Us Amps 4300x (Upgrading to Elite.1) On its way!!
Us Amps 400x (Upgrading to Elite.4)
2X Soundsplinter rl-p 12" (Upgrading to Audiopulse lms Ultra 15)
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Cool, thanks for that.

SQ perfection isn't really what I am going for so much as an SQL type of sub, and I think the Q's can probably do that. I have 4 Ti2 10's sealed in about 2.5 cu. running off an Elite.1 now, but I blew one of the subs the other day and I'm weighing options as to whether to just replace the blown driver or go in another direction entirely. I'd have to model up some boxes, but I think I could get a pair of Fi Q 10's ported in that space, gain some SPL output over what I have now, and end up with a sub system that is much more rugged in terms of sub failure at the same time.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

If you are looking for SQL check out the idmax.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

todd217 wrote:If you are looking for SQL check out the idmax.
Enclosure requirements are too big for a pair, and I would need 3 of them to handle the Elite.1's power. There's a number of reasons they won't work unfortunately.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

Have you looked into tc sounds axis small box high power handling and SQL.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

todd217 wrote:Have you looked into tc sounds axis small box high power handling and SQL.
They don't make a 10. I could probably fit a single 12", but my amp would eat it for lunch at 2 ohm, and I'm not really into the idea of running an Elite.1 at 4 ohm. I could fit four of the Epic 10's sealed, but they would be greatly overpowered, and I tend to think the Phoenix Gold subs I have now would make more output in any case. There aren't a lot of options to be honest.
Treesive

Post by Treesive »

Kirghiz wrote:
todd217 wrote:Have you looked into tc sounds axis small box high power handling and SQL.
They don't make a 10. I could probably fit a single 12", but my amp would eat it for lunch at 2 ohm, and I'm not really into the idea of running an Elite.1 at 4 ohm. I could fit four of the Epic 10's sealed, but they would be greatly overpowered, and I tend to think the Phoenix Gold subs I have now would make more output in any case. There aren't a lot of options to be honest.
The axis is one of the subs I would look at extensively. Power wise tc rates their subs extremely conservatively but anyways I would like to know how much room you have to work with net? The axis subs work very well in small sealed boxes so I am a bit surprised that two 12's wouldn't fit but 4 10s would. Another option might be done audiomobile elite 2212's or 10's if you can find a dealer. Wish they would finally get a move on their other subs but they have been extremely disappointing in their information and delays. The evo-rs and mass hd's should be legit old school tc sounds type contenders in the world of high output sq.
SYSTEM:

Pioneer 80PRS
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I feel like I'm being trolled, but okay.......

Below is my current box which goes under the back seat of a crew cab truck. There is a little under 2.5 cubic feet in there. Note the monolithic size of the two Elite amps (Elite.1 and Elite.4) that are also mounted under there. The Ti2 subs are six inches deep, and then there is about a half inch or so between the back of the motors and the front of the amp rack. The sub chamber extends below the amp rack, but the amp rack poses a depth issue in terms of mounting the subs. As it's aligned now, any sub deeper than 6" won't work. You can clearly see that anything larger than a 10" sub will not fire forward and would have to fire up, which would involve relocating the amps, and you won't get more than one 12" or larger sub in there. The box is only 17" from front to back, and the amps are 10.3" wide (and 23" long, not counting space on the ends for wire if you care). Further, you only really have about 7" of usable depth to mount an up firing sub because of how fast it slopes down toward the back due to the pitch of the seat, and that doesn't even account for sub excursion. No single sub I have found can take 3000 watts rms and meet those depth requirements. The best option is to put the amps both on one side and stack them on top of each other. If I did that I could put a pair of 10's on one side without a depth issue, and I would have enough space (and length) in front of the amp rack for a port.

The trick would be finding a 10" sub that can work in 1.0-1.1 ported including displacement, make sure the port doesn't eat up more than about 0.2-0.3 or so, and make sure relocating the amps doesn't take up any more airspace than it already does. Oh yeah, and that sub amp makes a solid 2800 watts rms at 2 ohm (probably more with my electrical system tbh), so this pair of tens would have to eat some power. The Fi Q10 seems to meet those requirements, hence the thread.
DSC_0211.jpg
DSC_0213.jpg
Treesive

Post by Treesive »

I see the problems you are coming up with. What worries me is based on the specs of the sub it will work in as low as .5cuft for ported net but that isn't including the port space which to get to the tuning they call out in that small of box is going to be large. I just don't see the space for two of them ported in there without tuning ungodly high and ruining bottom end response. The q from where I sit isn't going to work as well as any other dual ported setup I can think of unless maybe 8's but then desired output to be more than 4 10's is gonna be real hard. If you could get your hands on some stereo integrity bmkiii's then you could get 4 12's in that space and increase your output but then they are extremely hard to come by and would only want around 2000 ponies. You might just have to much amp for your space requirements to increase much from where you currently are. Maybe look into 4 ascendant audio chaos 10's sealed. You should increase your output and they are known to be able to take a beating. Great daily driver subs and they are built by fi btw.
SYSTEM:

Pioneer 80PRS
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

My theory for the Q10 box is to stack the two amps on top of each other on the front side of the box, and putting the two tens on the front of the other side. I could then theoretically run a slot port down the back of the box and port it out the side. There's 52" of length to work with there, so I think it could work, but it'd be damn close.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

I have played with a few of the Ascendant subs, I was an importer and dealt with Scott when he was at RE Audio. I really liked the sound out of his subs, huge bottom end and would keep up with anything. Not drony like so many subs are. When I first signed with Ascendant and Fi I was told the Fi was the more exclusive line with a few differences from the Ascendant which was for the bricks and mortar dealers. I'm sure there's more differences between the lines now, but either way they are both very nice and certainly I don't think you would be disappointed
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

After messing around with box numbers a bit, I think Treesive is right, and a pair ported won't work. Might just go with 4 Fi SSD 10's sealed in basically the box I have.
Thumper88

Post by Thumper88 »

Tiffany Lamy wrote:Yeah dude i have experience of the car Audi i am very happy and know that what is the special in Audi cars specially amp is best as compare to the others specially its gear is very soft and reliable for the drivers...
Tiffany must really love Audi...
ROBSCUSTOMSAPK

Post by ROBSCUSTOMSAPK »

4-10" incriminator audio lethal injections sealed. Btw, I clamped ~3500wrms from my elite.1 @ 12v rising to 2ohms.
JVC usb/cd h/u
PG ti eq6
4x PG ti6cs
2x Eminence alpha 12"
2x Incriminator Audio 18" Judges
2x Incriminator Audio 3.4
2x Incriminator Audio 40.1

AUTHORIZED PHOENIX GOLD DEALER.