amp recommendations

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Spinkton

amp recommendations

Post by Spinkton »

Hi guys im new to this site and have gotten the phoenix gold fever as of lately. Way back I had a few ms275 running my systems and ive been thinking of doing another install in my truck and bam. Phoenix gold fever.

so I have a dodge megacab. I want to do 4 10inch subs in the back. I think its going to be 4 soundstream ss10r and then even tho I havent decided on what speakers yet ill need 2 in the rear doors andd 2 in the front doors and a few on the top dash boards the dash ones are small like 2-3 inches. I do want good speakers tho

with all that said what amps u guys recommend for the build. All ideas welcome even for speaker selections and subs

thx for reading!!
Kirghiz

Re: amp recommendations

Post by Kirghiz »

I have four tens under the back seat of a Silverado Crew Cab, and run them with an Elite.1 and an Elite.4 on the doors. There is a thread in the installs forum if you are looking for ideas.

That being said, if space becomes an issue for you like it has for me, a pair of Ti2800.1's or Ti21300.1's to drive your subs and a Ti2800.4 to drive you mids will occupy much less space than the Elites. In my case I wanted Elite amps everything else be damned because they are amazing amps, and I built around them. Going with ti2 amps would have made my life a lot easier.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Spinkton

Post by Spinkton »

wow those elites are big and badass! that may be a option for me, but im thinking of powering everything oldschool style! i wonder how say a ms2250 would be on a set of 4 10's and compair to say the elite sub you mentioned? but yeah im definately thinging of powering everyhting oldschool style hence using the ss10r subs
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Spinkton wrote:wow those elites are big and badass! that may be a option for me, but im thinking of powering everything oldschool style! i wonder how say a ms2250 would be on a set of 4 10's and compair to say the elite sub you mentioned? but yeah im definately thinging of powering everyhting oldschool style hence using the ss10r subs
they are smaller than 3-4 ms2250
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Spinkton

Post by Spinkton »

You guys think a elite .5 woukd run my whole system well im sure it will be ok for the mids and highs. Do you guys think the sub out will run my 4 ss10r well or shoukd I bite the bullet and get a .1 and a .4
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Spinkton wrote:You guys think a elite .5 woukd run my whole system well im sure it will be ok for the mids and highs. Do you guys think the sub out will run my 4 ss10r well or shoukd I bite the bullet and get a .1 and a .4

both would be fine they are just ss10r i had them they don't need alot of power to open up. i was not crazy about there low end
2020 honda accord sport
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

The elite .5 has a near 1200wrms at 1ohm sub section. If you can run 1 ohm config with your coils your be in luck plus it's class d for the sub so going to be less power suck from your cars power circuit per output power compared to running a class a/b circuit. One reason I was very keen to run this amp myself.
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Spinkton wrote:You guys think a elite .5 woukd run my whole system well im sure it will be ok for the mids and highs. Do you guys think the sub out will run my 4 ss10r well or shoukd I bite the bullet and get a .1 and a .4
The Elite.5 would send a little under 300 watts to each of four drivers at 1 ohm. The Elite.1 would send about 700 watts to each driver at 2 ohm. A general rule of thumb on the amps though is that the THD basically quadruples when you drop to 1 ohm from 2 ohm. If high end SQ is what you are trying to get, I would avoid going to 1 ohm. Otherwise, if 300 watts per sub is good enough for you, I'd say go for it.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Spinkton

Post by Spinkton »

Ok damnit lol... ok opinions --- 4 ss10r or 2 12 phoenix
gold elite subs. I was thinking oldschool but im falling for this new stuff now
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

better question what kind of music do you listen to?. are you looking for spl sq ?
I would use 2 12 over 4 10 in most cases.
if its output the 10 should be louder but I love my avi 12's they blend so great with my set up
but 8 8's would be super tight and loud..just kidding

there are a lot of nice 12 subs I have to say im not a huge pg fan boy when it comes to speakers
love there amps
2020 honda accord sport
Spinkton

Post by Spinkton »

kg1961 wrote:better question what kind of music do you listen to?. are you looking for spl sq ?
I would use 2 12 over 4 10 in most cases.
if its output the 10 should be louder but I love my avi 12's they blend so great with my set up
but 8 8's would be super tight and loud..just kidding

there are a lot of nice 12 subs I have to say im not a huge pg fan boy when it comes to speakers
love there amps

well i listed to all types of music really, 60's 70, 80, old school rap hiphop all types except metal. i dont listen to really heavy metal to techno.
so with that said, what subs do you reccomend im not sure what av's are?
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

np avi is a smaller Canadian company

if you like a lot of music I would pick focal if money was no option
pg rsdc if you can find one
im a jl fan for 10 year so a w6 or w3 sound good don't like the w7 had a 10" and 13.5 was not happy
as for other subs don't like most ppi, orion other than first gen hcca subs
in stryker car he had two dd12 so stupid loud he was running about 1500 watt but shit it could move my door when he pulled up
man I have loved the new alpine type r subs I find them good money and great set up very loud and clean
2020 honda accord sport