Elite .5 problem

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dbjury

Elite .5 problem

Post by dbjury »

Hey

I thought I was enjoying my .5 amplifier but have just found it is hissing out of one of the channels without any rcas connected. At first I thought might be my head unit but alas no :(.

All other channels seem quiet.

I also am experiencing alternator wine but only with rcas so pretty much head unit fault on that one although didn't experience it this bad with my zx amp setup.

I'm freakin out a bit as it's not like the old amps with a few components and I'm in NZ with no backup.

Any thoughts out their what I could do
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
Kirghiz

Re: Elite .5 problem

Post by Kirghiz »

Try re-grounding it.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

Mainly on the single channel hiss. I'm not worried about wine at moment. I can sort that. Cheers
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

This is a pretty comprehensive sequence to narrow down the possibilities when troubleshooting noise issues. I hope your amp is okay.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/TechS ... ps_101.pdf
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

Cheers for info.

Let's put it this way. I have a channel that's outputting a hiss and you can hear a squarky type sound. This is a single channel off the front section.

Is not related to rcas, is not related to speaker. Hook a different speaker to that channel and you get the problem.

Basically the amps faulty.

I run a 3-way system and have moved the mids to that set of channels and don't notice it like I did when they were running the highs. So I've minimized it and probably have to live with it as is. I can't really hear it from drivers position now. And most people wouldn't notice it.

It's a shame though cause I'm suppose to have one of the best amps on the market. And all my nearly 20 year old amps are shaming it.
BMW 2006 530D E60
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

I know it isn't the easiest thing for you, but I would send it in for warranty repair.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
rialtoss

Post by rialtoss »

I have the same amp, no problems, try regrounding!!
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

maybe this is why i now have seen a bunch of refurbished elite amps? not just saying the .5
very odd
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

kg1961 wrote:maybe this is why i now have seen a bunch of refurbished elite amps? not just saying the .5
very odd
I tend to think if there was a problem with the amps it would have hit more than a few people on this forum, or it would have brought some posters out of the woodwork to post on this board. As many people on this forum that run Elites, I find it hard to believe that dbjury would be the first to have an issue if it wasn't an isolated thing.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

there alot that have them not alot being used. i got one refurbished and i seen a couple other post with differnt models

i would say there about 10-15 amp being used right now
alot of the set up are being made so they have not been used yet
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

Hey

For now the amps very usable and swapping the problem channel to the mids you wouldn't know there is any problem.

Very possible it's just mine. Very possible also that someone else wouldn't notice the problem. I'm talking about turned on with no music and you can here noise out of one channel.

I'm keen to take the plexiglass off to check inside but prob won't find anything.

Which next question is. How do you remove the plexi?
BMW 2006 530D E60