Question on PG Xenon 1200.1 Amp

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
jcoard13

Question on PG Xenon 1200.1 Amp

Post by jcoard13 »

I just picked up a Xenon 1200.1 and am experimenting with how to wire it up. Specs claim that it outputs 1200w RMS at 1-4 ohms. Right now I got 2 DVC 4 ohm subs wired down to one ohm load on the amp. Was thinking tho, that if the amps internal regulator supplied 1200w whether it was at 1 or 4 ohms, wouldn't I be better off wiring subs up in series/parallel for a 4 ohm load on the amp, as it would be much less of a load on my cars electrical? It was just explained to me that the lower the resistance you have an amp wired to, the more current it requires from the cars electrical. and my headlights dim a bit right now at night, even with second batt in trunk and big three. Was just wondering if it would be less strain on the car wired at 4 ohms as opposed to one ohm, which is what i got it wired at now... Also, does higher resistance mean the amp will run hotter, or cooler? Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, I tried searching the forum for as much info as i could before posting, but it looks like the Xenon FAQ link that everyone mentions in their posts is no longer good. I guess the thread got deleted??? If anyone has more info on this amp, other than just the owners manual, Id like to get it from ya. Thanks

Justin
trickyricky

Re: Question on PG Xenon 1200.1 Amp

Post by trickyricky »

I would wire it to have a final load of 4-ohm so the amplifier runs in "high voltage" mode. Either way it will use the same amount of current to produce 1200watt at either load. The amplifier will switch voltage once it senses a specific amount of current through the outputs.

See it this way:

1ohm load = less output voltage, but more current (34vAC, more current is transferred through the subwoofer since the woofer has less resistance)
4ohm load = higher output voltage, less current (69vAC , less current is transferred through the subwoofer since woofer has higher resistance)

The amplifier is design to be able to handle both loads and be able to produce 1200watts so it doesn't matter how you wire it, but many (including myself) would rather go with 4-ohms especially if your not loosing any power.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

go 4 ohm
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

there is no reason not to go to 4ohm...and no reason to stay at 1 lol
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

4x4 :lol:
jcoard13

Post by jcoard13 »

Re-wired today to 4 ohms. Experiment was a fail. It's weird. Not trying to knock anyone's knowledge on here by any means, but bass dropped off substantially. And I even attempted re-tuning when bass was weak. Then had a friend come over and check as well. Ended up going back to one ohm and she's hitting much harder than at 4. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe just an issue with my amp. Who knows???
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

While theory is good. Reality shits on it time and time again.

And the theory may be lacking some data?
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Did you adjust the gain? Once you switch you have to adjust the gain (in order to make sure your getting the proper output voltage.. 69v in this case). Now if the amplifier failed to switched over (which is stated to do so after every restart, until it notice the current and switches to high current) then your getting the low voltage which with a higher resistance such as 4ohms would cause a big difference in power output.

No harm in running it 1ohm, after all it was design to be able to handle it. Just curious as why it didn't perform just as well at 4ohms????
jcoard13

Post by jcoard13 »

Yes. I readjusted gain. Had it as high as 75v just trying to get the bass to be more responsive. And yes, I restarted it quite a few times to make sure it reset. Not sure what the issue is. But oh we'll, like u said, it's designed to run at 1 ohm so I'm not hurting anything. Was just trying to give my electrical a little bit of a break...
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

I'd run it at 4 ohms and readjust your gains. Xenons should make MORE power into 4 ohms than at 1 ohm. http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

Even if it makes same power at 1ohm & 4ohm there may be quite a noticeable difference in ouput. This may be actually just a sound quality issue. At 1 ohm the damping factor is just a quarter compared to 4ohm and the amp won't control the subs as well. This causes more boomy and muddy bass which can sound louder. At 4 ohm the bass should be more dry and controlled.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3